Suffolk Locations

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm off to Suffolk in the summer for my family holiday and am wanting to take some photos whilst i'm there.

As it's my family holiday I don't want to be too selfish about my time so I'm really wanting to know where to go before I get there and scout a few places on Google, TPE, Flickr, 500px etc. Although, I might get a couple of hours if my wife meets up with an old friend.

I might be able to pop out for a sunset after our son has gone to bed but I don't want to go too far from base. We are staying near Framlingham.

So far my list goes something like this:

• Southwold Pier
  • Southwold beach huts
  • Aldburgh
  • Woodbridge harbour
  • Saxtead mill (potential sunset location)

Are there any other must do places? Anywhere else in Woodbridge to go to?

I don't really mind what kind of photography, landscape, architecture, long exposure, abstract etc.

Any places you can suggest would be great.

Near woodbridge there is Butley, there isnt much there but there is a farm with an abandonned steam train rusting away....there used to be loads of old farm machinary but its all gone except the train, its pretty cool, and before butley is melton... often get some nice stots walking along the river there....Good pub just near the bridge too :) I live just down the road from woodbrige so go there a fair bit.

Have fun.

Near woodbridge there is Butley, there isnt much there but there is a farm with an abandonned steam train rusting away....there used to be loads of old farm machinary but its all gone except the train, its pretty cool, and before butley is melton... often get some nice stots walking along the river there....Good pub just near the bridge too :) I live just down the road from woodbrige so go there a fair bit.

Have fun.

Thanks. I'll look those ones up.

Is there any places in Woodbridge itself that I should scout out too? Tides mill? Anywhere else? Or should I just hang around the harbour and see what I see?

I'd say the harbour is probably best photography wise, plus it's ideal for a nice walk up to the town.

Other places near Woodbridge that might be worth checking out is Orford (has a castle), Waldringfield (sits on the River Deben, and has a pub/restaurant that looks out onto the river, nice on a summers evening :) )

Hi

I'm in Ipswich, we have a water front area that's pretty nice at night. Also if you have kids Jimmy 's farm is a good, cheap day out for them and there's some good animal shot opportunities, there's also a poly tunnel with butterflies. There's some pics on my Flickr (not necessarily good one's) if you want an idea of some of the places in the area, they should be pointed out on the map.

Enjoy your holiday!

Last edited:

Have fun.

Is this train still there ?
Anyone visited it recently ?

Alburgh - after the town try the walk south past the Martello tower on to Orford Ness. The weird ex MOD stuff is very hard work to get to - loose shingle.

Southwold - cliffs to the north, dunes and river to the south.

Oddly enough I've been to both recently. No claims for the images - I'm a learner but they might give you a feel for the places. http://www.flickr.com/photos/16817419@N05/

If you go to Aldeburgh you must have the fish n chips from the takeaway at the southern end of the town, next to the pub, and if you like beer you won't get a better pint of adnams anywhere.
Walking north out of Aldeburgh along the coast you will get to The Shell sculpture on the beach, sunrise is probably best time for a photo.

Another place to investigate is The Maltings at Snape (antiques and craft shops etc)

Back