struggling

Name
Sarah-Jo
Edit My Images
Yes
I bravely or foolishly went from a point and shoot to a Nikon D5100 which I got at Christmas time. Youtube has been a great help getting me started, I also read a book by David Busch and have found reading through previous threads have answered lots of questions. I'm still finding it hard to get it right tho, and have hundreds of shots I'm thoroughly disappointed with, it's hindering me wanting to even pick the camera up at the minute, but I'm determined not to give up. I know with practice I'll get there but it's soooo frustrating feels like I'll never remember which settings to set at what for each shot I want to achieve. I have been playing about with the S and A modes. I'm more often a little happier with the results (obviously they're far from perfect) when the subject is still as I have more time to adjust, but if it comes to anything moving I'm getting very little right at all.
So a little dark but I'm happy its in focus!!
I guessed the settings from what I was looking at as I had a bit more of a chance to mess about with them, not that I think they're 'right' by any stretch...
f/5.6
1/200 sec
ISO 640
Exp bias -0.7 step

DSC_0040_zpsf41768e4.jpg

another that I was having a play at, again was just pleased it had some focus!!
f/6.3
1/1600
ISO 400
exp bias 0 step

george_zps8e1eaabe.jpg

I think I could do with taking a bit of a guide out with me, to remind me which settings go with what, just feels a bit like I'll never get it

If you just use A to start with not sure why you would be getting problems. You can control your depth of field and then let the camera worry about everything else to start with. In your first shot why have you got -ve exp compensation when it didn't need it and is why is has come out underexposed (or partly why)

Firstly, I bet I've got 100 crap shots for every 1 you've got.

That's to make you realise that what you're finding is normal.

If it was easy it'd be no fun. There's tips above on where you went wrong. There's plenty of help available if you post specific questions, well done on not giving up.

Complete human error, I've still not got used to looking at what the screen is telling me I guess it would've shown me something wasn't right. Should the value be set at 0? Think I need to join a local group to get a bit more to grips with this before I bother you all on here, a tad out of my depth really

Last edited:
I'd echo what Phil says. I remember quite well how chuffed I was when my ratio of "keeper" photos went from 1-in-100 to 2-in-100 for the first time. The most important thing is that you haven't given up, so kudos to you for that. :)

Whatever you feel, don't get to thinking like your questions are stupid or too basic. The reason that experienced photographers have the answers is because, at one time, they had the very same questions. ;)

Complete human error, I've still not got used to looking at what the screen is telling me I guess it would've shown me something wasn't right. Should the value be set at 0? Think I need to join a local group to get a bit more to grips with this before I bother you all on here, a tad out of my depth really

By all means join a local group, but dont ever think a beginner is out of their depth here, they are not and they are very welcome. :hug2:

Your pictures will nearly all be rubbish while you are learning the ropes of a DSLR and at least you aren't taking the easy route of lettin gthe camera do everything, but trying to learn the hows and the whys. (y)

So, enjoy the few good ones, and learn from the mistakes - so for example, as already said, the first picture is dark because you seem to have dialed in -0.7 exposure bias, so you have asked the camera to under expose. Now I wonder if that is because you thought the light in the car was bright, so the camera needed help, or if it was accidental. If it was the first, the point of using S or A mode, is that the camera will deal mainly with the other one, so it doesn't matter how bright the light is, it will sort it out. You only need to dial in compensation if it isn't coping. If it was the latter, then again, you still learnt something, but the something is to regularly check the settings, as its very easy when finding your way round a whole new set of buttons to adjust something without realising you have done it.

Finally, take your time - if you are struggling to do 'action' shots, it doesn't matter, practice getting to grips with the camera on inanimate subjects first, then move on to relaxed living breathing ones, before finally tackling the moving ones. You will get there, its just patience and practice, I promise! :D

I'd recommend the following.

Set it to aperture priority and take a photo of a friend in front of a hedge, say 50 feet to friend then 50 feet to trees. Then repeat for each available aperture setting.

You should notice that as the aperture (the hole behind the lens) gets smaller I.e. the number increases, that the camera increases the length of time the shutter is open (or increases the gain (ISO)) to keep exposure constant and that the width of the in focus band increases (the depth of field).

You can then go and experiment with this effect. Then after a bit experiment shooting moving items with varying shutter speed.

Keep at it Sarah-Jo.
Don't feel that you shouldn't "bother" us here on TP.
It is a fantastic, friendly, and very informative place where I have learned a huge amount from other forum members.
Also, don't be afraid of asking questions on here. There are many people on here who are more than willing to help.

Thanks everyone, st599 that makes sense so I can physically see how the settings change the picture...it's alright keep reading about it and getting an idea of what it wants to do, but actually seeing it will help me figure it out. Can't wait for the 2 in 100 decent ones...but I'll take a step back and not expect too much, thanks again

This looks like a thread I started time ago,almost identical.....same thoughts and mental state ..you will get there in the end ...I'm nearly at 1.5 keeps per 100:) but what you will find is the one you do hit will look far better than the best shot in auto :) good luck

but what you will find is the one you do hit will look far better than the best shot in auto

Don't agree with that. Unless you are after a very specific result then using auto modes such as Aperture and Shutter priority will get what you need and will not be the reason for any bad shots.
And even using full auto will give good shots in good to average conditions.

As already said we all have lots and lots of shots that are no good, so don't be concerned about it.

It is not a problem in the digital world because photos cost nothing and all the data is there to analyse what went wrong.

Understanding aperture, shutter speed and ISO, how they relate to each other and the effect on the photos is crucial. There are some good tutorials/information on this site and also here -

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/

Just keep on taking lots of shots, things will improve.

Dave

Last edited:
I agree with ernesto.
Don't let yourself feel "pressured" into using full manual, because people say that this is the only mode which gets good results.
It's not.
Even full auto will let you concentrate on focus and composition, get that right to start with.
Then try and learn about the relationship between ISO, aperture, and shutter speed. Once you understand the exposure triangle, then start to move towards playing with each of the 3 elements and see what happens.
And keep practicing.
Good luck.

Guys on these forums will really help you out but you also will need to read your manual and some extra reading. YouTube has some nice simple clips for understanding exposure.
When I got my camera I was overwhelmed with the extra functions on it, slowly I learnt, some photos I got heavily criticised on here but the last ones I posted got some really good comments. I went into manual mode and played about with aperture values and shutters speeds etc and one day it suddenly clicked and I understood what I was doing/meant to be doing.
I also found that eventually I needed to learn basic photoshop.
Keep trying and practising.

I Also agree with ernesto and GHP, I very rarely use manual, unless I absolutely need to, I.e using studio flash. I shoot mostly in aperature priority or shutter Priority then dial in + - EV and + - flash compensation.
As GHP says learn the exposure triangle, this really is your best friend and lots of practice.

i tell you the best thing i ever did when starting out, i went on a forum meet one day, there was only me and two other both very experienced togs. From that one day i learnt a huge amount and still fall back on what they showed me now..

go do the same you wont regret it..

also a very quick 10 second edit and picture can be saved

DSC_0040_zpsf41768e4 by harrylessman, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, st599 that makes sense so I can physically see how the settings change the picture...it's alright keep reading about it and getting an idea of what it wants to do, but actually seeing it will help me figure it out. Can't wait for the 2 in 100 decent ones...but I'll take a step back and not expect too much, thanks again

Perhaps also fix the ISO to say 200. This way you'll more easily see the relation ship between aperture you select and the shutter speed the camera selects.

i tell you the best thing i ever did when starting out, i went on a forum meet one day, there was only me and two other both very experienced togs. From that one day i learnt a huge amount and still fall back on what they showed me now..

go do the same you wont regret it..

also a very quick 10 second edit and picture can be saved

DSC_0040_zpsf41768e4 by harrylessman, on Flickr

WOW :) thank you, something that could've been achieved by just tweaking the settings, perfect! I was so near yet so far lol

Perhaps also fix the ISO to say 200. This way you'll more easily see the relation ship between aperture you select and the shutter speed the camera selects.

Will do, thanks...hopefully won't be long before I'm sharing decent pics for criticism :)

the edit i did for you is just basic, lighten up a tad bit of saturation to richen the colours very easy and will be on any editing software that comes standard on most computers ;)

Good advice from Suggs too, about going on a meet up of some sort.
It's always good to meet like minded togs, most of whom will love showing you what it's all about.
And keep trying, and posting.
You'll soon get there.

Sarah-Jo someone told me to get this book when I first started - it helped me get to grips with things a little better - Understanding Exposure - Bryan Peterson

After a year I'm only at the 2/100 stage and I read and practice A LOT :eek: but stick with it and you'll find it's soooo worth it :)

Back