Studio Ligthting Kits Advice!!

Take a look at 'How to choose which studio lights to buy' (and the other free guides) on this page

Once you understand which features are important it should be easier to make a decision

hi there

i have a studio with 4 elincrom fx400, but needed a smaller kit to do some event work i bought the same set from stable imaging and it is realy very good , not up to elencrom build quality but good for the price.

Have a look at the rest of his kit too. There are a few bargains.

Have a look at the current (October) Digital SLR mag. There is a test of kits £200 - £488 price. Elinchrom D-ite 2 (£488) came top of the pile, but the Interfit EX150 MkII at £250 came a close second place with Jessopd Portaflash kit at £270 in last place of the kits tested.

Just to throw my 2pc in...

Relatively recently I bought a set of Elinchrom d-Lite 4's for about that sort of money although there are plenty of alternatives for less.

I would say that although the D-Lites are very simple to use I'm not sure the build quality is all that great.. The lights themselves are fine but the softboxes that come with it are ridiculously fragile. Almost every time I set the box up I risk another small tear in the foil.

I suppose it depends on how much you are going to use the lights and whether it is for occasional hobby use or something more serious. I would also say that it might be worth looking at matching the power of the lights to the amount of room you have to work in.
I was origiannly advised to buy powerful lights they can always be turned down but that isnt always useful if you are not working in a large space.

The D-Lites are not that powerful but even on their lowest setting they seem to be able to flood a shot with light in the space I use which is about 15ft square...

Of course... like Manuel, I know Nothing....

Morrisphoto have the Interfit EX150 MkII kit available for £209.00 with free postage.

Back