Summer at the beach

Name
Alf
Edit My Images
Yes
Very good set, really illustrates the summer we have had. Sky looks a tad purple in #2 on my monitor but I do like the photo and I really like the ICM

Nice set, not a big fan of the hole ICM thing, #1 as said above the waves really make this, Like the comp too

Hi Alf, some comments from a newbie so take them all with 'a pinch of salt' and are intended only to be constructive....and of course only my opinion:

#1,#2 & #4 look quite soft. I am comparing to your earlier submission from Parton beach as an example which had a much 'sharper' feel. Maybe its my morning eyes :) ....or that was intentional .......or have you changed some of your Flickr upload settings?

#1 Nice composition and colours but foreground and mid-ground lack sharpness/detail. The long exposure water thing is now a bit like marmite (love/hate)....I'm still not sure myself. At first I though you must have used a very long exposure but see it was only 4secs.....so indeed sea was rough ! I think I am preferring shorter exposure times to give the idea of movement against rocks etc but not so much that it starts to look like milky soup.

#2 again nice composition, the wave coming towards you adds a lot to the picture indeed you can almost hear the sea :), same sort of comments for #1 above

#3 not sure on this one. not what I would choose but hey they said Picasso was crap ;)

#4 nice image....again comment on sharpness. Maybe more foreground detail. There appears to be a wall or rocks bottom right so maybe pulling back a bit to create more foreground across the entire bottom of the image? There could be a lot more detail along the cliff face coming from the right so some contrast adjustment in that area may help?

All IMHO ;)

First for me Alf - the patterns in the water give it the win. Great stuff. Not too keen on #3 if I'm honest but like all the rest of them.

Thanks Jason glad you like them but as for #3 ICM is like that for some people

Very good set, really illustrates the summer we have had. Sky looks a tad purple in #2 on my monitor but I do like the photo and I really like the ICM

Thanks for that Chris
I must admit I thought I had sorted that sky I just calibrated my monitor and will have another go at it

I like 1 & 2, the sea more in 1 and the sky more in 2.

Thanks Wayne

I was going to write exactly this until i scrolled down. The icm seems a bit to short on exposure duration but i bont do much icm

Thanks Jim
The ICM is more likely the oppsoite as its rather long at 1.6 sec and as you do with such things I was playing around when I was ready to leave What i did here to be different was stopped the camera mving when point at some rocks I think at the end of the expsosure giving the double expsoure effect it has.

Nice set, not a big fan of the hole ICM thing, #1 as said above the waves really make this, Like the comp too

Thanks Kellet glad you like #1
ICM is what it is.

Hi Alf, some comments from a newbie so take them all with 'a pinch of salt' and are intended only to be constructive....and of course only my opinion:

#1,#2 & #4 look quite soft. I am comparing to your earlier submission from Parton beach as an example which had a much 'sharper' feel. Maybe its my morning eyes :) ....or that was intentional .......or have you changed some of your Flickr upload settings?

#1 Nice composition and colours but foreground and mid-ground lack sharpness/detail. The long exposure water thing is now a bit like marmite (love/hate)....I'm still not sure myself. At first I though you must have used a very long exposure but see it was only 4secs.....so indeed sea was rough ! I think I am preferring shorter exposure times to give the idea of movement against rocks etc but not so much that it starts to look like milky soup.

#2 again nice composition, the wave coming towards you adds a lot to the picture indeed you can almost hear the sea :), same sort of comments for #1 above

#3 not sure on this one. not what I would choose but hey they said Picasso was crap ;)

#4 nice image....again comment on sharpness. Maybe more foreground detail. There appears to be a wall or rocks bottom right so maybe pulling back a bit to create more foreground across the entire bottom of the image? There could be a lot more detail along the cliff face coming from the right so some contrast adjustment in that area may help?

All IMHO ;)

Thanks for taking the time to comment Gary
The osftness is from combinations of light and/or sea spray on filters (sea spray is tough to clean off believe me) and for longer expsoures camera shake if the wind is bad.
The shutter speed thing is very much a matter of taste #1 is a rather long exposure for this type of thing at 4 sec mine usually more in the 1/30 to 0.5 sec range to get that flow.
Falling 200 feet or more was possible if I messed around getting the rocks below me in #4. This happens to be a shot of where I grew up played as a kid more in the middle distance usually.

#3 you like or you dont mate.

Back