Summer of 76

Could you tell us roughly which date and also where you are going over the next few years, so we can avoid the rain? :)
It’s the 20th, we used to have a barbie on the nearest Friday, and it rained 8/10. More recently we’ve gone away in this country, and it’s rained.

We’re unlikely to go on holiday often for her birthday as it’s close to the end of term, and we’re not obliged to pay the premium so we won’t generally.

I remember distinctly the Guinness adverts of that year, couple of continental lads asking for pints of 'Gwince' at the bar in the sweltering heat. The realisation of the barman that they wanted Guinness and slowly, ever so slowly, poured them a cold pint. It looked lovely in the glass, condensation clinging to the outside as the bubbles swirled to the top, hate stout though.

Pathe news cameraman may have been given the wrong instructions , but it was the 70s so maybe not

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vP6hCx5_pYs

What really looks odd to me in that vid, and I know the cameraman is not looking to film them, but the lack of rotund bodies walking up and down the street.
There's a few in there but generally people in the background who are not the subject of the filming but just happen to be there, are strikingly different physically to average joe's walking up and down the street today.
This of course is quite apart from the obviously gratuitous recording of ladies wobbly bits and fablious fashion of the time.

On this date in 76 it was still hot, so this summer just does not compare

Snip:
Some people talk like we’ve never had a proper summer between 76 and now. 84 and 95 stand out, but there have been others.

I think the warm one was 83 not 84, where we had a hot and sunny June/July like this year? You're right with 1995, that was a warm one too, but I seem to recall that was more July/Aug time, rather than late May to early July like this year? I also remember August 1990, which was another hot one, and August 2003 which still holds the record for hottest temp recorded in England. 2006 was a warm one too.

Back