Sunderland Airshow 30th/31st July

Name
Karl
Edit My Images
Yes
Anyone attending this? Im really looking forward to it, having never photographed aircraft before.

I plan on using my 1000d, EF-S 55-250, TV mode and adjust iso to suit an aperture of around f8.

160-200th second for the slower aircraft, 400-500th second for the fast movers

Just got to wait on the weather now :shrug:

Thought it would have had alot of interest

Could meet up if you fancy..just down the road in Peterlee. I've got a1000d too.

Sorry Karl - long way from Oggy Towers.

One thought though - when taking pictures of fast jets there is no limit to the shutter speed. The faster the better. I use AV and set the apperture as best for the lens. I then use ISO to get a good speed.

It gets more difficult with high performance propellor aerobatic planes (Edges, Extras, RV8s, Pitts etc). Not particularly fast in a straight line but can change direction very quickly. If you use a high speed to get them sharp, you risk freezing the prop.

The Vulcan display is better (louder (y)) this year. Enjoy.

I think im going to the Airshow, had second thoughts when I saw the lack of better planes like in past years and the Red Arrows wont be there.
I took loads of photographs a couple of years ago using just a 150mm lens, but this year i've got the 300mm ready to go.

I'll be wandering around wearing my blue Talk Photography camera strap, so give me a shout if you see me

The slower shutter speed should be OK to capture the movement of the blades of prop aircraft and helicopters. For jets, I'd go faster than that, 1/1000 or more if the light is good enough. I nearly always use shutter priority for airshows (is that TV mode on Canons?), and let the aperture sort itself out.

Unless you want a blurred background when shooting the low level aircraft in the hills. ;)

Fair call. Most of my aircraft shooting is around flat airfields so I do not get that problem. Are you thinkinh Mach Loop?

More than likely be popping down on the Sat. I'm even considering the pre-party on Fri night, 10cc are playing live. I live about a mile away :)
I've just got the kit 42-150 Olympus but I've a Vivitar 300m OM (+adapter). It'll give me 600mm on a x2 crop sensor but it's a pain in the arm to hold :(
I may even just concentrate on the ground displays and general occasion, given the limitations of my kit.
Last year I could have had some decent shots from work (Echo24 building). One of the helicopters flew down the river, right past me (having a sly smoke out the back) :) This year, I'm day-shift Sun so I'll try harder!

Back