Sunday evening's cloud Formation

Name
Rory
Edit My Images
Yes
I decided to take the dog for a walk up the mountains around 17:30.

I'm glad I did.

3938080749_1f9fc21fbc_o.jpg

3938810370_ff9d56b0d3_o.jpg

Snowdon in the distance

3937884885_34637f2744_o.jpg

3940572474_87cb89fca0_o.jpg

Last edited:
I was expecting utter crap, what a pleasant surprise, very nice shots!

The first one in BW doesn't do it for me.
The focus is nowhere specific. The reflections in the pond are a bit too much.
Colour might tell a different story.

The colour version was deleted as i thought it was a bit too garish. The sunset filter along with the polariser has brought out the clouds quire nicely.

As for the point of interest the intention was for the cloud to lead you into the shot. It remained fairly static during the shoot. Guess I could have done a bit better then.

Yep, these are 'Top draw'!!!! Love he reflection of the clouds in the water.

Great clouds last night. I was out in the Preselis, rushing around to try and find some subject matter to set against the sky. It looks like I should have been in your neck of the woods!

I have to say that the pink filter was a big mistake, though....It would have been a great pic without it:shake:. Did you say you had a colour version of no 1?

Don't worry about the comment re. point of focus. The point of these pictures was the cloud formations. You don't need any more.

j

These are amazing shots. Very high quality.

Love these. Not so sure about #2 in B&W, but the others are stunning.

Great clouds last night. I was out in the Preselis, rushing around to try and find some subject matter to set against the sky. It looks like I should have been in your neck of the woods!

I have to say that the pink filter was a big mistake, though....It would have been a great pic without it:shake:. Did you say you had a colour version of no 1?

Don't worry about the comment re. point of focus. The point of these pictures was the cloud formations. You don't need any more.

j

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for the comment. Can you remember the good old days of black and white film?

We have a B&W competition coming up at our local club and I was after fresh material. The strange cloud formation prompted me to take a trip up to the hills and visit this particular pool.

The colour version is garish but I posted it any way....I was really after the b&W version.So using the filter was not a mistake it was deliberate.

Just as a reminder here is a link:-

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/Using-coloured-filters-with-black--white-film-4828

edit

Here is another example of using the sunset grad on a bright sunny day

3729358039_1f27e15808_o.jpg

Since I'm at it here is another version before the b&W conversion

3937966691_476442d31d_o.jpg

Last edited:
I really like the B&W conversions, clouds are fantastic. Got to be honest though, I think the last colour one is stunning, the filter has made the clouds look other worldly but thanks to the highlight on the building at the side of the lake I reckon it works. (y) good stuff

I really like the B&W conversions, clouds are fantastic. Got to be honest though, I think the last colour one is stunning, the filter has made the clouds look other worldly but thanks to the highlight on the building at the side of the lake I reckon it works. (y) good stuff

Many thanks.

Oh, and just one more thing. The only filter that was fixed was the polariser. The ND grads were hand held and moved up and down and horizontally across the front of the lens. The last thing I wanted was a "line" across the frame;)

I never used B&W actually....but I remember reading about the technique.

But I can't understand why, in the landscape version of the pool, the reflection comes up fine after the b&w conversion. Wouldn't the sky have done the same without the filter? Or could you haver used a ND grad and got the best of both worlds?

Just a thought......

I never used B&W actually....but I remember reading about the technique.

But I can't understand why, in the landscape version of the pool, the reflection comes up fine after the b&w conversion. Wouldn't the sky have done the same without the filter? Or could you haver used a ND grad and got the best of both worlds?

Just a thought......

Nik photoshop plug was used for the conversion. I selected high structure. In addition I added a touch more contrast.

Cheers,

Rory

Really like the reflections in no. 3 but don't understand why the sky is reddish and the reflections aren't!

Well done getting the peace to take these while walking the dog!

Very nice Rory, not sure personally about the colour filters you have used but the B+Ws are great.

The colour versions with the filters don't do it for me, but anyway I understand that they weren't really your point here. I think the B&Ws are very good, but I'm not sure that the high structure selection in Silver Efex was the right one - the contrast does seem a bit harsh at times. But I think I am making a subjective comment more than a criticism.

No i'm not referring to your other work but there are many cloud photos that consist of nothing but sky where as these are good landscapes aswell making them sound photographs

Hi Rory,

Great pictures. The B & W is the best for me. The colour is very artistic, but not sure if your club is anything like ours that it will do well:p

Best regards

Chris

Much prefer the last two you have posted without the filters on the sky. More pleasing imo as the colour reflected in the water is the same as the sky(y)

If I may, this is my opinion:

The first shot for me is good, but could be a lot better. Now, like with all of what I'm about to write, it's just my opinion so feel free to ignore it :D

The composition is a little off imho. I see how you have tried to use the reflection as a form of foreground interest, but I feel that if you had used more of the grass as a lead in and contrast in texture, this would have worked better. Also, if the water was as still I think it was, then a shorter exposure would have given you better and more detailed reflections. I feel that you could also afford to adjust the curves to bring the highlights out a bit more.

In the second, the composition is better, but I can't help but feeling that the mid tones could be brought out some more, and in turn, reducing the contrast in the sky a little.

In the third, as said already, the colour / use of sunset filter has made the shot look somewhat unnatural. The composition is ok though imo. The B&W version of this shot works well however, and aside from the grass in the very bottom left, I feel this shot works the best!

In the B&W shot of the ruins, I feel that you could adjust the levels in bringing the highlight slider right up to the edge of the histogram, thereby adding contrast to the shot, as at the moment it's a little flat.

I should make it clear, however, that the shots are good and have a lot of potential! Also, I am by no means a recognised authority on landscapes, so feel free to disagree with my comments :D

Last edited:
If I may, this is my opinion:

The first shot for me is good, but could be a lot better. Now, like with all of what I'm about to write, it's just my opinion so feel free to ignore it :D

The composition is a little off imho. I see how you have tried to use the reflection as a form of foreground interest, but I feel that if you had used more of the grass as a lead in and contrast in texture, this would have worked better. Also, if the water was as still I think it was, then a shorter exposure would have given you better and more detailed reflections. I feel that you could also afford to adjust the curves to bring the highlights out a bit more.

In the second, the composition is better, but I can't help but feeling that the mid tones could be brought out some more, and in turn, reducing the contrast in the sky a little.

In the third, as said already, the colour / use of sunset filter has made the shot look somewhat unnatural. The composition is ok though imo. The B&W version of this shot works well however, and aside from the grass in the very bottom left, I feel this shot works the best!

In the B&W shot of the ruins, I feel that you could adjust the levels in bringing the highlight slider right up to the edge of the histogram, thereby adding contrast to the shot, as at the moment it's a little flat.

I should make it clear, however, that the shots are good and have a lot of potential! Also, I am by no means a recognised authority on landscapes, so feel free to disagree with my comments :D

That's probably one of the best CC I've ever had on this site(y).
Thank you.

Like lots of my work I shall revisit these shots in a few weeks time (just before i need them printing for the camera club comp) and I will probably think "What was i doing ?"

I shall take on board your comments. Many thanks.

Back