Studio Floor Paint

when i run a big hire studio in london years ago we painted the coves in white emulsion paint, on a fashion shoot i would touch up the floor during the lunch break, we painted the cove floors most days, get used to it. David

when i run a big hire studio in london years ago we painted the coves in white emulsion paint, on a fashion shoot i would touch up the floor during the lunch break, we painted the cove floors most days, get used to it. David

^ This bit.

The couple of commercial studios that I know in London repaint daily (between uses) and sometimes mid session!

(y)Yep, that's the only answer - matt white emulsion on an almost dry roller, just keep touching it up as you go:)

It might be worth a mention here that I found out a couple of weeks ago that not all mat emulsion is the same.

There is a difference in the economy priced mat and better quality vinyl mat emulsion. The better quality mat will probably wipe clean easier while you can tell the cheaper version leaves a powdery residue when you wipe it.

It was just pure fluke before I knew this, I've been using good quality mat on my infinity cove as I have no white power when I wipe it.

Edit: The importance of this is, you don't want clients with white marks on their clothing after sitting on the floor etc.

Last edited:
What brand do you use?

I always use Leyland paint that I puchase from a Johnson's paint store on a local Ind. Est.

Buy sheer fluke as I walked up to the counter with my 'Leyland Trade Vinyl Matt' I past some 'Leyland Trade Contract' on special offer much cheaper.

When I enquired what the difference was, the very knowledgeable assistant explained about the powdery finish of the 'Contract' version.

I can confirm this as where I must have used the 'Contract' version 4-5 years ago, this morning I wiped it and got some white residue on my fingers.

This is what im thinking. Easy to get a hold of and not stupidly expensive.

We have 3 large studios so painting them every night would be a ball ache!
It definitely needs to be a good quality matt white emulsion. Garage floor paint (or anything else that's oil or spirit based) will be a real pain, with the smell and the fact that the roller is much more difficult to clean after use.

As Garry says, emulsion doesn't smell much, it dries very quickly and you can wrap the roller in cling film to keep the paint wet in it rather than clean it ;-)

Last edited:
Garage floor paints out due to the cost

White emulsion is what on just now, i'll roll about on it in my black clothes on Friday when I get in and see if its clean enough.

A damp proof bathroom paint would let us put a damp mop or wipe over it to keep it clean and hygienic. It would have to be water based though.

We'll be putting an order in soon gary, how are you for a heavy duty boom arm, a 600 ultra pro and the control unit?

White emulsion is what on just now, i'll roll about on it in my black clothes on Friday when I get in and see if its clean enough.

A damp proof bathroom paint would let us put a damp mop or wipe over it to keep it clean and hygienic. It would have to be water based though.

We'll be putting an order in soon gary, how are you for a heavy duty boom arm, a 600 ultra pro and the control unit?
All in stock at the moment.

I think you may have missed what I was trying to say.

Any good brand of paint will do the job. It's the wording on the tub you have to watch.

On the side of the tub it should read 'VINYL Matt Emulsion' and not the cheaper 'Matt Emulsion'

the best emulsion paint would be dulux diamond matt
very hard wearing
contract matt is for new plaster work and is designed to let the plaster breathe hence why it has no vinyl in it

TV studios use a plastic undercoat first and after about 15 layers of paint you can peel off the undercoat taking the white paint as well leaving an almost new floor behind. this stops the 100's of coats of paint on top of the floor making it a poor surface for cameras to move around, used to be called "Pebble mill pealable" named after Pebble mill studios in birmingham. still used in TV land.

Now that we're a few months in I can say that the Acrylic matt white is great,

We recently repainted with water base scrubbable and its no where near as good.

Back to the trade store for more!

Now that we're a few months in I can say that the Acrylic matt white is great,

We recently repainted with water base scrubbable and its no where near as good.

Back to the trade store for more!

Told you so:)

Hi Stevie - what acrylic matt did you end up going for? Im in the process of building a small studio with infinite cove and trying to get the right paint.

Last edited:
Dulux do a Diamond Matt finish paint (not cheap) that is hard wearing and can be wiped down.

http://www.icipaints.co.uk/products/info/dulux_trade_diamond_matt.jsp
diamond_matt_lrg.jpg

might be worth investing in.

In case anyone is interested we have found some scrubbable matt white paint.

Looks to be ideal

http://www.crowntrade.co.uk/Products/HighPerformance/Pages/CleanExtremeScrubbableMatt.aspx

We use it a lot, (as we're decorators) It's very good, but for wiping I think you'll find its not as good as the Dulux Diamond Matt (that is more wipeable)

The Crown is a lot dryer... to the touch and feels slightly rough (hence why is suitable for mild scrubbing).

As a MATT finish though, the Crown Clean Extreme is better 'looking' than the Diamond matt (IMHO).

another option is Contract emulsion.
http://www.macphersonpaints.co.uk/pages/products.aspx?productref=6
eclipse.jpg

Eclipse is cheap as the 'GOOD' stuff thats in Vinyl Matt isn't in it, hence why it's used on contracts.. its dryer and doesn't have that 'sheen' look to is as it hasn't the quality pigments and oils in it that the more expensive Vinyl Matt paints have. Also not Milled as fine like Farrow & Ball type paints.

It would be idea as it has very good coverage

BUT if you use a warm damp cloth on it to clean it you can find some white pigment will be transferred back onto your cloth as the water softens up the paint again. That is not likely to happen with the better quality paints such as the Diamond matt and Clean Exreme, even a quality Dulux/Crown Vinyl Matt paint should soften back up... (we find it does a little it over wiped).

another option is Contract emulsion.
http://www.macphersonpaints.co.uk/pages/products.aspx?productref=6
eclipse.jpg

Eclipse is cheap as the 'GOOD' stuff thats in Vinyl Matt isn't in it, hence why it's used on contracts.. its dryer and doesn't have that 'sheen' look to is as it hasn't the quality pigments and oils in it that the more expensive Vinyl Matt paints have. Also not Milled as fine like Farrow & Ball type paints.

It would be idea as it has very good coverage

BUT if you use a warm damp cloth on it to clean it you can find some white pigment will be transferred back onto your cloth as the water softens up the paint again. That is not likely to happen with the better quality paints such as the Diamond matt and Clean Exreme, even a quality Dulux/Crown Vinyl Matt paint should soften back up... (we find it does a little it over wiped).

we painted the whole studio using This trade paint. Best paint I've ever used!

We recently repainted the floor using a cheaper 'scrubbable' from homebase in an emergency and its rubbish!

Might try the diamond stuff.

In all honesty we're thinking about getting shot of the curve..........

we painted the whole studio using This trade paint. Best paint I've ever used!

We recently repainted the floor using a cheaper 'scrubbable' from homebase in an emergency and its rubbish!

Might try the diamond stuff.

In all honesty we're thinking about getting shot of the curve..........

I'm just in the process of converting part of my double garage into a home studio and one of the things I wanted to do was paint the floor with say a brilliant white garage floor paint but sadly the closest you can get seems to be white (not brilliant white). I'm a bit dubious of using regular paint as I'm concerned about the paint cracking & peeling from either foot traffic or moisture from the garage.

Did you ever try the Diamond stuff? and was it any better than the acrylic/vinyl options? (specifically for the floor)

I'm just in the process of converting part of my double garage into a home studio and one of the things I wanted to do was paint the floor with say a brilliant white garage floor paint but sadly the closest you can get seems to be white (not brilliant white). I'm a bit dubious of using regular paint as I'm concerned about the paint cracking & peeling from either foot traffic or moisture from the garage.

Did you ever try the Diamond stuff? and was it any better than the acrylic/vinyl options? (specifically for the floor)

We ended us using various Brand versions, hard wearing scrubbable stuff. Got painted ½ times a week. but there were 45 shoots +

We ended us using various Brand versions, hard wearing scrubbable stuff. Got painted ½ times a week. but there were 45 shoots +
Thanks for the quick reply :)

Regarding the upkeep, do you find that flaking/cracking to be the main issue? or is it rather the cleaning? i.e. is it more or less impossible to stop matt wall paint from getting dirty that it's easier just to periodically repaint it and because of that you don't really encounter a flaking issue because it doesn't have the time to wear/chip away before it's next recoat?

It never flaked in 2 years - It was painted on top of hardboard/chip board with plastered seems.

Cleaning is the issue - we often had shoots with shoes.

Also - new blue jeans. Put 4/5 people who have been wearing shoes all day (sweaty feet) so the floor gets dampish - new levi's - mess. Studs in jeans left silver marks.

Unless it was really bad it made little impact to photos but didn't looks as nice as a freshly painted floor.

Back