Sun Down and Sun Up at Ramsgate

Dark Star

TPer Emeritus
Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Before I toddle of to have a nose round Margate here are four I took late yesterday as the sun was going down and this morning as it was on its way up

(3 are HDRs Shhh ;))

Comments and Critique as ever appreciated :)

1) Harbour Sunset

3876450414_348550aafd_o.jpg

2) Out There With the Moon

3877544078_d6056dc7c5_o.jpg

3) On Edge

3876620049_afd489cf12_o.jpg

4) Just Up

3876635841_9d3e895358_o.jpg

Hi Dark Star, I really like all the shots but number 2 really does it for me. Try a crop to pan on the first, although I quite like a quiet foreground myself on occasion. Watch out for ghosting on pics, number 4 has this. Sometimes if I have alot of shake (or excessive movement from water, trees, etc) in the 3 pics I'll try and get away with only using 2 pics, sometimes works.
You've got the HDR about right though, for my tastes anyway. A really nice set :)

Never been to Ramsgate mate, the closest I ever got was flying in over the Thames Estuary at dawn in a British Airways 747 near the end of a 12,000 mile flight from Melbourne, it was magic!

Well anyway, love your pictures and for all they're worth here are my thoughts on each.
#1. Seems to be wanting for a subject, a point of interest. Personally I would have zoomed for a tighter shot of the nearest boats.
#2. The soft pastel tones are pleasing - the curb at bottom right is a worry but I can see that you had little choice but to include it.
#3. A glorius sunset. The blown sky bothers me, I would be tempted to crop a tad over half the sky and 25% off the left for a bolder picture.
#4. Again, do you need all that sky? IMO the image is strengthened by scroll cropping half of it out.
All in all the set has enlightened me - I feel like I've been to Ramsgate, mate!

Last edited:
Thanks all for the kind comments :)

Mark I may well give some of those croppimg suggestions a trial later on. Thanks very much for your considered comments :D Much appreciated!

Back