Suggest an itinerary for a day in London, please.

Edit My Images
Yes
Next Saturday our club is having an away day to the big smoke. Return Virgin train from Wigan and all day unlimited travel on buses and tubes for less than £40. Costs me that in petrol to go to the Lakes!

Train arrives in Euston at 9:13 and the train home is at 19:30. Seems like there is no fixed itinerary and we are free to go where we want. We might group up or not - no one seems too sure.

So where does a total stranger to the focus of all things English go for a day? I'd like to see the poppies but after that I'm looking for inspiration. Do I stick to the tripper stuff or are there better places? No idea how the buses and tubes work or interconnect so that will be a bit learning curve.

Obviously I don't weant to be charging round for 10 hours so an easy paced progamme would be welcome. Food/drink stops will be a must. Anyone any suggestions - polite ones!

start by going next door to st pancras station(mainline) the roof is amazing, food is not an issue pubs cafes etc everywhere if your going to the tower of london for the poppies make sure you get down to the river ....st pauls,hms befast etc,hth mike.

Use the Transport for London Website TfL for information on which tube stations are closed at the weekend and also any engineering work that is taking place.

Also make sure you have a London A-Z or at least a good map of the central area.

Covent Garden (nearest tube is Covent Garden on the Piccadilly line) is worth a visit for street entertainers. From there a possible walk from there could be head towards Trafalgar Square, down Whitehall to Parliament Square, across Westminster Bridge and then along the South Bank past the London Eye (more street entertainers and possible shots across the river, and then on towards Waterloo Bridge.

If you are feeling hungry head back over the river via Waterloo Bridge and try the Bistro, 33 Southampton Street, WC2E 7HE. The food is good and cheap and Southampton Street is close the the north end of Waterloo Bridge. The total distance by the above route from Covent Garden to the Bistro is about 2.5 miles. If you fancy a drink have a look at the Coach and Horses in Wellington Street, WC2E 7BD. This is on the east side of Covent Garden and about 5 mins walk from the Bistro. Apart from serving excellent Guinness it is a pub where people are actually talking to each other.

Sunset next Saturday is about a quarter to seven so if you wanted the sun setting over London you may be a bit pushed for time but there may be a chance of catching some good shots towards the end of the day. Waterloo Bridge or the Millennium Bridge would be good vantage points.

There is so much you could do, I'm sure there will many more suggestions from others.

Hope your day goes well.

Dave

Thanks guys. Apart from trips between Euston and St Pancras for Eurostar I think the last time I was in London was in the late 1960s!!!
I suspect things might be a bit different now. Back then I slept in the back of my mini van in Sussex Gardens.

Fave spots of mine are Camden lock / Horse market, the Southbank, Leadenhall market is small but nice with LLoyds next to it

Did that last weekends, did the poppies, plus the eye and walked around Greenwich, museums, the planetarium (the show was worth the extra) used the ferry to get to greenwich, then light railway to get back, then walked back along the river passed tower bridge. Lots of restaurant along the river from the tait modern back to the eye. Booked most of the attractions in advance with fast track to avoid the queues. Just depends what you want to do, lots of things and places to see.

There's so much round Euston, you need not even get on the underground. As already mentioned, St Pancras and Camden are nearby.
Also, King's Cross station is pretty cool architecture. The British Museum is about a 15 minute walk away as is Regent's Park which includes the zoo if animals are your thing.
The Indian restaurants next to Euston on Drummond Street are famously good value and worth a visit before HS2 stomps all over them.
Depends what kind of thing you like to take photos of. You could easily spend the whole day in Camden market and along the canal. You can even walk to the zoo along the canal from Camden.

Tonight's thought is to go via King's Cross to the Tower and Poppies. Then to Cutty Sark. Then come back and do the Coventry Garden walk as above.

This doable in the time? I've free travel on the tube. Does this go near Greenwich? Map is a bit unclear.

There's so much round Euston, you need not even get on the underground. As already mentioned, St Pancras and Camden are nearby.
Also, King's Cross station is pretty cool architecture. The British Museum is about a 15 minute walk away as is Regent's Park which includes the zoo if animals are your thing.
The Indian restaurants next to Euston on Drummond Street are famously good value and worth a visit before HS2 stomps all over them.
Depends what kind of thing you like to take photos of. You could easily spend the whole day in Camden market and along the canal. You can even walk to the zoo along the canal from Camden.
Sorry, we crossed there. I generally say I shoot anything but people but am just looking for something from a one off trip that might just be a bit different.

I don't know my way round Lunnun - I only just know how to get there!

I suppose that deep down I'm looking for shots not regularly seen up here in Merseyside.

Last edited:
Tonight's thought is to go via King's Cross to the Tower and Poppies. Then to Cutty Sark. Then come back and do the Coventry Garden walk as above.

This doable in the time? I've free travel on the tube. Does this go near Greenwich? Map is a bit unclear.
I think most people underestimate the distances and time involved when travelling around London.
King's Cross is nowhere near the Tower of London, the nearest underground station to the Tower is Tower Hill, and even then it's a good few minute's walk to the Tower walls, assuming you know where you are going.
The part of Greenwich you need for the Cutty Sark is not served by the underground, it's on the DLR (Docklands Light Railway.)
Don't be misled into thinking "North Greenwich" on the Jubilee Line is near Greenwich.
North Greenwich serves the O2 arena and not much else (other than the Emirates Airline cable car), and is nowhere near Greenwich itself.
The DLR interchanges with the underground at several places, mostly in east London.
If you visit the TFL website they have a journey planner which will suggest a route and also give you an estimate of the time it will take, although realistically you should add about 10 minutes to any of their journey estimates.
If you go on the DLR then you can use an "Oyster" card from the underground (which is what I assume you will have when you say "free travel on the tube"), the station you need is (surprisingly) called "Cutty Sark" and is pretty close to the ship.
Greenwich can be almost a whole day in itself, especially if you walk up to the Observatory.
Your other option, and one I would recommend, is to take a river boat tour to Greenwich, although of course it will cost extra.
You can get a boat from Tower Pier that will take you on a return trip to Greenwich, and on a fine day it's a great way to see London, with loads of photo opportunities.
If you choose the river option it's best to book on-line in advance, since you get the best deal that way.

To be realistic, a day is not long to see much of London, and if you're photographing as well then things can easily take longer than you plan.
I've lived in London for over 40 years and I still keep finding new places to photograph.

"Suggest an itinerary for a day in London, please."

If I was going, I'd research an area and just do that, I wouldn't want to spend half the day either lost or travelling on the underground.
I mean, at 9:13am....that's breakfast surely at the nearest breakfastery.
10:30 get the tube to "area"
11:00 scope the joint for subjects, vantage points and light
12:30 lunch ! Beer + something
2:00 - 6:00, shoot to hell and back.....easy
6:00 -> time to start thinking about getting back and not for the first time today....eating....lol

I couldn't be doing with tearing about trying to box tick half a dozen different locations, eating packup and being lost....mebbe I'm just a lazy bast :D

You don't need an Oyster Card, the ticket you'll have is a rail ticket with a London Travel Card included.

I'd suggest tube to Tower Hill, then over Tower Bridge (inside it as well if you want, the views from the walkways between the 2 towers are very good), then down by the Belfast. Gives you some nice shots of the Tower and of the contrast between old and new London. Belfast is worth a look too. There's a water bus that will take you to Greenwich from nest to the Belfast, it isn't free, but is at a reduced rate with a travelcard. The Boat is the best way to see the East of London, incl Wapping, Bermondsey, Deptford Creek (Where Victory was built) and Canary Wharf.
Greenwhich is very pleasent, there's not just the Cutty Sark, but also the park, and the meridian, and the old Naval College and Maritime museum. There's also some nice pubs for something to eat.

If you get the water bus back to say Westminster Bridge then you get the South Bank, London eye and parliament.

HMS Belfast has been mentioned a few times. As long you're not carrying a big backpack it's worth going into the ship. I only just got up and down the ladders with a small Lowe Pro Runner 200 AW on my back, it would sometimes scrape the floors. Much as I would liked to have carried a tripod on board, it's not practical when it's busy. I might try my small travel tripod another time so I can shoot at lower ISO's, but not spread its legs too wide. A wide angle lens is a must. When I visited I was on my way somewhere else, and I was in out in 50 minutes. Could have done with a little more time time though.

Borough Market is also worth a visit, near London Bridge tube just off the Embankment.

Lots to see and do in London.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for all your advice; much appreciated by a guy from meat pie land!

The travel ticket is a One Day Travelcard that gives unlimited travel in zones 1-6. No idea what they are, but I'm assuming it doesn't include DLR, so with the time constraints mentioned I'll knock the Greenwich idea on the head.

Latest idea - Kings Cross for the roof etc, tube to Tower. Cross the river and maybe HMS Belfast. Then Southbank to Waterloo Bridge. Lunch in Tringa's favourite restaurant^^^ then Covent Garden followed by the Westminster grocklespots (I'll be one of those on Saturday!). If time permits back by tube to Camden area. I assume that will fill a day. Must fit a pub in somewhere!

The travel ticket is a One Day Travelcard that gives unlimited travel in zones 1-6. No idea what they are, but I'm assuming it doesn't include DLR,

1-6 Travel card will cover the DLR.

Hope you have a great day out, I was in London yesterday and at times you almost couldn't see the pavement there were so many people!

5D3_2484_1500-2 by david.williams5Dmk3, on Flickr

My other thought was you might like to have a backup wet weather itinnerary, there are more than enough indoor free places for one day.

David

As a pub suggestion, I'll offer the White Horse on Parsons Green, a short hop from the Parsons Green station - very good food, and an eye-poppingly broad selection of beers, with several casks running at any time, plus bottles from around the world (and not the usual big breweries). It does tend to get busy, but if you're eating - and even if you're not up for a meal, their Scotch eggs are a delight, nicely spiced with the yolk still soft - head toward the dining area at the back.

If you're up for cider, the Euston Cider Tap (opposite the Euston Tap, which focuses on beer) outside the station has a very good selection of fantastic ciders from around the country.

As noted above, TfL's site has a journey planner on the front page, and it's also highly advisable to check the status updates - it'll even let you check the status for dates in the future. The system map's shown with any affected line sections in solid colors, with the rest of the system in grey.

Thank you. I've been looking at Tfl site. Wish we had something like that up here!

A couple of pints of cider before boarding the homebound train are high on the menu.

Since the Tower is top of your list, I'd go there first before the crowds descend.
Then head over Tower Bridge. Walk down through the 'More London' development which will take you past City Hall and HMS Belfast and give a view across the river of the Walkie Talkie etc. back across Waterloo bridge for the South Bank.

Last edited:
Thanks again. Once I found that zones 1-6 coverted DLR I went back to the idea of Greenwich. Than I found that most of it is shut next w/e for "essential maintenance".

Tower will be first stop come what may. Then I may revert to the southhbank idea unless I can finsd a sensible timetable for the water buses - the last one I looked at sent me by train to Ilford. Even I know that's not by the river!!!

As a pub suggestion, I'll offer the White Horse on Parsons Green, a short hop from the Parsons Green station - very good food, and an eye-poppingly broad selection of beers, with several casks running at any time, plus bottles from around the world (and not the usual big breweries). It does tend to get busy, but if you're eating - and even if you're not up for a meal, their Scotch eggs are a delight, nicely spiced with the yolk still soft - head toward the dining area at the back.

If you're up for cider, the Euston Cider Tap (opposite the Euston Tap, which focuses on beer) outside the station has a very good selection of fantastic ciders from around the country.

As noted above, TfL's site has a journey planner on the front page, and it's also highly advisable to check the status updates - it'll even let you check the status for dates in the future. The system map's shown with any affected line sections in solid colors, with the rest of the system in grey.

The Sloaney Pony is a) overpriced and b) 20 miles from the areas he's mentioned wanting to see.

Euston is a bit of a 60's dump. But if you turn left out of the main entrance you have the British Library and Kings Cross/St. Pancras on the same main road - all fantastic architecture.

Circle line to Tower Hill. You've got the Tower and Poppies, Tower Bridge, HMS Belfast and St. Katherine's Dock all within 5 mins walk. Whitechapel is a little further.

Then DLR Tower Gateway to Cutty Sark. Greenwich is great and there are plenty of eateries.

River bus back to Embankment to see Trafalgar Square then hop on a number 11 to College Green to see parliament.

Boris bike along Whitehall, through Horseguards and Green Park, past Buckingham Palace up through Hyde Park to Marble Arch. Then a bus along to Oxford Circus. Grab some street photos in and around Carnaby Street.

Walk north up Portland Place past Broadcasting House and you'll be 2 stops from Euston.

There are plenty of great cheap eats around. Tourist pubs aren't great value.

Thanks again. Once I found that zones 1-6 coverted DLR I went back to the idea of Greenwich. Than I found that most of it is shut next w/e for "essential maintenance".

Tower will be first stop come what may. Then I may revert to the southhbank idea unless I can finsd a sensible timetable for the water buses - the last one I looked at sent me by train to Ilford. Even I know that's not by the river!!!

Did you try HERE?

They run every 1/2 hour and it's only 20 minutes from Tower to Greenwich

Did you try HERE?

Nope, I haven't seen that one. That also looks very good. Quicker than the roundabout route needed to bypass the DLR closures.
If I go to Greenwich I'll book in advance to bypoass the queues, but if I do that I want to know that I can get there!!!

Last time I went past the Palace of Westminster, there was a some scaffolding on it. Think I'd give it a miss if I only had 1 day in town.

I looked at that but it needs all sort of registering which probably isn't worth the hassle.
just for one day.
Only for regular use. For one off use, pay by credit card at the bike stand. Gives you a one use code.

Did you try HERE?

A river trip is definitely a good option to Greenwich if the rail service is disrupted.
Those Thames Clippers are quite speedy and more intended as a bus service.
I think they are also a bit restricted when it comes to photography since they are completely enclosed, unless you shoot through the windows.
If you want a sightseeing trip you would probably be off better with a more leisurely cruise on a sightseeing boat, which will give more photographic opportunities and will also have a running commentary pointing out places of interest along the way.
There are a couple of companies offering sightseeing cruises:
http://www.citycruises.com/
http://www.thamesriverservices.co.uk/cruise-on-thames.cfm
Both have trips that depart from the Tower Bridge area to Greenwich.
If you are at the Tower then I'd suggest a look at St Katherine's Dock, which is a place I like to photograph, and also, as has been previously suggested, the south bank opposite the Tower, with City Hall, HMS Belfast etc, although to suggest that HMS Belfast is "5 minutes walk" from the Tower is highly optimistic, it'll take you longer than that just to walk from the Tower and over Tower Bridge.

Once again thanks guys. Looks like there's more than one day's work here - as I expected.
Got my plans in my head: club night tonight so everything might change once we reach the pub.
Watch this space.

Back