Sunflowers sunset at Hitchin

Agree that it is a fabulous shot, but also think that it would benefit from a tad more contrast. Just my modest view...

Looks like 2 schools of thought emerging from the above...
For me, I LOVE it.
Such soft, subtle colours and a gorgeous palette.
That would be hung on my wall, especially for the long winter nights ahead (maybe...)

It's good as it is.
I like it.

Fabulous shot :plus1:

Agree that it is a fabulous shot, but also think that it would benefit from a tad more contrast. Just my modest view...

Looks like 2 schools of thought emerging from the above...
For me, I LOVE it.
Such soft, subtle colours and a gorgeous palette.
That would be hung on my wall, especially for the long winter nights ahead (maybe...)

Thanks for the comments I would love to see it on the wall but just dont tell the wife she's banned me from anymore photos on the walls - the house is beginning to look like a gallery rather then a home.

A nice pic, but I feel the shadows could be a bt deeper. Try lifting contrast a little & maybe lowering the black point.

I 100% agree about the foreground having too little contrast. I would guess this is the result of very forceful shadow recovery. You can actually see it is a bit grainy / noisy there too. Some more saturation in the flowers certainly wouldn't hurt as they are really sole performer.

However the sky is far too contrasty already. The clouds are more or less as dark as the trees in the distance. That's like totally impossible. I bet they were light blue to grey or just sort of hazy. What's going on at the top could be expected only in an expressionist painting. I can't even think what has been done with the sky but frankly it needs to be dialed back a lot.

Being picky I would clone out the people further back.

---
love the sunflowers and they are a great subject.
In general my comment would be that I would have shot the sunflowers into the opposite direction taking advantage of that lovely sunlight and come back with a colourful and bright shot that barely needs a touch of editing. Do the easy shot first and only then move on to experimental stuff. They are so hard to pull off cleanly with sun still so high up and I totally can't understand why everyone here is so obsessed with shooting this way?

Back