Suggestions Please

Name
Andy Grant
Edit My Images
Yes
Morning,

I have a bid on a Yashica tl electro on the bay at the moment but its body only. Any suggestions as to M42 fit lenses, around 24-35mm, but as usual cheap ones......?
I believe that the Yashica lenses themselves are pretty good but what about Pentacon for example, seem to be a lot of those about at a reasonable price or are there some hidden gems out there?

Over to you guys

Cheers

Andy

Hi Andy,

The Takumar 28mm 3.5 is very nice (though the prices have risen steeply).
Also, the Takumar 35mm 3.5 is very sharp.

Come to think of it, I'm certain that I have/had two 35mm Taks? If I do still have two, you are more than welcome to try it and if you like it then a donation to a charity would fit the bill.

Let me have a scout on the shelf.

I will be back...

Thanks Alistair, thats exceedingly kind of you. I won the camera so a try out would be excellent.
I'm off out now for the day but I'll check back later.

Cheers

Andy

+1 for Takumars, especially the SMC versions, a 28mm f3.5 usually goes for around £40 on ebay or through a dealer. The 35mm f3.5 is usually a little cheaper but for a lot more (unsure of the price!) you can get a 35mm f2 which is even more highly regarded but rarer. There is also a 24mm f3.5 but expect to pay a fortune as their fairly rare. Super Takumar's are slightly cheaper but are only single coated, however there are a few later versions with the SMC coating but only on one or two elements.

Thanks Sam, good info.

Anyone used or know about Pentacons? Are they made by Carl Zeiss?

Andy

Thanks Sam, good info.

Anyone used or know about Pentacons? Are they made by Carl Zeiss?

Andy

nifty fifty's>>>My Helios 44m and Meyer/Pentacon are excellent still very cheap and sharper compared to my super Tak 55mm f1.8...but the super Tak 35mm f3.5 is excellent.
I like my Meyer 135mm f2.8, 15 blade bokeh monster and IMHO gives more pleasing results compared to my super Tak 135mm f3.5

Hello,

Well I have looked virtually everywhere and am baffled - I cannot remember getting rid of the second 35mm Tak and it would appear the Pentacon also (I bought that from the Sales Forum). As we are child minding one of our grandchildren I would just ask a little more time as there is the 'box store' under the bed in another bedroom to sift through yet :)

During the summer I was getting in quite a bit of Asahi gear to sort a decent outfit for myself and there were various odds n things in boxes. Itried the Pentacon - it was nice but not up to Tak standard. I aslo bought a Russian Tair 11a 135mm, very nice lens.

I am being called...

No problem Alistair, whenever you get chance.

Andy

nifty fifty's>>>My Helios 44m and Meyer/Pentacon are excellent still very cheap and sharper compared to my super Tak 55mm f1.8...but the super Tak 35mm f3.5 is excellent.
I like my Meyer 135mm f2.8, 15 blade bokeh monster and IMHO gives more pleasing results compared to my super Tak 135mm f3.5

Thanks Brian, more stuff to look at. (y)

Andy

I also have that Tair, it has more blades than you can shake a stick at, I can highly recommend it.
What about a Yashica Yashinon 50mm 1.4, which I think should really be reunited with a Yashica body since it does not achieve infinity focus on a Nikon...

...in fact I ought to put my m42 stuff up for sale..

Don't think I've heard of Tair, must do research.

Andy

Thanks John, nice looking lenses.

Forgot to mention a M42 lens that I recently bought for £8.50 on ebay Pentacon 30mm f3.5:-
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400158892767

well the focussing was very stiff and I sent it back for refund...erm big mistake as I took some shots and didn't get the results before posting back and they were very sharp, so if you get a good copy it's a recommended lens.

Last edited:
Right, the house is now empty and oh so quiet. I was about to plough on and see what is what under that bed in the various boxes (that have been saved for who knows what) but, SWMBO has said NO! she will do it because 'just maybe' Father Christmas has put 'things' under there :cautious:

So as soon, as I will let you know. Oh yes, my apologies, the Russian lens I bought of here is a Jupiter 11a not Tair.

Alistair

In my experience, the Tak's are excellent. I've got the 55mm 1.8 which is outstanding.

The best M42 lens I've got though has got to be the Zeiss Pancolar 50mm 1.8. Maybe I've got a good copy, but that is a fantastic piece of glass.

OK just got a Pentacon 50mm f1.8 from evil-bay for £20.

Alistair I would still like to try the Tak if you can find it, cheers.

Andy

OK just got a Pentacon 50mm f1.8 from evil-bay for £20.

Alistair I would still like to try the Tak if you can find it, cheers.

Andy

Blimey they have gone up in price, normally you'd get a camera attached to the lens for that price.....I got my Meyer (same as Pentacon) and Helios 44m for a £1 each at a boot sale about 2 years ago. Anyway if it's a good copy you'll like it esp as you also have a poor man's macro as it focuses to about 12".

In my experience, the Tak's are excellent. I've got the 55mm 1.8 which is outstanding.

The best M42 lens I've got though has got to be the Zeiss Pancolar 50mm 1.8. Maybe I've got a good copy, but that is a fantastic piece of glass.

Well most common 50mm lenses are excellent stopped down, so unless you want something special like WO performance or bokeh and so on, you might as well get the cheapest.

Centon 50mm ( a Dixon's special :eek:)

centon50mmf8-800px.jpg

Last edited:
Excaliber2, what bike is that please? It reminds me of some I used to sell. Cant remember the make. Good value, German as I recall. Sold me mum one!

I'll put the Yashica back in storage then...;)

Whoa now, not so fast. By all means store it neatly away but keep it nearby as after I've bought my new Voigtlander lens for my R3a I will have nothing to spend my money on so who knows I may be after a 1.4 lens to try and as you said they should be re-united. :naughty:

Andy

Excaliber2, what bike is that please? It reminds me of some I used to sell. Cant remember the make. Good value, German as I recall. Sold me mum one!

It's a Kalkhoff, got it at the bootie for £4 for my wife...I use it a lot for checking out lenses.

Kiron 80-200 f4 a VG zoom
kiron80-200f4-800px.jpg

A nice lens is my Meyer M42 135mm f2.8, although some say the similar Pentacon is better.
orestor135f2-8-800px.jpg

Sorry to say Andy that we have drawn a blank on the lens. There was a period in the early summer when I was 'not firing on all cylinders' and on morphine - I can remember Asahi Pentax's coming in and going out but not the fine detail of what was on the front of what. I feel certain that the Pentacon I had was a 35mm 2.4? or 2.8? and bought off this forum.

It was in searching my feedback that I came to realise that I bought a 135mm 3.5 Tak from here!

OK mate no problem, I understand perfectly about not firing on all cylinders. Had a spell last year where the old brain went awol and I was doing many strange things.

Cheers

Andy

Back