Suggestions for places to stay Ogwen Valley

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I was thinking of having a few days away in the Ogwen Valley in the next month or so, and wondered if anyone had ideas about locations to stay? I was looking at booking holiday cottage as the prices seem reasonable but dont know where to be looking. I don't want to be too far from the valley ideally, but am not familiar with wales at all, and so wondered if anyone could perhaps post main the right direction of places to stay?

Don't know the holiday cottages because I live there (!) but anywhere in Bethesda or Tregarth is convenient. The Snowdonia Mountain Lodge does b+b and is in the valley south of Bethesda - very convenient, no idea what it's like.

Don't know the holiday cottages because I live there (!) but anywhere in Bethesda or Tregarth is convenient. The Snowdonia Mountain Lodge does b+b and is in the valley south of Bethesda - very convenient, no idea what it's like.
Excellent thanks! I was looking but being unfamiliar with the area, when locations were coming up as 'near snowdonia' I did not expect a 60 minute drive. I will have a look in those areas and thank you for taking the time to respond. Can I also just say that the images on your website are superb.

YHA hostel at Idwal Cottage, if you can cope with that!(and if it's open.....). you'd be right on the spot then.

There's also a privately run (but YHA branded) hostel opposite the Swallow Falls, about 2 miles W of Betws-y-coed. It has a guest kitchen and you can also get meals etc in the hotel next door.

Otherwise various possibilities in Capel Curig.

Last edited:
Two bunkhouses in the Ogwen Valley, Gwern Gof Isaf and Gwern Gof Uchaf. Very cheap but very basic. Otherwise, try the YHA at Idwal or alternatively stay at Plas Curig Hostel (best of the lot) in Capel Curig. The B&B of Bron Eryri (in Capel Curig) is sometimes used by my clients and they report it to be very good. Best breakfast is at the Moel Siabod Café, and best Pub is the Tyn-Y-Coed in Capel Curig. Avoid Bethesda IMO.

Have a look on Google maps, several holiday cottages and other guest establishments pop up in the nearby area.

Thanks everoyne for the suggestions and assistance. I am really grateful. I was thinking of taking my dad but he is not able to walk very far, so I am not sure if the valley would be any good for him. That was why I was thinking more of a cottage type thing so he could also hang about there if I headed out somewhere that he might not want to go but I will definitely check those out. Again many thanks for the assistance.

I'm in Conwy, have a look at the static caravan rental websites for the area (there loads), I would think they are relatively cheap this time of the year

That smacks of prejudice. Reasons?

That's a weird thing to say, it's only prejudiced if @gregww1 hasnt been there. If he has been to Bethesda he would know it's nowhere near as nice compared to Capel Curig, Betws y Coed and Beddgelert.

I mean have you been to Bethesda? Other than being close to the Ogwen valley it doesn't have a lot going for it. Limited amenities and it feels stuck in the past and not in a good way. No offence intended to anyone who lives there but as a holiday destination for @Nguss 's dad Capel Curig would be much better. Or one of the other villages I mentioned and @Nguss just drives a bit further to where he wants to go each morning.

If you do go on your own Gwern gof uchaf/isaf camping or bunkhouse for the win...

That smacks of prejudice. Reasons?

That's a weird thing to say, it's only prejudiced if @gregww1 hasnt been there. If he has been to Bethesda he would know it's nowhere near as nice compared to Capel Curig, Betws y Coed and Beddgelert.

I mean have you been to Bethesda? Other than being close to the Ogwen valley it doesn't have a lot going for it. Limited amenities and it feels stuck in the past and not in a good way. No offence intended to anyone who lives there but as a holiday destination for @Nguss 's dad Capel Curig would be much better. Or one of the other villages I mentioned and @Nguss just drives a bit further to where he wants to go each morning.

If you do go on your own Gwern gof uchaf/isaf camping or bunkhouse for the win...

Spot on there Craig, I've been going to this part of Snowdonia for many many years, and although in that time Bethesda has gained a Tesco Express, that's the only positive thing I can say for it as a holiday destination.

Thanks all again for contributions, I am trying to get on one of @gregww1 workshops this year but it is proving difficult with commitments so will give this a go and see if I can get back.

Always welcome, got 1-2-1 dates too if that suits better. In any case, have fun discovering!

Back