Studio Head Advice

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
A while ago I sold my studio heads (Lencrata Smart Flash 2 and Elite Pro 300). However,I fancy getting back into it, my finger hasn't been on the pulse recently, in terms of what products are out there and whats good / not good... so is there any recommendations, just one head for now?

I have my old modifiers - reflector with grid and an octa with Grid. Mostly shooting portraits in the house..

A while ago I sold my studio heads (Lencrata Smart Flash 2 and Elite Pro 300). However,I fancy getting back into it, my finger hasn't been on the pulse recently, in terms of what products are out there and whats good / not good... so is there any recommendations, just one head for now?

We're in a pretty good place at the moment, even modest studio heads are pretty competent now and most of the resources appear to be going into improving LED and portable heads (e.g. Godox AD200, 400, 600).

So unless you want/need battery powered heads or your requirements have changed you're probably best off getting the latest revision of your old heads.

The latest smart flash are 300w and can be controlled with a Godox receiver that’ll also control flash guns.
That’d be the biggest change from your previous.

I will also advise that you go for the Godox QS range i.e. QS300 or QS400 as they are practically the same as the high end Lencartas at a fraction of the price

I will also advise that you go for the Godox QS range i.e. QS300 or QS400 as they are practically the same as the high end Lencartas at a fraction of the price
But without the support and warranty.

If seriously costcutting - the best bang for buck is the cheapest Godox from a box shifter - but if I was spending a serious amount of money kitting out a studio - paying a bit extra for support, a warranty and even repairs beyond the warranty period are big considerations.

There are 3 official Godox retailers where you will get a warranty, anything else is stupid, so Photomart, Pixapro, lencarta all give warranties, things go wrong and you will get no support from mr EBay here today, gone tomorrow

Mike

Last edited:
This thread may indicate the importance of buying from a reputable company and paying more https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/godox-ad600-pro-fault.694161/
That's just a guess, as the OP hasn't come back to us.

What you need to understand is that Godox appears to have very little interest in providing customer service. They offer a very limited warranty that involves the customer sending the unit back to their factory in Shenzhen, Southern China, and paying delivery both ways. The cost of this is extremely high, and gets much worse where lithium batteries are involved because it's unbelievably expensive to (legally) send lithium batteries by air.

The genuine, bricks and mortar sellers who offer a real warranty do the repairs, both in and out of warranty, themselves and with little or no support from Godox. One of them has a factory trained engineer, with support from other staff that he has trained and in the unlikely event that warranty repairs can't be carried the unit is simply replaced, new for old. The internet sellers, who generally evade import duty and VAT to sell more cheaply, have none of this and generally aren't interested either.

Back