Studio roof advice please

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
Guys this is more a building dilemma but as it's for a studio conversion I thought I'd ask here.

My garage is ready for the conversion but my joiner who is my father in law is getting himself into a tiz about my roof.

Right now I have a standard 18ft x 10ft garage with a 7 foot ceiling height. As much as I would love to simply raise the whole thing I can't as it's within 1 metre of my boundary.

My options therfore seem to be either pitching the roof one way as I am allowed anything up to 8ft within a metre of the boundary which is currently 14 inches away so it would need to slope upward through 25 inches and finish wherever it finishes (I can go to 4 metres without permission but obviously won't get to this height following the slope) or having a pitched roof but given how narrow 10ft is I think I'd be losing too much height space.

Finally I was thinking I could have the roof come in flat for 25 inches at 8ft then up into a different shape almost like a flat roof that's stepped up.

I am just trying to maximise the height of the ceiling and feel like I'm missing something obvious. My father in law is great at what he does but as much as I hate to say it he's better off working from somebody else's plan.

Any you came across anything similar?

If you do the stepped thing how are you going to support the step? I guess you'd need a steel beam. How well do you get on with your neighbours? If they are not going to complain I'd go with the pitched roof but push it a bit steeper than is strictly allowed... :sneaky:

Alternatively, and this is may be a bit counter intuitive, if you start lower at the boundary side you can make the roof steeper and still hit 8' at 1m in but it will be higher at the far side. So, roughly, 7' at the boundary side and taking 25" as ~2' that gives a 1:2 roof pitch which would give 12' at the high side (you better check my maths though...)

Last edited:
If you do the stepped thing how are you going to support the step? I guess you'd need a steel beam. How well do you get on with your neighbours? If they are not going to complain I'd go with the pitched roof but push it a bit steeper than is strictly allowed... :sneaky:

Alternatively, and this is may be a bit counter intuitive, if you start lower at the boundary side you can make the roof steeper and still hit 8' at 1m in but it will be higher at the far side. So, roughly, 7' at the boundary side and taking 25" as ~2' that gives a 1:2 roof pitch which would give 12' at the high side (you better check my maths though...)
Thanks mate. I would leave the support beams to the joiner but yes might end up taking as much space that way too.

I like the idea of the one sided pitched roof as at least I would have one side to get a softbox up and over an adults head.

Thanks mate.

A dumb question I’m sure but no way to dig down and create the height from within? Probably stupid but if you don’t ask you never know

I'm afraid not as it's sitting on a huge slab of concrete which I assume has metal through it. It was here when I got here.

I'm assuming the height limits are due to 'permitted development' rules.

It would be worth double checking on them, as the impression I had was the if any part of the building was within 1m, then the maximum height for the building was 2.5m - rather than being any part of the building within 1m must be 2.5m or less.

I'm assuming the height limits are due to 'permitted development' rules.

It would be worth double checking on them, as the impression I had was the if any part of the building was within 1m, then the maximum height for the building was 2.5m - rather than being any part of the building within 1m must be 2.5m or less.
I will check with them today mate. Not started yet but I am hoping I have it right. My neighbours garage is in the exact same part as mine and is way more that 8 feet as it has a pitched roof. Maybe he got permission though. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Mine's less than a metre from my boundary and it's 2.5 metres to the apex.

I could really have done with it being higher too so see if you can get it higher.

I will check with them today mate. Not started yet but I am hoping I have it right. My neighbours garage is in the exact same part as mine and is way more that 8 feet as it has a pitched roof. Maybe he got permission though. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Was the garage part of the original house build?
If so, then it woudl have been covered under planning permission.

The 2.5m limit is to build something without going through the planning process - it you want to go higher you can, but have to go through the time (and cost) of planning permission. It all depends on how 'reasonable' your project is, and what your neighbours are like!

It's a free standing one at the back of the garden. I've been waiting now for someone to get back to me about this but as is often the case there's no hurry from their end. I'll let you know how it goes.

It's a free standing one at the back of the garden. I've been waiting now for someone to get back to me about this but as is often the case there's no hurry from their end. I'll let you know how it goes.

Have you thought about a hinged roof? Some way to increase the height temporarily for a part of the roof that can then be lowered after use.

Have you thought about a hinged roof? Some way to increase the height temporarily for a part of the roof that can then be lowered after use.
No mate I hadn't thought of that at all. I'll look into it. Thanks.

Back