Summer challenge idea?

Yv

TPer Emerita
Name
Yvonne, pronounced Eve...
Edit My Images
Yes
Evening all

I was just looking at @simon ess photo thread [or was that Chris... yes, I am losing he plot, sorry Simon :LOL: post now edited] of photos taken at Asda of all places and wondered if anyone is up for a summer photo challenge. Think along the lines of leaving it open all summer, till September say, so everyone has a chance to give it a go [more than once perhaps] so not too taxing.

The idea is to chose what would normally be a fairly mundane building, one roll of film, and see if you can come up with a set, say between 4 and 8 photos, of interesting photos.

Yes, I know, this idea will either go mad of sink without a trace, but I reckon there are a good few people in here that good do this real justice

Thoughts? Anyone hard enough? :D

Ooh yes! Count me in.

Cheers,
Chris.

:D

:bat::)

I'll give anything a go ;)

BTW anyone like the idea that Mike Johnston has come up with on The Online Photographer: essentially, make a list of your favourite photographic clichés, and try and shoot them in a non-cliché way?

:bat::)

I'll give anything a go ;)

BTW anyone like the idea that Mike Johnston has come up with on The Online Photographer: essentially, make a list of your favourite photographic clichés, and try and shoot them in a non-cliché way?

:LOL:

The cliche idea is quite hard in many ways, mainly because working out what is a cliche to begin with can be troublesome. For example, top of my cliche list would be colour popping, but you can't actually 'shoot it differently' See what you are saying though, and probably worth a try... especially for us London bods where almost every known building is a cliche, photographically speaking ;)

Ok, I'll give it a go.

Reactions: Yv
My home is quite a mundane building but i reckon i couild get half a dozen interesting shots............

If i put ME in all of 'em! Lmao

Could be tempted to give it ago Yv....thé timescale appeals......slowwwwwwwww lol

My home is quite a mundane building but i reckon i couild get half a dozen interesting shots............

If i put ME in all of 'em! Lmao

Could be tempted to give it ago Yv....thé timescale appeals......slowwwwwwwww lol

yeah thats was kind of what I thought... something in keeping with the typical F&C timescales... can't be causiing too much trouble for @Roberts with his charges getting all agitated over deadlines :D

Tis a good idea and I'm in but can somebody define "fairly mundane" for me? Surely mundane is in the eye of the beholder and the environment in which it sits.

The dictionary defines it as lacking interest or excitement; dull but as most of us find when we go somewhere new or on holiday we notice things that are different or new to us but are commonplace to people that walk past those same buildings every day.

can somebody define "fairly mundane" for me?

The dictionary defines it as lacking interest or excitement; dull .

Going on ^^ that^^ definition, i'll avoid buildings and simply do selfies :D:D

Going on ^^ that^^ definition, i'll avoid buildings and simply do selfies :D:D
Yeah but, it says dull and you're really sharp! So your selfies are not admissible :D

I may have a go. The pound shop special I put in the camera last year is still in it...

Mundane should be easy as I live in suburbia :)

Tis a good idea and I'm in but can somebody define "fairly mundane" for me? Surely mundane is in the eye of the beholder and the environment in which it sits.

The dictionary defines it as lacking interest or excitement; dull but as most of us find when we go somewhere new or on holiday we notice things that are different or new to us but are commonplace to people that walk past those same buildings every day.

:LOL: true... I would suggest castles, grand country homes [and their city equivalents] and anything overtly architechturally impressive [so for example, the shard] would be out, but other than that, as long as you can justify it as as a boring building to yourself, then that is what matters. It is afterall more about challenging yourself than each other, so if you choose something you know isn't that mundane, then its only you you are cheating.

jeez, that sounds so prissy, but you know what I mean :LOL:

:LOL: true... I would suggest castles, grand country homes [and their city equivalents] and anything overtly architechturally impressive [so for example, the shard] would be out, but other than that, as long as you can justify it as as a boring building to yourself, then that is what matters. It is afterall more about challenging yourself than each other, so if you choose something you know isn't that mundane, then its only you you are cheating.

Just look for concrete and brick crap that has been build by retail organisations and then you know it qualifies for the mundane,but,it must be away from water.:D

Edinburgh Castle, meh so boooorrring, but I'll see if I can make something off it.. :D

Just look for concrete and brick crap that has been build by retail organisations and then you know it qualifies for the mundane,but,it must be away from water.:D

Don't let Nick (Raglansurf) hear you dissing concrete. He lurves it. :D

Good idea but maybe just one or maybe two shots would say it all.

This brings up a question I've been pondering for a while.

Is a photo of a dull building in great light "better" than a great building in crap light. When photographing a great building is one basking the in the reflected glory of a great architect?

Is a photo of a dull building in great light "better" than a great building in crap light. When photographing a great building is one basking the in the reflected glory of a great architect?

:runaway: The sun isn't over the yardarm yet, how are we meant to join in such a discussion ? :exit:

***Brian, explain,please?***

One shot can show just a small part of a building and you can use your imagination what the rest looks like, OK maybe another shot of the complete building. e.g. some buildings in London where features near the top (where no one bothers to look) can be fascinating, but looking below and the building is nothing special

Last edited:
***Brian, explain,please?***

One shot can show just a small part of a building and you can use your imagination what the rest looks like, OK maybe another shot of the complete building. e.g. some buildings in London where features near the top (where no one bothers to look) can be fascinating, but looking below and the building is nothing special

That,s what this is all about,but ,you have to take a crap/mundane building to start with and I guess that if you have a winner the full shot of the building will be required. Just to test that is mundane in the first place. Why is life so difficult .

This may have been said before but for our hobby 'it's all about the light'. More often than not I'm disappointed by shots I thought would be good mainly because the light is crap. I don't think this affects black and white as much as colour but it is still a major factor, in my 'umble opinion.

Ah, the breakfast whisky.... lovely.

This may have been said before but for our hobby 'it's all about the light'. More often than not I'm disappointed by shots I thought would be good mainly because the light is crap. I don't think this affects black and white as much as colour but it is still a major factor, in my 'umble opinion.

And there is a man that can get to the lakes in a whisper. :(

Well, it is a 2 hour whisper but I also have to go to work which kinda puts a crimp in my style... :(

That,s what this is all about,but ,you have to take a crap/mundane building to start with and I guess that if you have a winner the full shot of the building will be required. Just to test that is mundane in the first place. Why is life so difficult .

Well yes but in post 1...."say between 4 and 8 photos" ;)

Well, it is a 2 hour whisper but I also have to go to work which kinda puts a crimp in my style... :(

Then get on with it ,Mr Snap and F**K the light,its mundane inner city buildings,OH would they be longer to get to then the Lakes from your Mansion? Get Roberts to drive. :)

Rephrase then. A dull field under the most amazing sunset. You'll get a good sunset photo but its not really a fully interesting photograph, or is it? :)

Forgot to say, I am in as well. :)

Rephrase then. A dull field under the most amazing sunset. You'll get a good sunset photo but its not really a fully interesting photograph, or is it? :)

A good point, well presented. (y)

Brian, you can take 36 and it will still be cheaper for you at ASDA.:D

.......but Richard being a tight arse I've only got free Photbucket with limited bandwdth so 4-8 photos posted for the challenge plus others might push me over :D:D:D

Back