Stuck Step Ring

Name
Jon
Edit My Images
Yes
I bought a cheap lens hood for my Sony A6000 kit lens. TBH it never fitted particularly well and I've obviously overtightened the step ring in an attempt to stop it flapping around.

Of course now I can't get the ring off - I've tried holding the lens firmly and trying to shift the ring with pliers but it's stuck solid.

Any ingenious suggestions to get the thing off!?

Rubber gloves to give a firm grip?

Jack the Hat is a good company. Worth bookmarking for when you need all sorts of accessories.

For anything stuck to a filter-thread you want to apply your grasping pressure from the front (e.g. push and twist on a rubber mat), or --as the wrenches do-- equally from all sides to prevent deformation.

If you can find a way of heating the ring without damaging the lens, that would work. I would usually suggest dipping in hot water, but water and lenses don't mix. I use this method to remove stubborn lids on jars.

If you can find a way of heating the ring without damaging the lens, that would work. I would usually suggest dipping in hot water, but water and lenses don't mix. I use this method to remove stubborn lids on jars.
But the lid is on the outside of the jar - so expanding it loosens it. A filter ring is on the inside, so expanding it would tighten it ;)

But the lid is on the outside of the jar - so expanding it loosens it. A filter ring is on the inside, so expanding it would tighten it ;)

Thanks Phil, I was aware of that, but I mentioned heat as a method of expansion. The other alternative is to cut it off using a very fine saw.

So, cool it... :)

Saw it off? [emoji33]

Definitely a filter wrench or pressure from the front to hold steady while you twist it.

Last edited:
Put it in a Ziplok freezer bag and leave it in the fridge over night, it will come the following morning, at least it has always worked for me with stuborn filters and rings.

Really - put the lens in?

There's a problem with that?
Have you never gone out with your camera equipment when it's cold/snowing?
I've taken pics at -25C on a glacier in France... considerably colder than a freezer.

I've taken pics at -25C on a glacier in France... considerably colder than a freezer.

Yeah, fair points!

Saw 2 small notches. Each on precisely opposite sides of the ring. Then take a steel ruler or other straight edge and place it across both notches and turn it.

Last edited:
Considerably colder than a fridge too.....;)

As Mike says above. Press down on a flat surface & turn. You could use the back of a mouse mat, or even the rubber sole of a shoe.

Saw 2 small notches. Each on precisely opposite sides of the ring. Then take a steel ruler or other straight edge and place it across both notches and turn it.

That could well be the best option, using pliers to try and get it off will probably have deformed it, luckily step-up rings are cheap enough.
All the lenses in my bag have elastic bands (dropped by postman) on the rear lens cap, just for when filters get stuck while out in the field.
Work a treat to get that extra grip and take up no space.

Back