suggestions please

Edit My Images
No
My canon 17-85 is lens has just started coming up with er 01 lens comunication problems so wiped the contacts still nothing the odd thing is it is perfectly fine above 24mm but go below this and the error appears. tried it on another camera and i get the same thing.

any help would be great

cheers

I suspect it's the not too uncommon ribbon cable failure. The aperture control in the lens is fed from the processor to the diaphragm via a ribbon cable and the constant action of zooming in and out causes the tracks on the cable to fracture.

I guess that at trip to Canon is required.

Bob

As Bob says, it'll be the aperture unit ribbon cable.
It has a tight bend in it and as it's constantly flexing it cracks over time throwing up err01 or err99 depending on which body it's mounted on.
Pretty fiddly job and certainly not for the faint hearted but it's doable for a competent diyer and the parts are easily obtainable.
Don't mess about with a soldering iron, four of the eight solder points aren't much thicker than a hair so you need a very steady hand, a big magnifier and very good soldering skills.
If you're going to do it I'd suggest you buy a complete new aperture unit/cable assembly but watch out for dust, smears and fingerprints! ;)

Back