Suggestions for portrait lens (Nikon fit)

Name
Trevor
Edit My Images
No
As above,I have a Nikon 18-70mm lens at present.

Any recommendations for a lens to shoot full portrait mainly outdoors?
Have googled a bit and some suggestions are recommending Nikon 105mm macro.

As I often do small product shots would the macro 105mm be the best way forward or should I go for a dedicated prime?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

The 105 Micro is a lovely sharp lens, but you'd be quite far back for full portrait to be honest. I would also consider the 50mm f1.8 (or f1.4 for a little more) or the 85mm f1.8. These are both very nice primes and a cheaper than the Micro. Hope this of some use :)

The 105 Micro is a lovely sharp lens, but you'd be quite far back for full portrait to be honest. I would also consider the 50mm f1.8 (or f1.4 for a little more) or the 85mm f1.8. These are both very nice primes and a cheaper than the Micro. Hope this of some use :)

Will read more on the 85mm f1.8 see if this gives the distance I'd like between camera and model.

Thanks for the advice

you say you have the 17-70. ask the other half/child/friend/family member to pose for you and see which focal length you tend to use the most(the pictures will have the focal length in the exif info). most choices fall to a 35mm, 50mm or a 85mm prime though.

you say you have the 17-70. ask the other half/child/friend/family member to pose for you and see which focal length you tend to use the most(the pictures will have the focal length in the exif info). most choices fall to a 35mm, 50mm or a 85mm prime though.

Thanks 'fletch5'
I have tried the 17-70 on many occations OK for face/should shots,thought 105mm would allow me to have more distance to work..!
Finding aim pushing the 17-70mm at the moment.

Thanks 'fletch5'
I have tried the 17-70 on many occations OK for face/should shots,thought 105mm would allow me to have more distance to work..!
Finding aim pushing the 17-70mm at the moment.

but perhaps it might tell you which focal length works best for you. i assume you have one of the cropped sensor ones. this approximately puts the 35mm prime as a 50mm on 35mm, the 50mm prime becomes equiv to a 85, and the 85 becomes 135 prime. if you are at the top end of the 17-70 when you shoot portraits then the 85 is going ot be a good choice, if your average is 40-60, then 50 is about right. smaller and you need the 35mm prime.

if more distance from subject is needed, then a 105 or 135 would work, but that is putting you quite far back for full body shots

but perhaps it might tell you which focal length works best for you. i assume you have one of the cropped sensor ones. this approximately puts the 35mm prime as a 50mm on 35mm, the 50mm prime becomes equiv to a 85, and the 85 becomes 135 prime. if you are at the top end of the 17-70 when you shoot portraits then the 85 is going ot be a good choice, if your average is 40-60, then 50 is about right. smaller and you need the 35mm prime.

if more distance from subject is needed, then a 105 or 135 would work, but that is putting you quite far back for full body shots

Just gone over some previous shots,the average is 65mm!

So perhaps the 85mm is worth a look.

Thanks

Or if your flush get the 85mm 1.4 its a superb portrait lens..one of the best.

Thanks all for your guidance,much appreciated!

Looked at warehouseexpress just for a baseline figure:
85mm f1.8 D AF £249.00
85MM f1.4 D AF £749.00

I guess the higher price is for the larger aperture,or is it quality of build/glass?

Thanks all for your guidance,much appreciated!

Looked at warehouseexpress just for a baseline figure:
85mm f1.8 D AF £249.00
85MM f1.4 D AF £749.00

I guess the higher price is for the larger aperture,or is it quality of build/glass?

Actually, both :D

Whether the better build quality and slightly faster glass are worth £500 to you only you can say ;)

I know it wasn't to me and I'm really happy with my 1.8

Or if your flush get the 85mm 1.4 its a superb portrait lens..one of the best.

Stuart should know ... :cautious: ... has been care-taking mine for some time now and I can tell you he has posted some absolutely spiffing images from it and now refuses to give it up ... :naughty:

From what I hear this is your best bet for a portrait lens and would be very hard to beat ... ;)

It would also complement your existing set up nicely ... :shrug:

:p

Thanks to all for your input,really appreciate it.

Can anyone point me in the direction of some shots taken with the f1.8 & 1.4 please?
I have googled a bit but can only find head/shoulders portrait shots,would like to find some full length photos.

This thread has been pretty useful to me too as I'm thinking about getting a 85mm f1.8, so its nice to see some of the shots taken with it.

Cheers

Simon

Best price so far is purelygadgets.co.uk

F1.4 @ £557.96
f1.8 approx £220.00

Stuart should know ... :cautious: ... has been care-taking mine for some time now and I can tell you he has posted some absolutely spiffing images from it and now refuses to give it up ... :naughty:

From what I hear this is your best bet for a portrait lens and would be very hard to beat ... ;)

It would also complement your existing set up nicely ... :shrug:

:p

Yep still babysitting it for you mate...Its an awesome lens for sure..
jp.jpg

a8-1.jpg

STU_8594.jpg

STU_9306.jpg

Yep still babysitting it for you mate...Its an awesome lens for sure..
jp.jpg

a8-1.jpg

STU_8594.jpg

STU_9306.jpg

Stop it Stuart,after looking at your shots aim leaning towards the 1.4 especially if I can get it around the £500.00 mark!

All nice shots,but the last one looks so crisp.

What you going to do when it goes back?

I have a few I use, but one that hasn't been mentioned, for good reason, is the 70-200 2.8 VR, very popular with fashion guys, bikini shooters ;) etc.. I use it when i can, but there are a few potential problems:

- Price
- Weight
- Size. Likely to evoke a reaction if your subject is not a pro models!
- Because of the distance you may stand with it, in some cases it can be a pain trying to communicate with your subject. Case in point, I was shooting a musician last month, took him to a spot I found which is under a busy motorway section, lovely big pillars, surprisingly light and very little passing traffic (below the raised motorway remember)... problem was, he was at such a distance that it was hard to hear each other from the distance I'd put myself at, which normally wouldn't be an issue.

For a couple of the reasons above I have the 85 1.8, a lot less in your face, lovely lens. Would have the 1.4 out the two but the 1.8 is great still. Also have the 50 1.8 if I'm limited for space.

Back