stupid raw questions

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
I've recently started playing with raw, mainly so I can bump saturation/correct white balance etc and there are a couple of things I don't understand:

1) If I shoot jpeg in large/fine mode (using a 450d) the files are typically somewhere 3.5-4mb. If I shoot RAW and convert to jpeg using lightroom or CS4 the resulting jpeg is only around 900kb - why ?

2) If I shoot jpeg the camera records more exif data - the lens info for example, in RAW I'm loosing this somewhere as the resulting jpeg doesn't have this info (just the basic stuff - aperture/shutter/iso etc). I assume the information is in the RAW file but lightroom isn't exporting it to the jpeg ? any way to make it do this ?

3) When processing RAW files are there a few basic "rules" that its generally good to follow ? Or is it just do what you like ?

Thanks!

Hi
1) If I shoot jpeg in large/fine mode (using a 450d) the files are typically somewhere 3.5-4mb. If I shoot RAW and convert to jpeg using lightroom or CS4 the resulting jpeg is only around 900kb - why ?

When you "save as" jpg there is the option of the jpg quality. The higher the quality the larger the file. There is a sliding scale 0 - 12 in the save as box. In mine a 10.1mg raw can be saved as 260k to 4.6mb jpg depending on the position I set the slider
John

WRT exif, in the LR export panel there's an option to "minimize embedded data" or similar, make sure that's not ticked to get all the exif in the jpeg.

Back