studio lighting

Edit My Images
No
Hi,

Looking for a decent lighting set (probably 2 lights/maybe 3) with backdrop etc and any other bits.

Looking for a budget but decent set to start with and then will upgrade after christmas if used as much as planned. Im new to studio photography. But, after doing many events and other paid jobs im getting a fair bit of demand, Thought about doing it in the past but always put it off.

Looking for doing portrait photography (Mainly children) and will also use the lighting for some photobooth work I have been asked to do though out nov/dec.

As above, check out Lencarta. They have nice affordable kits that use S-type mount for accessories, which is quite common. Also take a look at Elinchrom, such as D-lites or BRXi. I use Elinchrom and really like it. There is also Bowens, but I don't know the brand so well (also uses S-type mount for accessories).

As for what you are looking for 2 lights should be enough, 3 will give you more flexibility in case you need an extra light. All depends on how complex you want your light setup to be. For start 2 lights will be more than enough.

Not 100% certain about this, but from memory, Elinchrom D Lights do not have fan cooling (you have to go for BXRI or RXs for that). This tends to make then unsuitable for high volume use as due to them cutting out when they overheat. It doesn't necessarily make them bad lights, it just means you couldn't rattle them away for a couple of hours, say at an event or something similar.

I'm happy enough to deffer to someone elses judgement if they know better however, as it is a long time since I used any elinchrom lights.

With hindsight, it might have been something to do with not being able to run the modelling lamps continuously, but I can't remember the specifics.

Lencarta or Elinchrom. Check out similar posts in the Lighting section.

BTW, all Elinchrom D-Lites have fans these days.

Back