Beginner Subjects to take with Canon 50mm 1.4

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
I bought the above lens a few months back and I haven't really used it. What subjects could I use it on except for portraits as I'm not interested in taking photos of people.

What settings should I use when taking landscapes?

Children
Buildings
People
Cars
Fields
Birds

Seems a strange question. What do enjoy taking pictures of? Seems a bit strange asking me what you should shoot.

*EDIT, just re read your OP, take Children and people off the list. And I wouldn't have said the 50mm was a lens specifically for landscapes.

Last edited:
I bought the above lens a few months back and I haven't really used it. What subjects could I use it on except for portraits as I'm not interested in taking photos of people.

What did you buy it for?

It might look antagonistic, but it's a straight question.

When I want to do something I can't do because I haven't got the right bit of gear, I buy the gear. It seems odd to buy gear and then try to work out what to do with it.

Not to mention personal preference, for me a 50mm lens on a crop camera is a bit rubbish. Too long for landscapes, architecture etc. Too short for portraits. The only thing it has that a std zoom doesn't is the low light ability. Did you need a low light lens?

What did you buy it for?
Indeed we have to wonder.
.. for me a 50mm lens on a crop camera is a bit rubbish. Too long for landscapes ..
That's conventional thinking, Phil. I wouldn't rule it out. When I used to photograph the land a lot, the lens I used most was an 85mm on full frame - not too dissimilar to a 50mm on crop. Focal length choices can be personal, to tally with the nature of your attention ...

It's the sort of question you'd ask before buying a lens and then see if it fitted in with what you wanted to do. I also find it strange that you'd buy the 50mm 1.4 for £250 whereas the 1.8 can be bought for £80.

Slap the lens on the body, leave all your other kit behind.. walk out the front door, turn left and find subjects.

Simples.

Indeed we have to wonder.

That's conventional thinking, Phil. I wouldn't rule it out. When I used to photograph the land a lot, the lens I used most was an 85mm on full frame - not too dissimilar to a 50mm on crop. Focal length choices can be personal, to tally with the nature of your attention ...

Yup.

Personally I think that a 50mm lens is possibly the most useful lens you can get. On FF it's a great "standard" lens and that focal length was beloved by many a famous shooter, on APS-C it's 75/80mm depending on your "crop" and that's pretty close to 85mm which was/is seen as one of the classic focal lengths and on MFT it gives a FoV of 100mm and a 100mm f1.4 is a lovely thing to have. On FF and MFT 50mm is one of my most used lenses and was only shaded into second place on my APS-C.

I guess none of the suggestions have helped the OP as they've not been back.

I found 50mm on my 40d pretty useless for all but portaits but on my 5dmkii the situation changed......

I now find 35mm on my Fuji X-E2 a great lens.....

Unfortunately I've seen quite a few threads like this one recently....where the OP has n't bothered to do any of their own research and expects everyone to spoon feed them - sad that society seems to be breeding more and more of the "you help me rather me help myself" attitude....

Unfortunately I've seen quite a few threads like this one recently....where the OP has n't bothered to do any of their own research and expects everyone to spoon feed them - sad that society seems to be breeding more and more of the "you help me rather me help myself" attitude....

It is annoying. I've replied to another thread with someone asking about a flash. I was the only reply. I imparted what little knowledge I had and even linked a video. I clicked on the member name and it said the last thread they viewed was that one, which was a while ago. They've since been on TP loads, posted and not even a thanks.

I bought the above lens a few months back and I haven't really used it. What subjects could I use it on

Absolutely anything you want. What a weird question.

I guess none of the suggestions have helped the OP as they've not been back.

It is annoying. I've replied to another thread with someone asking about a flash. I was the only reply. I imparted what little knowledge I had and even linked a video. I clicked on the member name and it said the last thread they viewed was that one, which was a while ago. They've since been on TP loads, posted and not even a thanks.

I've been busy !! So EXCUSE ME if I haven't replied to this particular thread !!

I've been busy !! So EXCUSE ME if I haven't replied to this particular thread !!
Don't take it so personally, but remember we're all human, and you've been back to the forum on other threads whilst ignoring this one. And most people would consider it bad manners to not say Thanks. They'd also consider it even worse behaviour to ignore the thanks and get all aggressive about being pulled up for a breach of manners.

If you want to be taken seriously at all (which you're really struggling with currently), I'd suggest you start that post with an apology for not doing so sooner, then offer the Thanks. It's just good manners, and it'll get you more job offers than a diploma, and a better life too, because most people hold a little bit of treating others the way others treat them.

It's the sort of question you'd ask before buying a lens and then see if it fitted in with what you wanted to do. I also find it strange that you'd buy the 50mm 1.4 for £250 whereas the 1.8 can be bought for £80.

Simple answer here, I didn't want the 1.8.

Well, you were the OP, so it was kind of your duty to. I've obviously offended you, for which I apologise and as way of an apology I'll make sure not to post in your threads again.

Simple answer here, I didn't want the 1.8.

But you wanted to 1.4 over the 1.8 for.................................?

If you wanted to take landscapes, a 50mm prime was an odd choice. The generally accepted wisdom would be to buy a tripod and some filters.

The good news is that your lens should have retained a decent resale value. Trade it in for something you'll use - your kit should be a tool not a trophy.

As for settings for landscapes, this is a question unrelated to the lens - generally you'd use smaller apertures for landscapes (for greater DoF) so a 1.4 is complete overkill.

I'd recommend doing some basic research (and getting outside with what you have) before buying any more kit - or you'll end up with a collection of expensive paperweights.

Looking at your Flickr - you've taken some shots of fish and flowers with your 18-135mm - so maybe the same stick with this but try with this lens and see what happens.

Infact - here's a good example:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/daelpix/14462739161/

That was shot at 47mm (so near enough 50mm) but f/5.6. The same shot at f/1.4 would've blurred the background & foreground much more, making the orchid stand out more.

Why did you go for the 1.4 over the 1.8 out of curiosity? The only difference from a photograph point is lower light sensitivity (do you shoot gigs?) and/or really shallow DOF - neither of which lend themselves generally to landscapes...

Looking at your Flickr - you've taken some shots of fish and flowers with your 18-135mm - so maybe the same stick with this but try with this lens and see what happens.

Infact - here's a good example:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/daelpix/14462739161/

That was shot at 47mm (so near enough 50mm) but f/5.6. The same shot at f/1.4 would've blurred the background & foreground much more, making the orchid stand out more.

Why did you go for the 1.4 over the 1.8 out of curiosity? The only difference from a photograph point is lower light sensitivity (do you shoot gigs?) and/or really shallow DOF - neither of which lend themselves generally to landscapes...

While I was at Harlow Carr Gardens that day, I think I was thinking to myself that I should have taken my 50mm lens....but oh well......maybe the next time I go I'll take it.
There wasn't many flowers out and not much colour and it was a waste of time going.

The only reason I shot that flower at 47mm was because my dad said I was too close, so I shot it at that distance.

I don't like the 18-135mm but that's a different thread altogether, which I've already covered.

Why I bought the 1.4? If you search my posts, maybe you'll find some answers and maybe you won't.

Had a flick through - nothing really to say. But you could just tell us as opposed to making us search through your posts?

Harlow Carr's a lovely garden - usually lots of seasonal interest throughout the year (though I am biased as I used to work for the RHS...). Veg garden should've been in full go, and the hot gardens too.

Just seems strange you bought a pretty expensive lens, generally known as a great for portraits, when you don't want to take portraits, and a £90 equivalent was available.

"What subjects could I use it on except for portraits..."

Have you taken a look at the Canon 50mm f/1.4 USM group (or any other 50mm group) on flickr for some inspiration? A lot of people shots in there admittedly, but a smattering of other stuff as well.

Back