Beginner Stupid Question

Name
Antony
Edit My Images
Yes
Okay its time for my stupid question of the day :p

I've got one of the lens in the picture. The ring with the word Macro on it doesn't move is it meant to?

There's a red and silver tab button thing the other side of the lens with an arrow on as well but that doesn't seem to do anything either.

The lens seems top work fine I was just curious if it could do better macro.

As it seems odd that the producers would pay to have the arrows on there if they weren't meant to signify something.

LENS.png

okay after 30 minutes minutes of absently messing around with the silver switch thing I've managed to get the macro ring to move when it does the fron lens moves out and under the macro ring a new series of numbers appear which go 1:10 1::7 1:5 1:4 1:3 now I just need to work out what those numbers mean.

Last edited:
What make and model is the lens ?

In regard to the ratios that you say are on the lens.

AFAIK
A truly macro lens will be 1:1 in other words at the minimum focusing distance the subject will be lifesize in the frame ~ in simple terms something 1inch long will be 1inch long (as recorded) on the sensor.

Therefore with those ratios the second figure,as applied above, means the subject will be 1/10th , 1/7th .....to 1/3rd lifesize in the frame.

In other words a fraction of a true macro recording of "macro".

As in all my understandings I stand to be corrected :)

Last edited:
Back