Studio image

Edit My Images
No
Did a Bonny Baby competition at work this morning. This was the winning image, I'm quite pleased with this one.
Comments please.

IMG_0058edcopy.jpg

Congratulations on winning the Bonny Baby competition, its a lovely shot. (y)

Although I do find myself twisting my head to look at it the other way up, not a criticism just that I am.

I think those piercing eyes made it a winner :)

I don't like the burnt out whites but I also think I get hung up on those sort of points too much sometimes :)

Congrats.

I'm so sorry to be negative
I've come back to this one a couple of times
but it just doesn't do anything for me :crying:

Thanks for the comments.
mm, that's fine, not everybody will like it.
I think you guys misunderstood me, I work as a photographer, I didn't enter the competition, I run it.
I do a studio shoot on a monday morning and photograph any baby/toddler who wants to enter, and then a winner is chosen from all the entrants.
Thanks for all the comments.
Robert, I like Venture's style, which thios emulates, it's not to everybody's taste though. :)

Thanks for the comments guys. People seem to either love or hate this style. :)

I really like the shot, the eyes make it for me, would you be able to tell me how to bring out colours in the eyes? It would be great.

Dave

I really like the shot, the eyes make it for me, would you be able to tell me how to bring out colours in the eyes? It would be great.

Dave

Sure, there are many ways to do it, but here's my way.
Use the pen tool to cut around the eyes and make a selection with a feather of 0px. Next duplicate your original layer. Invert select your two eye selection and choose a large eraser. Erase everything on your top layer, you should be left with just the two eyes. Keep this layer, as you may want more of these, so make an extra duplicate now and hide it. Deselect your remaining selection. Now go Image -> Adjustments -> Photo Filter and choose an appropriate colour. Adjust the amount to between 50 and 100%, whatever looks right to you. Then just change the layer blending mode to maybe soft light, screen or something similar. It probably won't look quite right to start with, so duplicate your hidden layer, unhide your duplicate and repeat the process using a different layer blending mode.
I normally use about four layers set to a mixture of soft light, screen and lighten. After a bit of practice you'll get used to what looks good to you.
I don't know how good an explanation that was, but you get the gist. Have a play and see what you come up with, you can get loads of interesting effects. Here's another.

whatlieswithin.jpg

If anybody else would like a more in-depth explanation then reply to this thread. If enough people are interested, I may do a tutorial on it.

They say eyes are the windows to the soul so thanks for the brief tutorial.

I always wonder how to improve the eyes in my shots, so will give this a go. (y)

brilliant shot!!

thats just the kind of thing I aspire to!

Great short tutorial on the eyes (always wondered about that)

I for one would be voting for you writing out a full tutorial on it.

Thanks very much Hannah.
If I get the time I'll do a tutorial for this and post it up.

Back