Beginner Suggestions on amendments to kit

Andrew Moore

Suspended / Banned
Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello everyone,

Im new to the forum but not new to photography. I have however been under a hole for the past 2-3 years and have only recently jumped back on board with photography as a hobby.

My kit isnt the newest but it in some cases isnt poor. I have a list of kit with the reasons for me having it however I want to consolidate and renew with the least amount of cost to myself as possible.

Can you have a look at the kit list below and make suggestions as to what I should look to keep and what I should look to move on or upgrade.

Travel kit (lite holidays where a DSLR is a little much).
- Olympus OM-D E-M5 (silver) with flash and both battery grips.
- 45mm f1.8 Olympus prime.
- 12-50mm "kit" lens with macro function.
- Two batterys.
- 2x 32GB 90mbs cards.

Main kit (for days out at events such as Goodwood or walks in the lakes).
- Canon 7D (mk1) with Grip. (three batterys). Main
- EF-S 10-22mm wide angle.
- EF-S 17-55mm f2.8.
- EF 50mm mk1.
- EF 70-200mm f4L.
- 700D with Grip (three batterys). Spare
- Various CF/SD cards and adaptors totalling circa 120GB storage.
- Neewar TT850 Flash with wireless trigger and spare battery.

Accessories.
- Various hard cases for lenses and bodies.
- Various hand and neck straps.
- Various home studio bits such as lamps, reflectors, screens, umbrellas, stands etc.
- Various filters such as ND / UV etc

So as you can see, the newest kit there is probably the OM-D E-M5 or perhaps the 700D body? The 700D is entry level, missing a number of features off of the 7D and has little to no AF points compared to the other cameras. Its tilting screen however makes for good viewing for video but video isnt much to be talked about if we are being honest and the 7D and Olympus do it better.

I like the EM5 a hell of a lot due to how portable it is but it seems lacking compared to the decent glass and the 7D body combo.
The 7D is built like a tank where as the 700D is made of cheese.

I thought of the following options
- I was thinking about ditching everything and replacing with an Fujifilm X-T1 with 18-135mm stock lens and the 56mm f1.2 prime but given how much kit I have and what I would be left with I feel like I would likely feel short changed some how.
- Should I perhaps look at a 6D selling the 700D, 70D, the 50mm prime and the other EFS lenses and getting an 24-70mm F2.8L to go with the 70-200? This would leave me with the portable Olympus and a nice full frame (all be it a bit slow).
- Sell the entire canon kit and olympus 12-50mm lens, get a EM5 MK2 (use the other as a spare) and then buy the 12-40mm pro lens as well as a a couple of other nice m4/3 lenses to go with it?

Im a bit stuck as I have a mixed bag of OK kit, decent kit and otherwise old kit. I may after a couple of months get bored again and not touch it for a couple of years which would bring me back to square one in a couple of years time and upgrading for the sake of it but on the flip side, if I dont make up my mind soon I may put the kit back in its boxes sooner rather than later when in reality its a hobby that i do enjoy but just need that push to get motivated again even if its just because I have something new and shiny in my kit bags.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
That's certainly kit that you can take great photographs with - you don't need to have the newest kit!

Firstly welcome to the forum, it's a great place with lots of very knowledgable people.
Now as to your question, you already have a kit that many would envy, so what is that you feel is wrong with it and what do you like to photograph?
If I was in your position I would focus on actually getting out with your cameras, rediscovering what it was you loved shooting. That way in 6 months you will have a better idea as to whether you will get bored (in which case it's not cost you a penny) or what your current kit is missing, which will give you your shopping list.

Hi and welcome

Purely personal preference and experience. I'd be looking keep what you have and spend money elsewhere, e.g. travel expenses to better locations. If you're desperate for some gear acquisition - boy, I'd love one of those Olympus's but purely for sentimental reasons! - I'd sell the 7D and all with it apart from the 70-200mm - that's a cracking lens. I'd then purchase a 6D with a 24-105mm, another fantastic all rounder.

Head says keep what you have and look for other equipment if you're desperate to spend - e.g. filters, good tripod and so on. Heart says 6D :)

That's certainly kit that you can take great photographs with - you don't need to have the newest kit!

This is true but everyone likes a new pair of shoes from time to time.

Firstly welcome to the forum, it's a great place with lots of very knowledgable people.
Now as to your question, you already have a kit that many would envy, so what is that you feel is wrong with it and what do you like to photograph?
If I was in your position I would focus on actually getting out with your cameras, rediscovering what it was you loved shooting. That way in 6 months you will have a better idea as to whether you will get bored (in which case it's not cost you a penny) or what your current kit is missing, which will give you your shopping list.

It's the sheer size of the 7D and lenses that's the issue as well as the weight I guess. I want the compact size of the Olympus but performance and flexibility of the canon equipment which I admit is being a little picky. I'm hard to please it would seem! This is why the Fuji kit appeals but I'm not sure I could stomach selling off all that kit to consolidate on the off chance the quality isn't all there with the Fuji kit.

Your probably right about leaving it a few months before making up my mind. There's the 2016 photo comp to keep me busy with taking awful Instagram filter quality pics until I bring my skills back up to some sort of worthwhile level :)

Last edited:
Hi and welcome

Purely personal preference and experience. I'd be looking keep what you have and spend money elsewhere, e.g. travel expenses to better locations. If you're desperate for some gear acquisition - boy, I'd love one of those Olympus's but purely for sentimental reasons! - I'd sell the 7D and all with it apart from the 70-200mm - that's a cracking lens. I'd then purchase a 6D with a 24-105mm, another fantastic all rounder.

Head says keep what you have and look for other equipment if you're desperate to spend - e.g. filters, good tripod and so on. Heart says 6D :)

So your also one for gong down the option two route? I was thinking of doing the Same as suggested but opting instead for the 24-70 rather than that 24-105. It's arguably a better lens and I have a 70-200 so wouldn't be missing out on any range (he says speaking full frame rather than 1.6 Crop). I may have a look on eBay and follow listings for my own kit to get an idea of what it's all worth. If I can move the bodies and lenses out and get an upgrade to full frame and a kit focal range like L lens then I may satisfy that upgrade bug. On the flip side the 6D is massive just like the 7D so I could still end up not taking it out many places and justifying the purchase.

Decisions decisions.

On the flip side the 6D is massive just like the 7D so I could still end up not taking it out many places and justifying the purchase.

If you think a 6D and 7D are massive cameras, then you definitely don't want to buy a 6D (or any other full frame camera). Decent lenses for full frame are much larger than you're used to, especially if you swap out your mid range EF-S zoom for a 24-70.

Mirrorless is the way to go if you're shooting for fun. Smaller, lighter, cheaper, and less expensive to buy a massive range of far more interesting lenses than you have available on an EOS DSLR.

Given what you have, given your uses, what you've said about size and if you like the EM5 I would ditch all of the Canon gear and get either an EM5ii or and EM1 with the 12-40 pro and 40-150 pro. That will cover all your needs and is much smaller and lighter than the canon kit and equally as capable in everything except continuous autofocus of the 7D.

For me, unless you are doing sports or moving wildlife you don't really need a DSLR and actually mirrorless offer quite a few advantages.

Difficult to take decisions about gear upgrading or revision without knowing what you like to photograph. And what you want to do with your photographs. For you or advisers. What's the most enjoyable times you've had with a camera?

If you think a 6D and 7D are massive cameras, then you definitely don't want to buy a 6D (or any other full frame camera). Decent lenses for full frame are much larger than you're used to, especially if you swap out your mid range EF-S zoom for a 24-70.

Mirrorless is the way to go if you're shooting for fun. Smaller, lighter, cheaper, and less expensive to buy a massive range of far more interesting lenses than you have available on an EOS DSLR.

That's just the thing.. The 6D with 24-70 or 24-105 is actually around 50grams lighter than the 7D with the 17-55mm. The 17-55mm is a better lens than either of those L lenses optically, it just isn't weather sealed and the only reason I'd need to sell it is because it's EF-S and not compatible with full frame. The lens is actually larger than the 24-105 by around 10% in both weight and physical size alone so I have no issue nor am I not used to lenses of that size. I wouldn't call it a mid range lens either given its costs more than the 24-105 too.. I may be shooting for fun but I've already said the em5 seems limited and lenses I'd want are certainly not cheap, if anything thy cost more than the canon stuff.

Given what you have, given your uses, what you've said about size and if you like the EM5 I would ditch all of the Canon gear and get either an EM5ii or and EM1 with the 12-40 pro and 40-150 pro. That will cover all your needs and is much smaller and lighter than the canon kit and equally as capable in everything except continuous autofocus of the 7D.

For me, unless you are doing sports or moving wildlife you don't really need a DSLR and actually mirrorless offer quite a few advantages.

I've just had a quick look and that's some expensive kit! Is the EM5ii really that much better than the EM5? I know I'd get a focal range of 24-300 with those lenses which would exceed swapping out to a 6D as mentioned but my worry is the dynamic range and ISO performance of m4/3 unless it's improved some what since the EM5?

Difficult to take decisions about gear upgrading or revision without knowing what you like to photograph. And what you want to do with your photographs. For you or advisers. What's the most enjoyable times you've had with a camera?

In OP it says events like goodwood and walks in the lakes which basically covers fast moving Motorsport and landscapes basically. Other samples could include a bit of macro (but rare) and some wildlife so a fast camera body and lenses are a must really. :)

I think ultimately as has been mentioned in previous posts, it may be worth me for the time being holding off swapping anything out for a few months to see how I get on before making any decisions. If it turns out I'm not taking my 7D out that much then it's time to move on to a better mirror less system from Olympus or Fuji.

That's just the thing.. The 6D with 24-70 or 24-105 is actually around 50grams lighter than the 7D with the 17-55mm. The 17-55mm is a better lens than either of those L lenses optically, it just isn't weather sealed and the only reason I'd need to sell it is because it's EF-S and not compatible with full frame.

I don't think the 17-55 is a better lens than the current 24-70. Than the old 24-70, quite possibly. Than the 24-105, sure. Of course it only covers crop sensors, so it's a moot point if you buy a full frame camera.

The lens is actually larger than the 24-105 by around 10% in both weight and physical size alone so I have no issue nor am I not used to lenses of that size.

I did say more so the 24-70, and a decent lens, the 24-105 doesn't make the cut as a decent lens in my experience, and you did say,

On the flip side the 6D is massive just like the 7D so I could still end up not taking it out many places and justifying the purchase.

So sounds like you wouldn't be too happy with that option.

I wouldn't call it a mid range lens either given its costs more than the 24-105 too.. I may be shooting for fun but I've already said the em5 seems limited and lenses I'd want are certainly not cheap, if anything thy cost more than the canon stuff.

It is a mid range lens (or mid range zoom to use the words I actually used). e.g. 16-35 = short zoom, 24-70 = mid-range zoom, 70-200 = long(ish) zoom.

There are plenty of great, older lenses you could fit on the Oly (or another mirrorless system) that in my opinion would be much more fun to shoot with. They can be had for a fraction of the cost of the boring zooms you have at the moment.

But you already seem know what you want, so go do what you want, it's your money, enjoy it. :)

I think you should be looking at the Sony A7II. All the dynamic range and FF sensor quality you could possibly ask for in a tiny, lightweight package. I've been a little amazed when trying to adjust to a Nikon D610 from Sony a58 just how clunky and crude the 'enthusiast' Nikon is compared to the 'beginner' Sony to handle. I think you could comfortably replace both outfits with an A7II.

I too was going to suggest the A7ii, that was until I saw that you was into Motorsport and wildlife. I'm not sure if the AF on the Sony would be up to it. However could make an good additional body in place of the Olympus. You could also make use of the same lenses as the Canon :)

Honestly the AF on mirrorless camera's isn't quite up to par yet for motorsport, so for that alone I would keep a DSLR, but one option is to swap out the olympus kit for fuji kit.
The fuji's XT-1/XT-10/XE-2 are all light and compact but have great dynamic range and much better high ISO performance, I comfortably shoot at ISO 3200 regularly without issue.
The lenses are also very good, in fact some of the best you'll find especially the primes.

If not then upgrading the kit 12-50 to the much better 12-40 f2.8 is the way to go.

DSLR wise its your choice really, you could stay with APS-C and upgrade to the 7DII or go full frame with a 6D, theres no right or wrong here as long as you realise that you will lose some reach by going full frame as the crop factor will be missing, meaning your 70-200mm will give its true view on full frame whereas on the 7D it gives the view of a 112mm - 320mm lens on a FF camera, so could leave you feeling you need a longer lens for the motorsport side of things.

Thanks for the advice and replies..

Ive decided to get rid of the 700D and the 50mm mk1. Ill replace the 0mm mk1 with the new 50mm STM as its quite and newer/faster to focus, I can use the Olympus as a spare should I absolutely have to and with the cash I have back from the 700D, put it towards upgrading the 7D to the mk ii at a later date or towards an EM5 replacement once they catch up with speed and functionality over the 7D and similar DSLR.
I still like the Fuji idea so at some point in the future if I can find an X-Pro 1 and an 35mm f1.4 for circa £400-450 I may grab it and have a play. I think spending out on a whim for the XT1 when theres likely a replacement coming soon and swapping out lenses and bodies is too much of a risk as I could easily end up not liking the system which would be far too late if the 7D and all the lenses have been sold off to fund it.

In the mean time I have started to have a play with the 7D again and the 50mm by taking some portrait shots of the dogs.. Theyre not working out all too brilliantly (see other thread to help there if you can) but the more difficult the project I take on no matter its size the more likely I am to find the limits of the equipment I have and in my skill set (if you can call it that haha!).

Well it was bugging me so I had to try the Fuji system.. I've picked up an mint X-PRO1 with just under 1k shutter count as well as the 35mm f1.4 for around £500. So I'm going to give the system a go and then decide if I'll be keeping it or the Olympus. Either way, if I don't get on with it I'll likely get my money back or at least most of it and if it is for me I can always sell off the Olympus. This way, I get to keep the canon kit as I've been using it a fair amount and I'm certainly starting to enjoy it a bit more.

The out of camera results of the Fuji just seem to have a certain feel to them or character... At least this way I get to scratch that itch with out too much of a financial impact on myself.

Back