Studio portrait/fashion lighting course - Photos Added 13nd May

Name
Levi
Edit My Images
Yes
I've just had the privilege of attending one of Garry Edwards studio courses sponsored by Lencarta.

I haven't been on any similar courses to compare but I certainly learn't lots and enjoyed it. I'm sure the others who attended concure too. The objective of the course was not to come away with fantastic pictures but to teach the creativity of lighting. Hence the photos display the work we all put into making the lighting and then the comparison shots how adding or removing lighting creates the different effects.

The model was Jade Hespin and she displayed true professionalism throughout. A great model to work with and the personality to match.

I will keep adding photos when I get them uploaded.

#1 Here is the studio in Bradford
_MG_7985.jpg

#2 A photo using a beauty dish
_MG_7967.jpg

#3 I think this was using a softbox
_MG_7976.jpg

#4 This was show seperation in the models dark dress and black background whilst retaining detail
_MG_8003.jpg

#5 beauty dish again...
_MG_7974.jpg

#6 Another example of subject seperation from the background
_MG_7998.jpg

Very nice light and great shot. Only one issue is the distraction under her arm. Makes me want to buy a beauty dish now!!

What size was the dish?

#2 is nice. Good separation of hair and background, despite her having dark hair on black background. What is that between the left-side elbow and her midriff. Is it a flare?

I guess its a piece of studio equipment lying round... as said the photos were to demonstrate different lighting equipment and not an 'end result' of perfection.

Very nice light and great shot. Only one issue is the distraction under her arm. Makes me want to buy a beauty dish now!!

What size was the dish?

Garry might be able to help with that one :shrug:

Think you can see the beauty dish in the first shot at the left hand side - looks to be around 20"-ish...

What size was the dish?
70cm

Yes I thought so :) I'm thinking of getting one (although Elinchrom)

They have come out brilliantly!! - i have downloaded the photos i took of Jade on the course - learnt loads - just need to run them through photoshop and crop them etc

They have come out brilliantly!! - i have downloaded the photos i took of Jade on the course - learnt loads - just need to run them through photoshop and crop them etc

Thanks Melanie... The photos shown have literally been converted from raw to jpg and resized. Obviously had to change white balance although the default settings weren't all that bad. I'd like to see some if you care to post them. I didn't get shots of all the different variations as time wouldn't permit.

Garry...

Dont suppose anyone is doing these Lencarta Courses anywhere in Scotland...Im sure they would get a full house if so...a great learning curve and a chance to try out the Lencarta stuff...hopefully my next big purchase...

STEVIER

Garry...

Dont suppose anyone is doing these Lencarta Courses anywhere in Scotland...Im sure they would get a full house if so...a great learning curve and a chance to try out the Lencarta stuff...hopefully my next big purchase...

STEVIER
Sorry, no.

But people do travel to get here - someone from Norwich yesterday, also someone came from Motherwell, almost as far away as you, and someone is coming from Devon in August.
From memory, the longest journey to my studio for a course was a couple of years ago, when someone came from South Africa.

Sorry, no.

But people do travel to get here - someone from Norwich yesterday, also someone came from Motherwell, almost as far away as you, and someone is coming from Devon in August.
From memory, the longest journey to my studio for a course was a couple of years ago, when someone came from South Africa.

Travelled from Motherwell £70 in petrol, £62 for hotel, £30 for course - well worth it. I had a very enjoyable day and improved my knowledge of lighting techniques. The cost could be reduced by car sharing and room sharing.:)

I've just had the privilege of attending one of Garry Edwards studio courses sponsored by Lencarta.

I haven't been on any similar courses to compare but I certainly learn't lots and enjoyed it. I'm sure the others who attended conure too. The objective of the course was not to come away with fantastic pictures but to teach the creativity of lighting. Hence the photos display the work we all put into making the lighting and then the comparison shots how adding or removing lighting creates the different effects.

The model was Jade Hespin and she displayed true professionalism throughout. A great model to work with and the personality to match.

I will keep adding photos when I get them uploaded.

#1 Here is the studio in Bradford
_MG_7985.jpg

#2 A photo using a beauty dish
_MG_7967.jpg

#3 I think this was using a softbox
_MG_7976.jpg

#4 This was show seperation in the models dark dress and black background whilst retaining detail
_MG_8003.jpg

#5 beauty dish again...
_MG_7974.jpg

#6 Another example of subject seperation from the background
_MG_7998.jpg

The first part of the course had a good looking, tall, dark, (going grey) hadsome, male model from Motherwell, Scotland - I have not seen any pictures of him posted!!!!:LOL::LOL::LOL:

And there was I thinking that the very first shots were of a handsome mature gentleman with grey hair (going white) :)

Just to make sense of the black on black shot...
The main difference between the artistic nude workshops and the fashion workshops is that one is about lighting skin and the other is about lighting fabrics. I adopt a fairly laid back approach, I just ask the model to bring a few different clothes and to change into whatever she likes, the job then is to identify the particular problem caused by the clothing and to overcome it by lighting. Jade changed into this black dress and as we already had a black background up this seemed an ideal challenge...

Easily overcome by rim lighting, skimming across the fabric and revealing the texture (did OK on her flesh and hair too) plus backlighting, to separate her from the background.

The first part of the course had a good looking, tall, dark, (going grey) hadsome, male model from Motherwell, Scotland - I have not seen any pictures of him posted!!!!:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Sorry mate they didn't come out properly. It was the first few photos of the day and I don't know what I did wrong. Maybe I was pointing the camera in the wrong direction but didn't get anything like handsome :razz:

Joking aside I can post them if you want :D

This is great fun... I'm starting to put faces to them usernames :)

Travelled from Motherwell £70 in petrol, £62 for hotel, £30 for course - well worth it. I had a very enjoyable day and improved my knowledge of lighting techniques. The cost could be reduced by car sharing and room sharing.:)

Jake if I'd known I'd have shared the petrol with you :)

Here is one of my shots from yesterday showing B/G seperation & its quite nice too.
It was a relly good day, nice people a lovelly girl for a model , and a great tutor.
Thoroughly enjoyed it and got a great deal out of it,

Here's the same shot with a little colour adjusted in Selective color, as I mentioned yesterday - my favourite quick fix for whites and blacks
DSC3439_edited-2jade.jpg

- useful in situations like this where the subject has moved slightly out of the lighting position

#7 Playing with Gels...
_MG_8030.jpg

#8 More of the same with different pose
_MG_8011.jpg

#9 Demonstration of the ring flash
_MG_8045.jpg

I haven't been on Garry's Lencarta course, but last year I did go on a two-day course run by someone else. Just want to say that it's well worth going on such a course. I learnt far more than I thought I would, and it was also good fun. These type of courses not only tell you how to use lights, but also give a good insight into how light works generally.

I don't want to hijack the thread but...

Someone left a jacket behind, if they could get in touch...

I don't want to hijack the thread but...

Someone left a jacket behind, if they could get in touch...

You had me panicking there... :runaway:

I gave my jacket to Jade when she was wearing the black dress so she could go outside for a smoke. For a minute I thought I'd forgotten it but when I've checked its NOT mine. :shrug:

I have a photo of our first model of the day! The good looking, tall, dark, (going grey) hadsome, male model from Motherwell, Scotland!! Is there a way of putting photos on here straight from your harddrive as its asking me for a url when i click on add image?
thanks

I have a photo of our first model of the day! The good looking, tall, dark, (going grey) hadsome, male model from Motherwell, Scotland!! Is there a way of putting photos on here straight from your harddrive as its asking me for a url when i click on add image?
thanks

If you look in the tutorial section there are tutorials about adding photos.

thanks

I can add them to this thread if you want me to.. just email them

ive put them on flikr but cant seem to figure out how to post them on here - it just comes up with small square box with red cross in it (had a look at the tutorial to find out how to do it but still no joy.) is it ok if i email them to you? let me know what address you want it sending to - either post it on here or pm me. thanks

Hi Melanie,

I have sent you a PM with regards to the photographs of Jade and myself, it also includes my email address. I would be grateful if you could send me the photographs.

Regards

Ian

Here are the photos Melanie posted above...

Heres the photos incl one of the male model!

4586990157_9b18706240.jpg

.... and Jade

4587616288_d2dc28d8e3.jpg

4587617772_21b6bd5793.jpg

4586994251_b0ecee8df9.jpg

Back