Students: Windows 7 & MS Office FULL version

If you are on a technical course, eg computer science, then you probably also have access to 'academic alliance' which allows you to download and use for free forever professional copies of almost every windows OS, including windows 7 professional edition.

Speak to your sys admins or similar for details :)

You can also access server OS's, MS SQL and a range of other ms software for free through 'dreamspark'.

Just added the professional version now at the same price !!

thts great , im just about to purchase but i was wondering because its 16gb can you pause the download and turn off your computer then continue at another time or does it have to be done in one session ?

Or get a mac and get a great OS included. The recent Snow Leopard upgrade was only £25 for anyone...

Or get a mac and get a great OS included. The recent Snow Leopard upgrade was only £25 for anyone...

So where is the Mac you can get for £30 ?

No there isn't one. If someone has a PC now then this is clearly the way to go unless they actually want a new computer!

or get a pc and get a great OS included... :thinking:

and with windows, they don't charge you for service packs ;)

Last edited:
Look, Windows 7 is a decent enough OS. They both have their advantages and disadvantages but there is no point in turning every mention of a PC or Mac into the same ridiculous name calling sillyness. I use both OSes extensively, I just prefer MacOS personally its like the lightroom v aperture, canon v nikon rubbish... give it a rest!

Look, Windows 7 is a decent enough OS. They both have their advantages and disadvantages but there is no point in turning every mention of a PC or Mac into the same ridiculous name calling sillyness. I use both OSes extensively, I just prefer MacOS personally its like the lightroom v aperture, canon v nikon rubbish... give it a rest!

The best post this site has ever seen (y)

Almost every forum at the moment that talks of this deal seems to attract the odd "get a mac" comment. Just let it go. We know they are in the wrong, just ignore them ;) ;) ;)

By the way just in case anyone hasnt spotted it this offer can be used for staff as well as students. It mentions it in the terms and conditions.

I'm staff at Southampton Uni and have got my copy fine (y)

I'm staff at Southampton Uni and have got my copy fine (y)

I presume it's a download - can you save it to disc for reinstallation at a later date do you know ?

Also does anyone know if after you leave Uni and you need to re-install you can ??

I presume it's a download - can you save it to disc for reinstallation at a later date do you know ?

Also does anyone know if after you leave Uni and you need to re-install you can ??

Its a download but you can choose to have a backup disc sent to you for an extra £9, which i decided to do just in case I upgrade my PC in the future

If your lucky enough to work for a college or uni its worth getting in with touch with your IT dept, I had an email yesterday telling me that as part of the college licencing I was entitled to a free copy of windows 7 and office 2007, all I had to do was supply a dvd disc, needless to say I was over to em faster than Jenson Button :D even though I had already found where they had hidden the image and have been running it on my laptop for nearly 2 weeks now :naughty:

You're lucky you can get free copies of Office through college/uni. We're part of the ELMS (Academic Alliance) programme, and Office is pretty much the only thing excluded.

Back