Stupid Question; Are old 35mm lenses compatible with digital tech'

Name
Derek
Edit My Images
No
Hi, after a long absence from my old hobby, I need to buy some new or s/hand digital slr equipment. Can anyone tell me if my old tamron and canon lenses (canon A1 body) are any good for new digital technology cameras. Also any advice on what to buy re' digital slr for general photo shoots, price range £200-
£350. Thank you for any replies, Derek

Canon EOS EF fit from mid 1980's will mostly work. For cameras before that you'll need an adaptor to convert FD mount to EOS mount and work in manual modes. A1 will be FD mount.

With old EOS EF lenses its best to stick with Canon lenses rather than 3rd party lenses.

hi welcome to TP

Canon EF and EFs lens will fit on canon EOS cameras (digital or film), and if the tamron is the same fit that wil fit too. Not sure about older lenses.

If you after a canon in that kind of proce range you would probely be looking at a 350d /400d/ 450d or possibly a 20 or 30d second hand. I think this would be better for you than a 1000d and tbh not sure what the price of those are new.

The Canon A-1 is an FD mount camera. The lenses from it will only attach to a new Canon camera with an adaptor.

If you're going for a bargain Canon body, you may not enjoy focussing FD lenses. The viewfinder is nothing compared to the A-1.

To be honest, I don't think your lenses tie you into a specific brand. Look at Canon alongside Nikon, Sony, Olympus, Pentax, Panasonic, etc.

Hi, thank's to all for fast and very informed info'. Will read replies a second time and thank's again. May post later as I continue to progress. cheer's

My understanding is that to use FD lenses on Digital you have 2 choices. If you need infinity focus then the adaptor has glass in it, which will reduce image quality, but if you can do without infinity focus you can get an adaptor without the glass and maintain IQ.
There are a number of older lenses that perform very well on EOS bodies. I use Olympus 24mm and a number of their macro lenses and have 2 Contax lenses (28mm and 35-70mm) which are excellent, if you are happy shooting manually and stopping down. :)

Back