Suggestion on a MF camera

Name
Ujjwal
Edit My Images
No
I was thinking of buying a MF camera; and Mamiya 6 really appeals ( but for the rarity offcourse).

So I thought I will cast the net wide a bit and see what else is available out there.

The Criteria:

1. 6X6
2. RF
3 Interchangeable lens
4 Small size ( relatively speaking)
5. Manual focus or Autofocus

Can you please suggest some options; and if possible, the possible price range

Ujjwal

metering ?
age ?

besides a 6, there aren't any that aren't pretty old folders, like super ikonta or agfa isolette, not interchangeable lens though, you open choice up slightly with 645, 6x7 and 6x9.

Hasselblad if you're going for 6x6 lots of spares and components around and they last forever, 50x, eg (500, 503) models are the ones to go for, there's often older digital backs knocking around too if you're feeling flush. Cost wise they're not that cheap, around £400 should get you enough kit to start eg, camera, finder, lens and back if you shop around and keep your eyes on ebay

What about the Russian route?.
I don't know where you live, but Pershore Cameras, Worc. had in stock a few weeks ago a complete Kiev set in lovely nik. for a couple of hundred.

Known as the Hasslebladski.

The firm is Pershore Camera Centre, 49, High Street, Pershore, Worc. Tel: 01386 553 991.

I was tempted by this myself, but knew I would hardly use it.

Good Luck. P.S.

Sorry; yes 6X4.5 is OK. Metering not an issue - without or with, both are fine. But I would like interchangeable lens.

I use a Bronica now, great camera; but a bit large for regular carry around.

So I was looking for a smaller camera that can be carried around. Doesn't have to be a folder. In fact I was thinking of the Mamiya 6, the new one.

Agewise; I would like something not very old; since I intend to keep this one ( have ben buying too many cameras; now I have to rationalise them; and stick to a few)

Didn't realise Kiev are RF and not SLR...

Are there any options?

I reckon your only choice is the mamiya 6 for interchangeable lenses. Fuji did some fixed lens rfs though that are supposed to be good. The 6 is an incredible but of kit though, but expensive

Bronica 645 RF is a small as you're gonna get, its smaller than a 6

bronica 645? how is the cam? any user feedback/experience. I am assuming the lens for ETRS and 645 are different

bronica 645? how is the cam? any user feedback/experience. I am assuming the lens for ETRS and 645 are different

I've handled one only and its a really nice pro bit of kit, it has its own range of quality lenses.
That's all I can say besides what it says in interweb reviews.
I think it shoots in portrait orientation, but I can't remember noticing.

Ffordes has one...nearly 600 quids. So the same price as Mamiya 6, give or take 100 quids. Are the lens cheaper than Mamiya?

Fuji R/F are good. I once had a 645 and it was fantastic quality.

The 6x7 or 6x9 is a great landscape format too

Ffordes has one...nearly 600 quids. So the same price as Mamiya 6, give or take 100 quids. Are the lens cheaper than Mamiya?

I dunno...I think they're pretty similar, I think maybe they're a bit scarcer.

I took my A1 in to Dale photographic on Wednesday for squeak repair, I just remembed seeing one in their 2nd hand display case.
Its here in their web site.....nothins ever cheap is it..:LOL:

Thanks Joxby. Not cheap indeed; but about half the price of a rolex SD used; and it often sits in drawers.

I gotta get rid of my Leica SLR kit; and gotta satisfy my MF craving.

Just one more OT question Joxby. I would need to repair a belcar flash pack...one of the potentiometers on a modelling light isn't working. Can you please recommend a reasonable priced place.....

I would need to repair a belcar flash pack...one of the potentiometers on a modelling light isn't working. Can you please recommend a reasonable priced place.....

Sorry, no idea, I was lucky to find a repairer for this A1, wouldn't know where to start with flash equipment.

That's a lie, I'd start here at the Flash Centre in Leeds, I don't even know if they do repairs but they might know someone that does..:shrug:

FYI ffordes have a full mamiya 6 kit for sale without a polariser for 2 grand (it's not mine)

You can't say that, you'll get banzorred...:LOL:

jeeeeez is ok and jebus.......I think

unbelievable.

I have never; and I mean never; in my working and living around various parts of the world; found that expression unacceptable in any educated and civil society.

Anyways, thanks Joxby for the timely warning. Just curious, is there a standard list of words unacceptable around here; or it is made up as one goes along?

Plus back to the topic :

So my choice is limited to Bronica or Mamiya, if I want a RF with interchangeable lens.

What is a good choice if I want a folder version with no interchangeable lens but a RF( I had a Zeiss Nettar- it had no RF. So what would be a good reliable workhorse with a very high quality lens)

Back