Studio 3 head kit - purchase advice please

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Im looking to buy a set of lights for my recently coverted garage, I've seen this set from stable imaging, and for the price (£200) you get a lot of kit ... question is, is it worth getting what seems to be a cheap set with a lot of stuff, or is there another kit that is much better for not much more money ? (budget £250)

I have black and white backgrounds, and wanted a 3 light setup to be able to blow the background out on a white setup whilst keep the model well lit, and with the black, get good light coverage and perhaps use a hairlight etc

the models will generaly be dogs, although the odd human may want a shot too :LOL:

Any advice or experience of this kit (or others similar etc) is welcomed

Many thanks
Phil

is it worth getting what seems to be a cheap set with a lot of stuffl
If it seems to good to be true, it usually is.

Dependant on your needs, I'd save up for a mid range kit by perhaps Bowens or Lencarta. 2nd hand is a good option. Perhaps use a speedlight for your background.

Think you'll struggle with a 250 budget, esp new.

thanks

I appreciate that it wont last for ever, and also will not be able to get extra softboxes etc to fit it easily, however my thoughts where ...

as im just starting up and not sure how much studio work I will get atm, then it would be a good starting point, and also portable to use out and about for when I do traveling setups etc (eg taking shots at my dog training school)

is there another kit you would recommend ? (appreciate it is out of my current price bracket)

cheers
Phil

I bought one of these kits 3 weeks ago and love it, there are also a few threads on here about this same light setup that swayed me.

You might want to have a look around backdropsource.com

I just bought a 3 light kit with boom stand plus two softboxes and a 3m backdrop frame with 6m x 3m white canvas for £300 and it's brill.

A lot of the stuff on there is continuous lighting though, not flash heads.

there's been lots of dodgyness regarding backdrop-source if I remember right... though don't take that as gospel by any means.

http://www.stableimaging.co.uk/stud...studio-flash/strobe-lighting-kit/prod_14.html is a pretty popular kit, support from that site is meant to be really good, and that's a hell of a lot of kit for £200.

A speedlight isn't quite enough to blow out the backdrop really, ideally 2 lights on backdrop + 1 or two on subject is where it's at, though you can get away with 1 on subject quite happily

I have the stable imaging light set and for the money they are very good, I would recommend them.
That said I am selling all my studio kit soon, shame you aren't nearer, as here is a lot of kit, but too much to post.

there's been lots of dodgyness regarding backdrop-source if I remember right... though don't take that as gospel by any means.

I've had two orders from them with no problems, but based on your comments got quite a shock when I googled 'problems with backdropsource' and based on the results would be wary of ordering from them again :eek:

thanks everyone for your replies, Im going to place an order tonight :) will post results when I've got them and had a little play :)

Cheers
Phil

thanks

I appreciate that it wont last for ever, and also will not be able to get extra softboxes etc to fit it easily, however my thoughts where ...

cheers
Phil

Great find..I'm looking for some lights but want to add a beauty dish as well .I think the softboxes are a bowens s fit so maybe able to add more later ;)

I'm awaiting a call back or email from them to confirm this.

Sadly not Bowens s fit, "universal fit" whatever that means.

Does anyone who has these lights know of a beauty dish that fits these lights?

Sadly not Bowens s fit, "universal fit" whatever that means.

Does anyone who has these lights know of a beauty dish that fits these lights?

'Universal fit' is just 3 thumbscrews that will allow any lightweight accessory to fit to the lights. Beauty dishes are far from lightweight.

well ... ordered sunday evening, received today .. first impressions ... v good

images here

thanks for everyones help/comments/experience :)
Phil

Back