stupid question again

Name
Ujjwal
Edit My Images
No
Here's my plan...

When i develop my next B/W film at home, I'll scan it and then get it printed in a lab. Will make things somewhat cheaper for me. So I am confused on a few things

1. What size of scan will be OK for 4X6 print?
2. If I make any adjustments on the computer, will it come out the same when I print ( or is there a matter of adjusting the computer screen etc?)
3. If I crop the frame, will the size reduce or will it still be 4X6, or will the printer adjust.

Any other thing I should be aware of? I will use the free software - 'Photoscape'

Thanks

Ujjwal

1) Any really, doesn't have to be very high res to print at 6x4
2) Aslong as your monitor is half decent, there wont be too much difference in print. B+W or colour?
3) Aslong as you keep the same aspect ratio (3:2) it would be fine.

...or you could use C41 b/w film and get it developed and scanned to a CD by Tesco for under £2 (well that's what they charge for colour).

I could indeed; but I really want to use B/W film and then get prints...

Well I'm not up on digital, but once you get jpg files on a CD can't you use those machines, or the net, to get prints.

For decent quality printing, you need to allow 300 dots per inch. So for 6x4 prints you need a minimum of 1800x1200 pixels as your eventual file.

I normally scan my 35mm negs at 4800dpi and do any manipulation at that resolution, which gives a file of around 6800x4600px. - good for an enlargement of around 22"x15".

I prefer to work on the principle of "you can always throw details away and make it smaller, but if it's not there in the first place, you can't put it there". Every time you downsize the image, you'll need to do a little sharpening as well.

Once they're scanned in, you can send the image files to the online printing companies, or copy them to a SD card and take them into the supermarket and get a print run off...

I've had some nice B&W shots printed by Ilford Photo using this method - I prefer it to sending them the film and letting them process the film, and sending me prints of all of 'em - mainly as I'd rather have 6-7 10"x8" good shots, than 6-7 good shots and 30 ropey ones at 6"x4".

I'm not too sure personally. What scanner is it?

The scanner is a hands-me-down Epson 2400 Photo. I downloaded the driver s/w from the net, and its doesn't seem to work in all the settings. There are 3 settings - the fully automatic setting works fine. But not sure what size the scan is. If I see the size of the scanned file, I should be able to say, can't I? Are there generic s/w which can be used on any scanner hardware; or does one have to use the original s/w that came with the hardware.

had a quick look, and one that supposedly supports the epson 2400 is Vuescan. You can download a demo version for free, and see if it works here...

Another one is Silverfast - it's not he most friendly of programs (i use it myself, and i've just about got the hang of it after 6 months!), which again seems to support your scanner.

Back