Sturdy tall tripod

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
No
Alright I realise that the question of tripods has been asked a fair bit but I need a different insight into the issue.

I am 6'3" and when I use my tripod I always have to put the centre column up. I don't like using centre columns as they are not as stable as the main tripod.
I own the Manfrotto 055XPROB which is 142cm with the column down.
I am looking for a tripod that is taller than the 55 and without using the centre column if possible.
The annoying thing is that most tripods go up to about 150cm and I need a bit more height than that. 160-170 is the sort of height I am looking for. More would be nice occasionally but not really necessary.
I don't really mind the weight of an aluminium tripod so carbon fibre is just a luxury. A really nice luxury but a luxury none the less

Any ideas on a tripod that would fit my needs.:shrug:

Check out SLIK PRO 700DX. Good tall and sturdy without breaking the bank.

Goes up to 6 ft 5 Inches and takes a 7KG load

You can buy legs only or with the 3 way head. I ended up replacing the head (there's nothing wrong with it) but the legs are very sturdy (I prefer them to my Manfrotto 055) and are great if you're tall.

Currently available (legs and 3 way head) for RRP: £209.00 Sale Price: £119.00 Inc VAT here....

http://www.microglobe.co.uk/slik-pro-700dx-tripod-complete-with-head-p-1416.html?

6131371000_37e28be20b_z.jpg

Specifications: Slik PRO 700DX Tripod Complete With Head
Maximum Height 76.80 in. (1,950mm)
Minimum Height - Slik pro 700 DX tripod 16.25 in. (413mm)
Folded Length 32.4 in. (823mm)
Centre Column Extension 16.25 in. (413mm)
Weight - Slik pro 700 DX tripod 6.95 lbs. (3,152g)
Number of Leg Sections 3
Leg Lock Type Speed Release Lock
Maximum Load 15.00 lbs. / 6,800 grams
Leg diameter - Slik pro 700 DX tripod 30.2mm

Last edited:
Check out SLIK PRO 700DX. Good tall and sturdy without breaking the bank.

Goes up to 6 ft 5 Inches and takes a 7KG load

You can buy legs only or with the 3 way head. I ended up replacing the head (there's nothing wrong with it) but the legs are very sturdy (I prefer them to my Manfrotto 055) and are great if you're tall.

Currently available (legs and 3 way head) for RRP: £209.00 Sale Price: £119.00 Inc VAT here....

http://www.microglobe.co.uk/slik-pro-700dx-tripod-complete-with-head-p-1416.html?

6131371000_37e28be20b_z.jpg

Specifications: Slik PRO 700DX Tripod Complete With Head
Maximum Height 76.80 in. (1,950mm)
Minimum Height - Slik pro 700 DX tripod 16.25 in. (413mm)
Folded Length 32.4 in. (823mm)
Centre Column Extension 16.25 in. (413mm)
Weight - Slik pro 700 DX tripod 6.95 lbs. (3,152g)
Number of Leg Sections 3
Leg Lock Type Speed Release Lock
Maximum Load 15.00 lbs. / 6,800 grams
Leg diameter - Slik pro 700 DX tripod 30.2mm

That looks as sturdy as a sturdy thang :LOL:

That looks as sturdy as a sturdy thang :LOL:

Wow yeah took the words out my mouth a bit there.
I suppose I hadn't really thought about Slik tripods. I know that they are out there but never really knew much about them.

Cheers Phil for the input.
EDIT: Your prices are a bit off for the link. It is £269 RRP and £179 sale price.

Martin

Last edited:
Gitzo gt5560. You wouldn't need to raise the centre column even if you were ten feet tall.

Wow yeah took the words out my mouth a bit there.
I suppose I hadn't really thought about Slik tripods. I know that they are out there but never really knew much about them.

Cheers Phil for the input.
EDIT: Your prices are a bit off for the link. It is £269 RRP and £179 sale price.

Martin

Yes - the price has changed sinced I copied that post from another thread. I'm sure you find it for a decent price though.

What is quite handy with that one - the centre column splits so 75% of the length can be removed leaving you with a short stubby section. This is fine as you don't really need to raise it and it means when the legs are splayed it can go fairly low.

It's no Gitzo obviously but it's not Gitzo money. The 3 way head that it comes with is pretty good however I replaced mine with a Gitzo 3 way / Manfrotto ball head.

Gitzo gt5560. You wouldn't need to raise the centre column even if you were ten feet tall.
Yeah I would love the GT5562GTS all 277cm of it! Swing like a monkey from the underside of it. Jungle gym all up in there.
I would practically do anything for one.

£115 on amazon. £122 with postage. For the Slik one that is.

Last edited:
Back