Suggestions for a compact camera

Edit My Images
No
I have a canon 40d but there are times when I just want to grab a little compact camera to grab snaps when out and about with the family. We have an old Casio that son it's last legs so looking for suggestions on good quality replacements in the price range up to £250

Well - I'm slightly biased, but a second hand X10 is well within your budget.

Two of my ARPS panel prints were produced with the X10, the image quality is very acceptable.
I've had my X10 nearly two years and it is still producing wonderful images; here's a set of 18 images I took earlier in the week using the X10 in preference to my big cameras and posted into the baby X thread (well worth looking at the rest of the thread) :)
http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?p=5772006#post5772006

Thanks for the suggestion. Those shots look really good. The X10 is slightly larger than I'd want for such grab and go cases, but worth keeping in mind.

Anyone else have any other suggestions?

Hi, It might be worth giving the "Fuji XF1" a look. They have the same sensor as the X10, a very good quality 25-100mm lens and are basically a cut down version of the X10 ie some of the frills are missing.

My wife has one of these and I have made A3+ size prints from it of very good quality.

They are on sale from the Fuji refurb shot within your budget.

Hope this helps.

Thanks chaps, the XF1 looks very interesting. Will explore that a little further.

Can't help but mention the Canon S100/S110
If you're used to shooting RAW with the 40D you will like what these can do with similar workflow, and it's a tiny thing hardly the size of a pack of cards.

Iv been after a compact camera for the past few months as I didn't want to be humping all my gear around when on holiday, anyhow after hr's n hr's of reading reviews n watching Utube clips I decided to order the Lumix TZ40 from amazon, its not turned up yet as only ordered it yesterday so cant give my view on how good/bad it is... but its well withing your 250 quid price range..

Iv been after a compact camera for the past few months as I didn't want to be humping all my gear around when on holiday, anyhow after hr's n hr's of reading reviews n watching Utube clips I decided to order the Lumix TZ40 from amazon, its not turned up yet as only ordered it yesterday so cant give my view on how good/bad it is... but its well withing your 250 quid price range..

What was it in your research that made the TZ40 stand out?

What was it in your research that made the TZ40 stand out?

with me going abroad to a place iv never been to before the built in GPS would come in very useful for tagging where the photos wer taken as there's nothing worse than taking hundreds of photos & can never remember exactly where they were taken from..
also with the built in wifi Im hoping i can upload photos to facebook whilst away for family to see even before I get home.. plus the video & photo quality sounds really good after looking at many reviews on Utube about it.....

Had a look in Currys/PC World today at all the suggestions. They all seem pretty good, although my during my brief play the TZ40 looked a little difficult to adjust settings. Probably me missing something obvious but there was no dial to adjust shutter speed/aperture when you were in the appropriate mode.

Back