Studio Lens

Edit My Images
No
Hi All,
I've just joined to forum as I'm considering opening a small home studio with the kit I have - get some backgrounds and maybe sell some prints. I'm no pro and the prices will reflect :)

Just wondering what lens would be best suited for studio work - portraits and standing shots etc. I have a Cannon 400D and it came with an 18-55 but I'm considering getting a 50mm with a lower F Value (1.8 I think) - would that be suitable ?

Thank - any help appreciated!

The 1.8 lens is fine for portraits imho. Although it will restrict how close you can get to the subject. Not evryone likes a camera stuffed in there face " Trust me i know..."

Your on a crop so you will have about 85 mm equivalent. so thats good .

Personally i use a 24-105 for the little bit of zoom . It helps me change from full length to close ups without moving...

md

Hello and welcome to TP. If you will be using studio lights F1.8 wont be of much use as you you be shooting around F8~F11. I also use the 24-105 for portrait work. Its more flexible and pin sharp.

Thanks for the warm welcome and the info!

I'll be using (upto) 3x 250w strobes and if need be the speedlight off camera.

I find at the moment that the 400d indoors, with the 18-55 as low as I can get it (F5.6) at 1600iso, shots can come out a little dark - add in the onboard flash (and with the speedlight) and it casts some nasty shadows. Outdoors its wonderful, vibrant and pinsharp but it lacks indoors IMO (or perhaps its me!) Set to auto indoors its almost useless!

Thats the reason for getting the 1.8 50mm is for indoor shots where the light isnt always good.

When Santa has gone I should have the 50mm, 18-55mm & 55-200 but I'll take a peek at some 24-200's!

Thanks!

If your using it for studio work, you will be creating the light so there wont be any low light conditions.

i used to have the 55-200 (tamron) and it was way too slow at focusing. the kit lens is a ok lens but its not a quality peice of glass.

if your looking for a better lens for studio i would not get the 55-200 or the 50 1.8 and put the cash together and maybe a bit more for something sharper

even the 17-85 (kit lens from the 40D) will be a nice step up and can be had for £200

hope that helps, if not please feel free to ask questions.

Sounds like you haven't worked out the correct exposure from your strobes. As others have said you should be working around F8 - F11 at 1/125th of a second ISO 100-200 and setting your strobes up (with a light meter preferably) at the correct power level to obtain the correct flash exposure and illuminate your subject using the strobes.

Using a prime lens is possibly to restrictive for studio work - remember it's not only head and shoulder portraits that people want. 24-105 is perfectly OK for a crop camera or the 18-55 kit lens is better than a prime - which has very little advantage as you wont use it at F1.8.

If you advertise a studio set-up then whatever price you charge people will expect studio results - so be careful to read-up on studio techniques and your equipment.

I havent got the strobes yet - I'm having the problems with the flashes on top of the camera. In good light (even) its spot on, if its a dark room, the flashes are poor. When I get the studio strobes Im sure the pics will be much better.

I wouldn't use the 400d at 1600 ISO, it (mine) produces a lot of noise at that level
What is the shutter speed you are using? I think the limit of the 400d with a flash is 1/200th?

Back