SUMP: are they on the level?

Name
Rob Telford
Edit My Images
No
The Society of Unusually Mediocre Photographers, according to their web site, aim to uphold "the lower median standard of photographic practice". Their remit is to "cater for all those who cannot meet the standards of other Photographic Associations as it's easy to seek out excellence or awfulness, but engaging with genuine mediocrity is a much greater challenge". Their membership is not open to those blessed with excessive photographic skills, nor to those with a woeful dearth of talent, apparently.

£13.50 a year (bargain!): you get a membership card to flash at family weddings (the rule book says that's the only occasion when it can be used) and a SUMP badge enamelled in the society's colours of turquoise and brown.

So, anyhow, I was thinking of applying for membership as it sounds right up my street. Anyone had any experience with them? Is the badge as good as it looks in the (slightly fuzzy) photo on their web site?

Last edited:
this kind of thing would be great to give out to "wanna-be's" at weddings :p a nice SUMP business card with the www on it :D lol

It sounds a bit like a "tongue in cheek" send up to me, the price sounds about right just to keep the website and letters going out to "members"
Probably started by somebody who used to be a member of one of the other sites but got fed up of being a cash cow for a few letters after his/her name.

what about forming the "Useless Foto Organisation" or UFO for short or the "Absolute Stills Society" or ASS for short .

Realspeed

Ahem, I made it up after a couple of glasses of fine Rioja.

I still like the idea though. :)

Back