strobist stuff

knocker

Suspended / Banned
Name
Barry
Edit My Images
No
help needed please chaps, i have a gothic shoot to do next week, normally not a problem, however, the venues the young lady wants to shoot in are quite dark with little natural light....soooo.....i'm thinking flashguns and a very quick learning curve, what's the minmum i could get away with (skint as usual) i have a 430ex and a cheapo helios 288, the 430 has a lightsphere, any ideas would be excellent

is there anywhere to rent a strobist kit for a few days ?

cant help with tips, am useless at flash but i think lensforhire do flashes and he is a memeber here :D

You could get away with just using the two, make sure you can trigger them both though. If you have radio for the 430, you could use an optical for the other strobe. Milk carton diffusers are pretty good for low light, you can bump up the power without it being harsh, ghetto i know, but it will work.

shoot to the ambiant with a tripod then rear curtain sync the flash to light up your goth and job done, you will need a tripod though.

If I was a bit closer, you could have borrowed some kit and had a crash intro before the shoot. Sorry but Derby is a bit far.
Mart.

If I was a bit closer, you could have borrowed some kit and had a crash intro before the shoot. Sorry but Derby is a bit far.
Mart.

same lol

might be worth buying triggers, or do you have em allready?

walls make good soft light if you bounce and make the whole wall the fill light, look up the recent strobist blogs as he was talking about using a wall as soft fill and a snooted or gridded light as a hard key, might be perfect for you?

thanks for the replies, the shoot is outdoors so i may be ok with one flash.....i think

however, the venues the young lady wants to shoot in are quite dark with little natural light
what's the minmum i could get away with
Call me an old cynic, but.....
Surely you'd have established whether or not the assignment was within your ambit before accepting! ;)

Surely you'd have established whether or not the assignment was within your ambit before accepting

surely you would have established whether or not your stupid comment would seriously ****** me off before making it :annoyed:

go away and inflict your ego on someone else mr perfect ! i asked a question and normal people are answering properly !

thank you to all the other posters for the offers of gear and the advice given, much appreciated, at least the normal people on here outnumber the :wacky:s

apologies to the mods for my outburst but it's about time people like this were sorted out !

surely you would have established whether or not your stupid comment would seriously ****** me off before making it :annoyed:
I did in my mind cheers. I gave you the benefit of the doubt, assuming you'd still have some kind of sense of humour. Seems I was wrong.
go away and inflict your ego on someone else mr perfect !
I think that one statement says more about how you feel about your ego than mine tbh.
i asked a question and normal people are answering properly !
Never knew having a sense of humour was abnormal or un-proper :thinking:. Guess there's something to be learnt everyday.

bit defensive knocker smilies tend to mean a post is not intended insultingly.

And it was something you ought to know doing off camera flash stuff well takes a fair few hits, my first attempt while pretty good pales into comparison with my more recent stuff where I have 6 months of experience with more modifiers and more knowledge of how they work.

When is the shoot? Can we see the results?

Learning off-camera flash is akin to learning how to use an SLR for the first time IMO.

Don't go for anything too complicated and make sure you get some shots "in the bag" first before you start going for anything really good so you're not left with nothing.

Why not forget the strobe stuff and go for a natural light source.

As its gothic I would have thought that candles and, as you are outdoors, flaming torches would be very appropriate. Use them as props ‘in shot’ and as your key light source and if necessary use the electronic stuff in a secondary role to finish off your lighting setup.

Have fun... Oh and have a bucket of water on standby.

Sam-D

I've been actively strobing for two years, follow strobist.com daily, have all the strobe and flash gear you could want and my flash pictures just suck, so take any advice from me with a pinch of salt. But I'd have though a simple one-light set-up would serve you well. Stick the flash up high and at 45% to the subject, try and shoot it through something like milk bottles/coloured glasses (not sure how you get these up high..). I figure you want strong contrast in a gothic shot so try and get a black (non-)reflector and have this on the other side of the model to keep your shadows deep. With any luck your light might look like diffused light through stained glass. But I also like the "shoot with candlelight" advice from Sam-D

Don't go for anything too complicated and make sure you get some shots "in the bag" first before you start going for anything really good so you're not left with nothing.

I am a huge advocat of strobism and playing but this is a VERY good point - shoot and shoot, shoot the boring stuff that just works first then get cleverer before running up to taking some really weird stuff admittedly my favorite shot is usually my last of the set when I go through afterwards. But make sure if your experimenting ends up with carp you still have lush shots to work with

Back