Studio lightin Kits

Name
bryn
Edit My Images
No
Hi All can anyone help im lookin for a lightin kit ..Has anyone had any kits off ebay they seem good value but and i know its a big but ... if anyone has any info on their ebay lighting deals id like to here your thoughts many thanks:help:

Hi

I have no idea really either, Ive been looking at studio lighting and found this Clicky linky, and this Clicky Linky Ive bought from Happy Sales UK and they delivered quicker than they quoted,( Im not affiliated to them) as to if their any good I dont know I would be interested to hear if it is or not

Last edited:
Generally speaking, you get what you pay for.

But with Ebay lighting kits, you generally get less than you pay for. Most of them are mis-described by people who don't seem to know what they're selling, so even if they do what you expect them too, you're not likely to get great customer support if (when) they go wrong.

I'm currently looking at a set of studio flash's, when i've got the cash together I will be going for the Lencarta Smartflash kit :)

I'm currently looking at a set of studio flash's, when i've got the cash together I will be going for the Lencarta Smartflash kit :)

Just ordered mine, will be here friday. Cant wait !!!!!! Thanks Garry.

just counting the days to my birthday now, wife is gonna add the rest of the money for them :)

Generally speaking, you get what you pay for.

But with Ebay lighting kits, you generally get less than you pay for. Most of them are mis-described by people who don't seem to know what they're selling, so even if they do what you expect them too, you're not likely to get great customer support if (when) they go wrong.

Garry so are they worth considering as a first kit, is it like getting a 400D then upgrading to a 7D, when the need arises, I ask as I have absolutely no idea, and dont want to spend a fortune on great kit, its ike suck it and see, if it will get lots of use or just occasional hope that makes sense,

thanks all the make is tsl 2009 3x 500w with a fair amount of extras there on ebay if one has any further info

Garry so are they worth considering as a first kit, is it like getting a 400D then upgrading to a 7D, when the need arises, I ask as I have absolutely no idea, and dont want to spend a fortune on great kit, its ike suck it and see, if it will get lots of use or just occasional hope that makes sense,
Let's put it this way.

Just a couple of days I was talking to the head of a very well known lighting firm, very much a competitor of Lencarta, who like me has been in the photographic business all his working life. We don't always agree on who makes the best lights...

He told me that he doesn't have a problem with competition from decent makes, his problem is with Ebay sellers and the like who sell cheap rubbish. Why? Because he believes that their poor colour consistency, poor flash energy consistency and poor accessories make it impossible for people to get consistently good results, and because of this people tend to blame themselves for what is really the fault of their equipment.

He reckons that because of this, the buyers of these lights give up studio photography, which is a loss both to them and to the industry.

And do you know what? I 100% agree with him - which must be a first:)

To the OP - I bought the same kit as in Daves second clicky linky (but for £60 less) but to supplement my existing lights in my home studio. As others have said, you get what you pay for - the stands are crap, the softboxes are incredibly hard to put together (so never come apart again), mount using 4 screws to hold them in place on the flash heads, and the amount of power adjustment is not great.
However - if you are looking for something cheap to get you started with "studio" lighting without spending a fortune, this might work for you. Just don't expect to get amazing, pro level photos from it.
My home setup works for me, for family/friends etc and for learning different lighting etc. But if I was starting over, I'd save the extra money and get a "name brand" kit - as Garry mentions, better consistency, better accessories etc.

Let's put it this way.

which must be a first:)

Thanks Garry (y) I do know what you mean, is it possible to get a reasonable set up, say for taking great family portraits (well given my skill level and need to learn and work out situations correctly) for the samish price and, what would i get a 2 or 3 light set up and do I need continuous or flash (combination), sorry to ramble but I have very little idea on this kind lighting specs, but more framing and natural light, if that makes sense

Apology to the OP but it relates to your Q, dont mean to Hijack your thread

Last edited:
Thanks Garry (y) I do know what you mean, is it possible to get a reasonable set up, say for taling great family portraits (well given my skill level and need to learn and work out situations correctly) without all the fancy barn doors and filers, for the samish prize and, what would i get a 2 or 3 light set up and do I need continuous or flash (combination), sorry to ramble but I have very little idea on this kind lighting specs, but more framing and natural light, if that makes sense

Apology to the OP but it relates to your Q, dont mean to Hijack your thread

1. Forget about continuous lighting, it's horrible for photographing people. Get flash
2. Yes, there are some very cheap studio flash kits that do work, they just don't work very well and probably won't last very long. You won't find it anywhere near as easy to get good (or consistent) results with them but some people feel that it's worth buying them just as part of the learning process.
3. Barn doors really belong to the era of continuous lighting. They do have their uses for flash but they certainly aren't the first accessory that most people buy. They're popular with Ebay sellers basically because most of the lights sold on there don't have interchangeable reflectors so the choice of accessories is limited to barn doors with coloured filters (which cost almost nothing to produce), umbrellas and tiny softboxes (big ones weight too much for the lights).

Take a look at the Lencarta Learning Centre, there are a few articles in there that may help you to understand the basics.

As for a kit, the Lencarta SmartFlash starts at just £255 for a complete kit

Last edited:
Hi Garry N Jim

Thanks Ill have a look at them the links dont work but have found the ones you mean, (y)

why go flash then because you see photographers in supermarkets using contiguous lighting,( I know thats a bad example) Ive tried 2 head safari flash once with Darren (cowaski) in a remote location, and got awful results, due tpo user error, well it was a pitch black night shoot,, I took 4 or 5 shots and give up just used my onboard and OCF, rather than waste the time, and let everyone else try use them, they did get some OK results though, granted I knew nothing and it was the wrong time and place for me to start learning as I felt like I was wasting the models and other togs time, and some of the problem was not being able to focus properly, so not really a comparison, I need to be able to try them in day time really as it has put me off flash and being confident

Last edited:
I don't like going to supermarkets, and when I do go to them I try to get through the entrance lobby in top gear, so never take any interest in anyone taking piccies of kids there:)

But the ones I've noticed certainly haven't used continuous lighting, they've used flash. The flash heads have a continuous lamp called a modelling lamp, it's function is to give an indication of what the flash will do and doesn't create the exposure itself, I'm guessing that it's these continuous lamps that you've seen.

As for not getting results on an outdoor shoot in the dark with flash, well, there is a learning curve - but it's a curve well worth learning.

Thanks for explaining the contiguous lighting, Garry, as you say it must be those Ive seen, as Ive noticed they do have flash as well,

the kits do look good and seem to be like the ones they use, and a great price, see told you Im a complete numpty and need a steep learning curve, thanks again for your help (y)

Last edited:
Dave
If you are starting out i'd suggest getting 3 lights and a decent sized softbox and/or umberella along with a background system - I use the Lastolite Hilite and for what I do it works very well.

I use Elinchrom lights and like them as they are consistent, allow me to change the power in 1/10th stops right from the camera position which is very handy at times and are pretty well built.

Lencarta and Bowens are a couple of other very popular systems so take your pick (any of those will do a good job).

You may want to start cheap but soon you will want more as you become more experienced.

I'm buying background lighting modifiers and gels at the moment to experiment a little more :)

Good luck with the decision.

Hi Garry N Jim

Thanks Ill have a look at them the links dont work but have found the ones you mean, (y)

why go flash then because you see photographers in supermarkets using contiguous lighting,( I know thats a bad example) Ive tried 2 head safari flash once with Darren (cowaski) in a remote location, and got awful results, due tpo user error, well it was a pitch black night shoot,, I took 4 or 5 shots and give up just used my onboard and OCF, rather than waste the time, and let everyone else try use them, they did get some OK results though, granted I knew nothing and it was the wrong time and place for me to start learning as I felt like I was wasting the models and other togs time, and some of the problem was not being able to focus properly, so not really a comparison, I need to be able to try them in day time really as it has put me off flash and being confident

Dave yes it's hard to a start with. A light meter can assist you greatly - you tell the meter the ISO you want, and you set your shutter speed on the camera to somewhere at or below the max sync speed and fire the flash, the light meter tells you the aperture (aperture controls the flash exposure) - you set that and away you go.

Lots more to it once you start but start simple and you can add as you go along.

why go flash then because you see photographers in supermarkets using contiguous lighting

Um, no offence to any supermarket photographers, but that's hardly the gold standard of portraiture.....

But the ones I've noticed certainly haven't used continuous lighting, they've used flash.

Not looked closely for a while but it wouldn't surprise me if some are using continuous lighting. Those new cool fluoros are getting popular with baby shooters. But you're gonna need high ISO if you want to print over 7X5 :D

the kits do look good and seem to be like the ones they use, and a great price, see told you Im a complete numpty and need a steep learning curve, thanks again for your help (y)

You need a popular lighting manufacturer to run some kind of training course.... :D

Sounds like your main problem was focusing. That's an issue with the Safari in the dark because (like most location packs) its modelling light ain't great. I've used a torch in the past to give enough light to focus then turned it off for the shot. It works best if somebody else can do this for you but this shot I was on my own - torch in one hand, camera in the other. Took a couple of goes at 2.8....

http://peoplebyryan.com/photoblog/tribal

Um, no offence to any supermarket photographers, but that's hardly the gold standard of portraiture.....

Not looked closely for a while but it wouldn't surprise me if some are using continuous lighting. Those new cool fluoros are getting popular with baby shooters. But you're gonna need high ISO if you want to print over 7X5 :D

You need a popular lighting manufacturer to run some kind of training course.... :D
Sounds like your main problem was focusing. That's an issue with the Safari in the dark because (like most location packs) its modelling light ain't great. I've used a torch in the past to give enough light to focus then turned it off for the shot. It works best if somebody else can do this for you but this shot I was on my own - torch in one hand, camera in the other. Took a couple of goes at 2.8....

http://peoplebyryan.com/photoblog/tribal
Yeah, I suppose I should have mentioned that both Jonathan and I run lighting workshops for Lencarta, heavily subsidised by the Company. I suppose which one is best for you depends on whether you live nearer to Maidstone or Bradford, and whether you'd rather send Jonathan into a giggling fit or me into a strop if you bugger it up:LOL:

There are still some vacancies on Jonathan's March lighting workshop

I would love to get on one of your courses but they are just too far away!

Thanks Garry, Jonathan, Jim

Jonathan I only used supermarket photographers as an example as I havnt seen any other kits, I have been offered the use of Darrens studio and setup also a local pro photographer said I can use his studio as well, and Brian (TP member) from Preston who runs courses has put me on the list for a free try out in his studio, so plenty of help just need to get the ball rolliing now, but thought Id get my own setup as well, decided to go with the lencarta 3 head smart flash system as a starting point.

Thanks again all for your help and advice everyone :clap:

Last edited:
Forgot to say Jonathan we were using torches for focusing on the night shoot (y)

Im not new to contiguous lighting really I used it a lot in studios when I was studying fine art and painting (many years ago), so just need to know the best starter kit, then its a case of just getting to know flash systems and how to control them and combining them with the camera, rather than a model, brush/canvas and oil paints

Last edited:
thank you for all your comments im going to focus on monday at the nec so will have a look ther to to get a few more answers thanks all

im going to focus on monday at the nec so will have a look there
Sorry mu posts took over your thread a bit, but I suppose a lot of your questions were answered, Hey Im going to focus Monday fancy a meet up (y) we can check them out together although my minds made up now, gonna go see Garry my friend Mervs had a chat with him ;), (y)

Flash Centre are selling the Elinchrom demo kits they are using fpr the weekend - You will get a good deal from 10am as it's getting heavily discounted - they say they don't want to take any home - so get there quick to see what you can nab :)

Back