Studio Risk Assessment

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Wasn't sure which section this would be best in so popped it in here. Mods please move if it's wrong :)

I have to provide an example Studio Risk Assessment as part of a course I am doing complete with research examples. Non of us have been able to find one for studio photography, though there seems to be one for every other occupation on the planet. Is this a trick by our tutors or do people not bother ?

Does anyone know of a good link please or would be able to share an example which they don't mind me using as an example.

Thanks for your help (y)

At my place of work (not a studio though .) We have various risk assessments for various tasks . So you my need more than one depending what your shooting . The main risks in general though are slips and trips , failing objects , risk of electric shock , explosion . You may even have to take in to account photo sensitive people . At work our risk assessment has a list of risks with a rating of high , medium and low . Once the assessment is graded a best practice and ways of work sheet is then produced .

Use common sense, read the pdf Dougie has linked to and adapt it to suit what you see as the needs of a studio. I suspect your tutor is looking for you to exercise the grey matter to work out what the potential problems might be in a studio environment.

I suspect your tutor is looking for you to exercise the grey matter to work out what the potential problems might be in a studio environment.

This. 100% this.

This is the single most important thing to consider regarding health and safety. Each situation must be considered on it's own. There can never be a 'one size fits all approach' to H&S

People generally tend to worry when the phrase 'risk assessment' is mentioned but it's fairly straight forward;

1. Think about what could go wrong
2. Consider what the consequences are if something does go wrong
3. Consider what you have already done to mitigate that risk
4. Consider what else you need to do to reduce the risk 'as far as reasonably practable' (hint, this phrase is really important in H&S)
5. Create an action plan with names of who is going to carry out the actions and when they are going have it done by

That's it.

The benefit of a risk Assessment is the thought process that goes into it, intelligently looking at potential hazards and what can be done about them - not just a worthless "check the boxes" piece of paper.

Having just sat through an IOSH Managing Safely H&S course last week - there are 6 steps to risk assessment ...

1. list your work tasks
2. Identify the risks
3. Estimate the risks
4. Evaluate the risks
5. Record
6. Review

Then for each identified risk, you need to consider how to treat them...

1. Eliminate (always the best approach)
2. Reduce the risk
3. Prevent contact with the risk
4. Wear PPE (personal protective equipment)
5. Training and Awareness

Hope this helps

Back