Beginner Study photography

Name
Diogo
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello guys,

Recently I have been thinking in investing more in my photography. I was thinking and searching the market for courses and degrees.

I work full time as a nurse so I have random shifts so classes are very difficult to go to.

I was looking for something online maybe.

Any recommendation?

I am living in Southampton by the way
Cheers guys.

I really don't know where do you live But in California Santa Monica College has a weekend course

Southampton is on the south coast of the UK! You'll find a huge number of UK-based users on this forum. If local information is important to you, you could try http://photography-on-the.net/forum/

Sorry OP, sounds like a challenge, but you could probably start with joining a camera club, then getting some books. Paying for qualifications gets you a taught course by a human (hopefully), but qualifications doesn't necessarily equal results.

Last edited:
Hello guys,

Recently I have been thinking in investing more in my photography. I was thinking and searching the market for courses and degrees.

I work full time as a nurse so I have random shifts so classes are very difficult to go to.

I was looking for something online maybe.

Any recommendation?

I am living in Southampton by the way
Cheers guys.

What do you want to shoot?
Is the aim to shoot professionally?
What do you think you will learn online that you don't already know or taking more pictures won't improve?

If you specifically want degree type study while also holding down a full time (albeit shift work) job, then worth looking at Open University which gives you flexibility - though no idea what their arts/photography courses are like. There is also the Open College of Arts but I have no idea what they are like.

Last edited:
Open college of the arts are good, depending on tutor, but since the university fees have risen, so have their courses, from £550 a module to over £1600, possible more now.

I've had to pull off the course now due to cost and a new job means I haven't the time to put enough into it for the results I wanted. They say 12 hours a week, but you really need around 20 to complete each course in the 2 year period allowed.
Bear in mind for a distance learning degree course you have 12 years to complete 8 modules, so you can't take 2 years for each.
It was good though. I learnt lots about history, contempory art, how to read images etc.

However, uni's are not about the learning anymore, it's just a business interested in maximising the money I'm afraid.

I'm self-taught through a mixture of camera club membership, internet scouring, and self-challenging.

Due to your uneven shift patterns I'd recommend finding a local camera club where you can be there when you can, as a good way to get to know other local photographers and gain an appreciation for different styles of photography, and what you like and dislike.

At the same time you can have a good play on Youtube and you'll find tons and tons of tutorials on pretty much everything.

Lastly, I have found it really useful to set myself some challenges. These could be as simple as shooting something in your house, to doing something like shooting a local area and trying to convey what you feel about it.

I'd save your money for going to amazing places to take great pictures.

Back