Sunderland Airshow - Friday Evening

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
Popped along to my local show on Friday in the hope we'd be treated to the glorious late evening light we had in 2013. Sadly it wasn't to be, hence these are all a bit...grey. The evening show is the 'launch' event for the main show days but usually throws up some decent displays and avoids the usual issues on Sat/Sun of avoiding people whose main aim is to drink their own body weight in Fosters. The crowd line at Sunderland is a loooong way away and everything except the Tutor was a struggle, hence most of these (except some of the Reds shots) are at 700mm and cropped. The Typhoon display was superb, watching it in near-darkness highlighted just how much of the display Jonny spends in burner. Excuse the noise in some of them, some of the Typhoon shots are at ISO 4000.

Grob Tutor - Sunderland Airshow 2015 by JDE_Photography, on Flickr

Grob Tutor - Sunderland Airshow 2015 by JDE_Photography, on Flickr

T2 Role Demo - Sunderland Airshow 2015 by JDE_Photography, on Flickr

T2 Role Demo - Sunderland Airshow 2015 by JDE_Photography, on Flickr

BBMF - Sunderland Airshow 2015 by JDE_Photography, on Flickr

Red Arrows - Sunderland Airshow 2015 by JDE_Photography, on Flickr

I think that they are some of the best photos that i have seen of an air show - Ok it was grey but you have captured the thrill, power and speed of these machines. The 'night' ones have an added dimension.
The ones on Flickr are also excellent, partic Synchro 75 - is that for real??!!
Polish Mig 29 nice shots too.
Twister Duo are incredible.
(y):clap:

Absoulutley fab images love the one of the reds also the typhoon.

Have to agree, what an excellent set, got me considering going on the Friday evening next year. @john_e are the crowds really that much smaller, compared to the weekend?

Definitely some of the best air show pictures I have seen, great timing. I looked at your Flickr site and wasn't disappointed, well done on a great set. I like the wildlife pics too, that's more in my genre. Thanks for sharing John (y)

They're a great taster of the day's events but for me the Typhoon in 12 and 14 are brilliant.

Do you handhold the 500mm or use a tripod and gimbal mount?

got me considering going on the Friday evening next year. @john_e are the crowds really that much smaller, compared to the weekend?

We were there last year on the friday when it was cancelled due to the sea fret and the crowds were ok, plenty of room to get set up if you wanted to, hardest thing was finding the best vantage point.

An impressive set, I do like No 10 and the contrails off the wing tips.

Have to agree, what an excellent set, got me considering going on the Friday evening next year. @john_e are the crowds really that much smaller, compared to the weekend?

We arrived just a few minutes before flying started and got a spot right in front of crowd centre (the lighthouse) but down on the walkway below. Getting in and parking up was busier than I've seen it before but we did arrive later than normal. The crowds seemed to evaporate after the Reds finished.

Definitely some of the best air show pictures I have seen, great timing. I looked at your Flickr site and wasn't disappointed, well done on a great set. I like the wildlife pics too, that's more in my genre. Thanks for sharing John (y)

Thank you. :)

Do you handhold the 500mm or use a tripod and gimbal mount?

I handhold it, I don't even own a tripod big enough to put it on, I've seen loads of people using big lenses on gimbals at airshows but I just think it'd be too difficult to track fast moving jets. I may be wrong but handholding works for me.

The ones on Flickr are also excellent, partic Synchro 75 - is that for real??!!

It is indeed, it's been put together to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the Battle of Britain. The full-frame version of that shot has all of both aircraft with plenty of space around them, I just preferred the tighter crop with the Typhoon pilot looking across at the Spitfire.

A really nice set, i was there on the Saturday, and like you say it was very crowded, but the weather was reasonably nice to us (well until the Red Arrows display at least)

As i was camping up near Beamish i haven't had much time to sort through mine yet, but hope to get them sorted through this evening

#10 is a cracker though, and the Typhoon dusk shots are great, you can really see the power from that burner ;)

Some cracking shots there, makes me wish I'd bothered my backside to get there on the Friday evening instead of the Saturday.

Photograph 16 is superb, that's a wall hanger for me!!!

I handhold it, I don't even own a tripod big enough to put it on, I've seen loads of people using big lenses on gimbals at airshows but I just think it'd be too difficult to track fast moving jets. I may be wrong but handholding works for me.

Thanks. I thought you would most likely handhold. I'd imagine your arms felt as though you'd had a good workout by the following day. :)

It's not too bad as long as you don't try to track every second of every display. So often at airshows I hear shutters blatting away constantly throughout every display act and these are people with shorter lenses than mine and I know the jet is a speck in my viewfinder so I do wonder what they end up with.

A long/heavy lens means you watch less of the display through a viewfinder which is always a bonus. :)

I struggle to track with a 70-300, I'd be lost with anything longer and heavier.

So often at airshows I hear shutters blatting away constantly throughout every display act and these are people with shorter lenses than mine and I know the jet is a speck in my viewfinder so I do wonder what they end up with.
They weren't brought up with 36 frames on a roll of film. :)

Back