summer motox!

Name
jonty
Edit My Images
Yes
i've no posted up for a while but I have been busy enjoying the blue skies and some new editing buttons I found!

heres a few for some crit and helpful tips? - ive taken so many lately is hard to know which ones to put up!

1)

besthorpe fun day by Jonty Dixon, on Flickr
2)

3)

4)

5)

6)

Last edited:
#4 and #5 are pretty neat Jonty.... but please for the love of Lenin leave the HDR alone... *scream* :D

some nice shots there, 2 would have been really nice with less of a crop. Agree with Kim leave the HDR button alone lol it can work and i do some but it has to be mild and only works on some shots. Looks like you did something on 5 as theres a halo around the rider.

cheers Suggs - theres no crop on 2 - just got a bit close! and number 1 was the wrong lens for the job really but I liked the outcome even tho its tight in the frame.

yes 5 has the same shadows and highlights edit on but to less of an extent. the sky was so blue I was losing the riders in it so played with it - obviously just a bit too much!

thanks for the comments :)

also worth cropping a bit more on the last shot to loose the head at the bottom..

What HDR programe are you using, Photomatix ?

edit i see you didnt use a HDR program, try the free trial of photomatix

Last edited:
cheers suggs - yeh didnt spot that head!

I dont have an HDR programme as such? - I am using Photo Shop and only know very very basic moves and I am at that point of trying new things just to see the results.. I wouldnt know how to start with actual HDR at the moment.

while we are on it ' Desantnik' post on a another chaps post...

"
Set the black point (use the levels too, choose the black dropper, click on the darkest bit of the subject) and then add some saturation and vibrance, perhaps +4 or 5 to both."

how do I this? quite often i see shots where the bikes really shine - is this how they enhance it? how can i get to try it...

for me less is more and i dont go over the top on the editing unless im running a pic through Photomatix (HDR) download there free trial its very easy to use with presets and sliders..

i normally just adjust the lights and darks plus highlights first then a bit of contrast if needed and tweek of saturation again if needed then a little bit of lighten shadows plus a crop. in all honestly if they need a lot of PP ill prob just scrap them anyway. i mostly use iphoto but i do also have lightroom 4. ill post up a before and after of the sme shot for you in a min

that would be cool - thanks.

I have never been into editing before really - same as you normally just some highlights and saturation maybe. just last week or so i've been playing about. the pics above didnt really need much doing I was just playing to see how it worked out and trying to enhance the subject a bit.

Really appreciate you input on this :) keep it coming :)

Aha, so it was shadow and highlights.... yes, you get an almost tone mapped/HDR look if you go a bit heavy handed with it - at least you are admitting to doing it though lol

Black point is really important - its the one thing you should try every time. Sometimes its only a minor adjustment, but having true blacks in the image really adds impact.

No idea Jonty, that RAW stuff is all voodoo to me!

have you got Lightroom Jonty ? theres blacks and whites sliders in LR4 and blacks in the older versions..

if i need to up the blacks i do it in LR4 and any cloning out etc i do in CS6

really? do you shoot jpeg? I'd love to spend a day trackside with you and learn all these things!!

Yes, JPEG!

You only really need RAW for massive editing - which isn't what most motorsport needs.

You'll find my rant about that elsewhere on here :D

It's what this place is for!

Other than the HDR look one which does nothing for me and number 1 which needs more space in front of the rider, they all work for me - Good job sir.

Andy

Ive never really been a fan myself, but each to there own - Its very easy to go over the top with that effect.

Back