Suggestion for creating backdrop stand from two light stands

Pound Coin

Horatio Nelson
Messages
5,037
Edit My Images
Yes
I am looking for a bar to put between two light stands, that I can hang a backdrop from, for an informal, off-site 'portrait' session.

Any simple suggestions?

(suggestions for cheap fabric backdrops would be good too - preferably not plain or too bright!)
 
You can buy a cheap background set from flebay or temu.
I've done a few weddings and functions where they have had a temu background. To be fair all the ones I have seen were decent quality.
Someone gave me an unwanted set from Ebay last, it's the stands, pole and backgrounds ( white and black) if I remember rightly they paid about £15 or £20 for it.
Seems solid enough.
If your just after a crossbar. Maybe a curtain pole, or even a monopod?
 
For the bar. You could have a look at curtain poles. Obviously would need a bit of jiggery-pokery. But a cheap option I reckon.
 
Actually, thinking about it, I have a washing line extending pole that I used for a green screen during lockdown. I'll see if I can repurpose that. (y)
 
Before adapting the washing-line pole, I would check how you will positively secure each end to the stand tops; the fittings are the bit worth sorting before hanging fabric above someone. If that becomes awkward, search for a telescopic background crossbar sold on its own, rather than another complete stand kit. For a non-plain fabric, a muted, low-contrast curtain is worth trying. Photograph a small section with your intended light and aperture first: that is a quick way to see whether its pattern or sheen will distract before buying enough material for the whole backdrop.
 
Back
Top