Stupar's Sky Lake PC build

S

stupar

It's been a while since I last built PC (2012 Q6600 build) so it is time to bring things up to date with a Kaby Lake build.

First few parts arrived - Phanteks P400 case, Intel G4560 CPU and this piece of artwork arrived today - Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7. I've never owned a so called premium motherboard so this is a nice addition to the build and also gives me headroom for CPU upgrade possibilities.

Motherboard by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

You are probably wonder why I am opting for a Sky Lake board with a Kaby Lake CPU. The reason is there isn't much change between a Z170 and Z270 boards bar extra PCI lanes so it seemed more apt to buy Sky Lake board and flash the Bios for Kaby Lake CPU's.

My last build was all about speed in an enclosed case. This time round its all about aesthetics and showing off the internal workings through the window of the Phanteks case so there will be cable management galore going on with custom braided cabling to tie in the theme.

More updates soon!

Did a little test fit tonight of the motherboard in the case.
Snug as a bug as they say and considering this is a budget case its got plenty of space inside and the cable management routes line up nicely with the key connectors on the board.

Dead space at front will house either a 240/280 or 360mm AIO cooler for the CPU. Quite look the look of the NZXT Krakens :D

Motherboard mock up by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

You've probably already got this covered, but worth bearing in mind that you might need to update the BIOS to get it to work with the Kaby Lake CPU.

Look forward to seeing the build completed.

You've probably already got this covered, but worth bearing in mind that you might need to update the BIOS to get it to work with the Kaby Lake CPU.

Look forward to seeing the build completed.

Yeah its already on the latest bios beforeci purchased it so im covered.
Worst case scenario would have been to buy a cheap sky lake pentium to update it.

seen random CPU throttling issues on kaby/skylake hardware mixes. something to look out for.

HP have got into quite a lot of bother over it for example.
Will watch out for that (y)
The plus point i guess is i could easily go out an buy a 2nd hand i3 6100 if the G4560 doesnt play ball

I have just built a Kaby Lake system. I used the following key components... I7 7700k... EVGA GTX1080 Classified... 32gb DDR4 3200mhz... MSi Z270 X-Power Gaming Titanium board. Using the Corsair H115i CPU cooler.

I have just built a Kaby Lake system. I used the following key components... I7 7700k... EVGA GTX1080 Classified... 32gb DDR4 3200mhz... MSi Z270 X-Power Gaming Titanium board. Using the Corsair H115i CPU cooler.
Have you attempted to overclock your 7700k yet?

I'm running a 7700k. I haven't really overclocked it. I have set all four cores to x45 and temps are ok but at this stage I wouldn't want to go any higher. I demand absolute silence and am using a bequiet dark rock pro 3 on silent settings which works great at being quiet but doesn't cool enough (in silent mode) to make me want to increase the multiplier.

I am toying with the idea of a delid but will wait for coffeelake now as if it works on z270 boards I will upgrade to a 6 core coffeelake cpu as it will be easier to sell the 7700k intact.

Have you attempted to overclock your 7700k yet?

Yes I am running it at 4.8ghz without any issues. My motherboard has a simple to use over clock function, simply turn a dial on the board and press a button and the over clock is done. I believe it can go up to 5.1ghz if needed.

Of course I have adequate cooling from the Corsair H115i CPU cooler.

Yes I am running it at 4.8ghz without any issues. My motherboard has a simple to use over clock function, simply turn a dial on the board and press a button and the over clock is done. I believe it can go up to 5.1ghz if needed.

Of course I have adequate cooling from the Corsair H115i CPU cooler.
Nice. No issues I assume? Have read a fair bit around issues with the 7700k temp spiking when putting any sort of voltage through it, which is odd to say the least.

Anyway, apologies OP, I've derailed your thread! Keep us updated with your progress! :)

Nice. No issues I assume? Have read a fair bit around issues with the 7700k temp spiking when putting any sort of voltage through it, which is odd to say the least.

Anyway, apologies OP, I've derailed your thread! Keep us updated with your progress! :)
Not need to apologise. All relevant to the context of the thread (y)

Thread title changed as my G4560 has mysteriously disappeared and has been replaced with an i3 6100.
This wasnt my intention but i got the i3 for a smidge more than i sold the G4560.
Plus if i want to have a punt at overclocking it then a BCLK is simple enough on these boards and should be good for 4.4/4.5Ghz.

All fun and games!

Thread title changed as my G4560 has mysteriously disappeared and has been replaced with an i3 6100.
This wasnt my intention but i got the i3 for a smidge more than i sold the G4560.
Plus if i want to have a punt at overclocking it then a BCLK is simple enough on these boards and should be good for 4.4/4.5Ghz.

All fun and games!

Just built a new Win10 PC using that very CPU.

Very quiet with the stock cooler too!

Ive heard its good. Wouldnt pay full wack for it but the 2nd hand price was a steal.
I will be hooking mine up to either a Corsair Hydro or NZXT Kraken 240mm Radiator to keep things cool.

All fun and games!
Good luck!

What GPU are you dropping in it, by the way? Or are you using the onboard graphics?

What GPU are you dropping in it, by the way? Or are you using the onboard graphics?
As the only game that will be played on it will be the wifes Sims 4 it doesnt need a potent GPU.
I was planning on dropping in a GTX 580 or 660.
To be honest i have my heart set on an Asus GTX 580 Direct CUII. Its a decent card even though old, it has a cover on the back which fits in with the keeping the inside of the case looking neat and tidy.
The only downside is its a power hungry card and has two 8 pin sockets to power it. Not that thats an issue as PSU is going to be an EVGA 650W GQ so will give plenty room for such a GPU.

As the only game that will be played on it will be the wifes Sims 4 it doesnt need a potent GPU.
I was planning on dropping in a GTX 580 or 660.
To be honest i have my heart set on an Asus GTX 580 Direct CUII. Its a decent card even though old, it has a cover on the back which fits in with the keeping the inside of the case looking neat and tidy.
The only downside is its a power hungry card and has two 8 pin sockets to power it. Not that thats an issue as PSU is going to be an EVGA 650W GQ so will give plenty room for such a GPU.

unless you have gtx580/gtx660 already you can use them for sure... otherwise just get nice cheap gtx1050 (less electricity bills to pay) which will be fine for sims 4 :D

Just a micro update as my time and money is being sucked up elsewhere.

Got my 3 Corsair 120mm fans installed in exhaust mode. Next up will be deciding on what 240mm AIO cooler to get.

Fans fans fans by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

I've got a Thermaltake AIO in mine and I've got no complaints - keeps my 6700k nice and cool, although the NZXT Kraken you mentioned earlier does look good. I'm a sucker for flashy lights so if I was to buy one again, it'd probably be one of those.

Another wee update.
Decided on a colour change from red to white so changed the Corsair fan rings and bought some Shakmods white braided mobo, CPU & front panel cables.
One I know what GPU is going in I will then do the same white braided 6/8 pin pcie cables.
P1040020 by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr
Looking good! Where did you order your braided cables from? Was it Amazon? I keep meaning to pick some red/black ones up for mine.

Looking good! Where did you order your braided cables from? Was it Amazon? I keep meaning to pick some red/black ones up for mine.
Shakmods sell them through Amazon and i had a 30 quid amazon voucher so it made sense.
Their not cheap cables but they do look good if you are into custom builds and epic cable management.

Don't know if you're aware but a new bug in the microcode has surfaced which hits all OS's running on these CPU's.

"The Debian advisory says affected users need to disable hyper-threading “immediately” in their BIOS or UEFI settings, because the processors can “dangerously misbehave when hyper-threading is enabled.”

Symptoms can include “application and system misbehaviour, data corruption, and data loss”.

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh, who authored the advisory, notes that all operating systems, not only Linux, are subject to the bug."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/06/25/intel_skylake_kaby_lake_hyperthreading/

Don't know if you're aware but a new bug in the microcode has surfaced which hits all OS's running on these CPU's.

"The Debian advisory says affected users need to disable hyper-threading “immediately” in their BIOS or UEFI settings, because the processors can “dangerously misbehave when hyper-threading is enabled.”

Symptoms can include “application and system misbehaviour, data corruption, and data loss”.

Henrique de Moraes Holschuh, who authored the advisory, notes that all operating systems, not only Linux, are subject to the bug."

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/06/25/intel_skylake_kaby_lake_hyperthreading/

Have read the rumblings about it over the past few days.
There is a microcode fix available of Skylake CPUs so its now a case of waiting on Gigabyte to release a new BIOS for the motherboard which may be done by the time i am up and running.

Small update to the build with the addition of a GTX680 GPU (thanks @niko ) and a nice pair of white braided 6 pin pci-e cables.
At the end of the month I should be in a position to get the remaining parts to complete the build (AIO cooler, RAM, SSD x 2 and PSU)

Geforce GTX680 by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

I'm a PC builder too.

6d-3_zpsjijk67gs.jpg

Well its been a while but the end is near now with all parts order to complete the build. Those that arrived today have been installed, namely my Sandisk Ultra SSD drive for the OS and my CPU cooler which is a Deepcool captain 240 EX.
All going well my PSU, 16GB ram and additional SSD should arrive. Cable management is a fiddly process but it is worth it for the clean looks.

Almost finished by Stuart Pardue, on Flickr

Did you not fancy taking advantage of the M.2 slot for your OS SSD?
For what i do i wont really see the benefit of the extra speed plus some of them are nae bonnie to look at.
At least my SSDs are naturally hidden behind the motherboard.

Back