Studio Rail Systems

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone use a ceiling mounted rail system in their studio? Ive seen a few online and they look the mutts!!

A couple of questions...

What type of lights do you use, i.e. do you control them from the back of the monoblock or from a seperate controller?

Did you design the layout yourself and how much did it cost you?

Cheers
Matt

People tend to either swear by them or swear at them.
They have the advantage that they keep wires and stands off the floor, and I suppose that they look professional, so might impress some clients.

They have disadvantage though, apart from cost...
1. You need a pretty high ceiling. Personally I would say 14' minimum.
2. You basically buy the bits you need so they are customisable, but far from cheap
3. They don't usually allow heads to be placed exactly where you want them to be.
4. The heads float around a bit, fine for softboxes and things but a bit vague for things like tight honeycombs, snoots, other precise lighting tools.
5. And yes, you need remote control

Most of the sudios I rent use the Bowens HIglide system with Bowens lights. If you get the Bowens DX lights you can control them with a remote so you don't have to move them to change settings.

I find them much better than using a boom arm for things like Beauty dishes which need to be close to your subject, or lighting the background when you are trying to do a full body or group shot and need the stand to be out of the picture.

The HIglide system would not be cheaper, and the DX lights are a bit more expensive than the regular Bowens Monoblocks.

I can Imagine the pro's and con's but I think in a family portrait studio when you have kids running around the lack of cables lying around is a massive bonus.

As vain as it sounds the looking good part is also a factor!

Can always have a few stands and lights available for precision stuff.

What about weight? Would the be ok on a ceiling made of wooden struts?

I normally use stands and lights as you have more flexibility in positioning but my studio has metal struts running across it so I use Manfrotto clamps and arms on occasion which allow me to place a light pretty much anywhere without the cable or stand getting in the way. This is probably a better idea where you don't need to be moving them all the time and is certainly cheaper.

Although sometimes you want lights very low down/pointing upwards etc.

I think having lots of different options is probably best.

Having used studio's with only a track system and ones without, I would want both if I could, as I found - depending on the situation - each could have distinct advantages over the other...

Paul

Never liked it, too limiting for me, gimme a few avenger booms and I'm way happier. Now THAT's a stand!

Higlides annoy the living crap outta me. Especially if you use lightweight heads like D1 / elinchrom, then when you add a big softbox or beauty dish, it'll sink down because the tension's impossible to get right. They wobble about all over the place, occasionally move on their own accord, and you occasionally bash your head on a light...ugh.

Gimme a rack of c-stands instead please. All the hanging down bits makes moving polyboards around a studio a bit of a maze too, and they're awkward enough as it is. It's got to the point now where I'll usually just disregard all the lights on the higlide and just put others on stands. Occasionally I'll use one on a highglide for an overhead light to save booming it.

However, I can see how having nothing at ground level would be of advantage to a family portrait photographer, especially where precision lighting often won't be needed.

Last edited:
However, I can see how having nothing at ground level would be of advantage to a family portrait photographer, especially where precision lighting often won't be needed.

Couldn't agree more. If your set up is fairly standard they're great, but if you need to use your studio for any possibility, then they do have their limitations.

Personally, if I could afford it, I'd have a hi glide system along with C stands, best of both worlds. :)

Regardless of all the pros and cons of a ceiling rail system, has anyone given the Walimex version a try (it's a rebranded Jinbei)?

We're kiting out a multifunctional room (ceilings are 3.2m) for video podcast recording.

Back