Beginner Studio flash kits.

A very long time ago, but from memory it isn't on the back panel, it's on the top of the body very near to the back panel.
I remember this because I had quite a few of them back in the 90's, then in about 2000 I made the mistake of buying their latest model, the Micro 750 (I think) and had to send them all back for various reasons, and they also had the problem that the receptor was on the back panel where it hardly ever "saw" the flash. I remember asking TFC why they hadn't put it in the same (sensible) place as the model 500.

If this doesn't help you could ask their UK distributor, www.theflashcentre.co.uk

I'll give them a shout. I can't see anything which would be a receiver at all.

Thanks for all your help, everyone!

It's the clear button that also turns the IR sensor on or off. Easiest way to test if it's working is to use a TV remote, just place it very close to that clear button on the head and press a button on the remote which should fire the head.

It's better to go with a radio trigger but I suggested the IR trigger because I thought you might struggle to find a cheap Amphenol adapter.

Garry, I think the Elinchrom heads with those sensors at the top were mostly Prolinca branded ones, I have the sneaking suspicion they moved the sensor to the back panel because when it's on the top it makes it a lot harder to get the case on or off and it's easier to damage it as it protrudes from the rest of the unit.

It's the clear button that also turns the IR sensor on or off. Easiest way to test if it's working is to use a TV remote, just place it very close to that clear button on the head and press a button on the remote which should fire the head.

I'll give it a go once it's been repaired... Mate of mines dad says he should be able to sort them. But thanks

It's better to go with a radio trigger but I suggested the IR trigger because I thought you might struggle to find a cheap Amphenol adapter.

Yeah, I've struggled to find one for a cheap price. I'll go the IR trigger route to start with

Handbook here E:/Downloads/op_inst_el_250_1000--en.pdf The one illustrated looks like it has the later 1/4in/6.3mm sync socket Garry mentioned. The IR sensor is commonly known as a 'slave' cell. An IR trigger in the camera hot-shoe should work fine indoors and is all you need for wireless working (y)

Hope you're mate's dad is fully aware of the potentially lethal high voltages going on inside flash units :eek:

Edit: does that link work? It's from the Elinchrom website under Support for Discontinued units https://www.elinchrom.com/support_downloads.php

Last edited:
Handbook here E:/Downloads/op_inst_el_250_1000--en.pdf The one illustrated looks like it has the later 1/4in/6.3mm sync socket Garry mentioned. The IR sensor is commonly known as a 'slave' cell. An IR trigger in the camera hot-shoe should work fine indoors and is all you need for wireless working (y)

Hope you're mate's dad is fully aware of the potentially lethal high voltages going on inside flash units :eek:

Edit: does that link work? It's from the Elinchrom website under Support for Discontinued units https://www.elinchrom.com/support_downloads.php

He does, he used to have a small photography shop years ago apparently and is an electrician by trade.

Once he's had a look and hopefully got them up and running I'll get the IR trigger. Only going to need it inside for now

That's actually a good unit, the branding is irrelevant, I've seen the same model sold as Elinchrom, Prolinca, Kenro, Hensel etc.

It'll work well with your heads.

Assumed it was just garbage... haha.

Assumed it was just garbage... haha.

I have the Prolinca branded version although I paid a lot more than that for it some ten years ago, about £50 as I recall - but that was cheap compared to the few radio trigger options available then. It feels a bit flimsy (I wouldn't recommend dropping it) but I used it for everything back then and still use it now and then. It has always performed perfectly (y)

The only other IR trigger commonly available now is from Interfit I think. I had one and it failed after a few minutes.

I have the Prolinca branded version although I paid a lot more than that for it some ten years ago, about £50 as I recall - but that was cheap compared to the few radio trigger options available then. It feels a bit flimsy (I wouldn't recommend dropping it) but I used it for everything back then and still use it now and then. It has always performed perfectly (y)

The only other IR trigger commonly available now is from Interfit I think. I had one and it failed after a few minutes.

For £4 its worth the gamble really... and by the time it arrives from china, hopefully the lights will be repaired ;)

Back