Suggested equipment for Le Mans

Edit My Images
No
A friend runs an events company and he has asked me if I would like to do some photography at Le Mans for him. I've never done motorsport before, but will make damn sure I get enough practise in before I get there.

I was wondering what lens and equipment would be ideal. As weddings is the main type of photography I do, I have the following available at the moment:

- 5DMKII's
- 24-70 2.8 L
- 70 - 200 2.8 IS L
- 16-35 2.8 L

I was thinking of hiring a 1D3 and a 100-400L but wondered if the 100-400L would be necessary if I had the 70-200 on the 1D3? I need to confirm this, but I believe I would access to where the event togs are (his tog last year was trackside too).

Any help greatly appreciated.

A friend runs an events company and he has asked me if I would like to do some photography at Le Mans for him. I've never done motorsport before, but will make damn sure I get enough practise in before I get there.

I was wondering what lens and equipment would be ideal. As weddings is the main type of photography I do, I have the following available at the moment:

- 5DMKII's
- 24-70 2.8 L
- 70 - 200 2.8 IS L
- 16-35 2.8 L

I was thinking of hiring a 1D3 and a 100-400L but wondered if the 100-400L would be necessary if I had the 70-200 on the 1D3? I need to confirm this, but I believe I would access to where the event togs are (his tog last year was trackside too).

Any help greatly appreciated.

best equipment for le mans is a bottle opener
thats all you need really

if you are getting a media pass then i'd hire a 2xTC for the 70-200, as IMHO thats just as good as a 100-400

but if you arent getting a media pass i'd think twice about hiring equipment for track shots, because there arent that many places you can shoot at without a bit of tenacity. big fences, and a lot of people in your way for the whole 24 hours.

have fun!
and the bottle opener was a serious answer, and the best advice you'll get!

Everything Gary said is spot on.
It's a terrible track for spectator photography; there are only a handful of spots where you can snatch a glimpse of the track unobstructed by fencing and I'd only rate one of the grandstands as any good for photography.

It is normal for high temperatures and there are vast distances between the publicly accessible parts of the circuit; it's a physical ordeal regardless of how much kit you are carrying.

If you don't get trackside pass, then there's still loads of photo opportunities; the antics the spectators get up to is amazing.
Carry a decent compact with you at all times; it will probably get you your most memorable images :)
Also, it's definitely worth getting onto the track for the champagne spraying; great atmosphere :D

Last edited:
I didn't know you went for the race Mark ;)

I've always fancied doing some sneaking down to the Mulsanne straight at night close up - but I'm told it's harder each year to get access.

thanks for all the help guys. It looks like I'll get the gig, but not so sure about trackside though. I think I'll pick up a 1D3 and a 100-400 as I heard that a 1.4x can slow the AF down a bit on the 70-200, plus I'll only get upto 280mm with a tc.

Ae you going to the Classic? I'm heading back with my 60D this year and I think I'm going to hire a 100-400 from lenspimp.... Got an 18-270 but I think I'd like a bit more range and well...they look cool!

Ae you going to the Classic? I'm heading back with my 60D this year and I think I'm going to hire a 100-400 from lenspimp.... Got an 18-270 but I think I'd like a bit more range and well...they look cool!

Its the 24h happening over the 2nd week of June. I'm actually looking forward to it, but also ***** scared as I'm mainly a wedding tog!

hsuffyan said:
Its the 24h happening over the 2nd week of June. I'm actually looking forward to it, but also ***** scared as I'm mainly a wedding tog!

You'll be fine! Also, a chance to have some fun with some night shots if you find the right locations! I don't know if it's worth trying to get out onto the edge of one of the straights? No Idea if you can but I know that a major part of the track is usually public roads when the racing is off, so perhaps look at going there? If you find some good locations let me know as I'll be there in July! Also, let me low how the 100-400 goes if you decide to use one.

If you're going General Admission you won't be able to go anywhere near the Mulsanne straight unless you want to end up in clink!
You will only get from the Porsche Curves, through the stadium complex and to Tetre Rouge. Believe me, first time round that's plenty of decent opportunity!!

I took all my camera gear last year....hardly took any photo's. It's far too much of an awesome event to be worrying about taking photo's. Fences are everywhere, crowds are everywhere. It's just not worth the hassle.

I'm actually thinking about taking a compact camera with my this year.

I'm looking forward to Mad Friday too :). external wastegate with screamer pipe should be good :).

It's looking doubtful for me now. I don't think I can get the time off work to go along. But I might get my mate to offer it here cos it sounds like fun.

I've not been for a couple of years but agree with all of the above. There a few locations around the pits that give unhindered views of the track but not many. At the far end of the mulsanne straight is where I was at the end of e race. The bit that struck me was the state of the cars! They are filthy!

More luck than judgement we got into a marshals area and then one of them even gave me a step ladder!

Most of the time I was shooting through fences. A few shoots came out ok (well ok for me!)

Good luck, you will have a great time. Im Not going this year but will be back for 2013!!

Back