Sunrise and sunset at sea

Name
Cat
Edit My Images
Yes
These are my first photos up here so I'd like feedback but please be gentle :)
I have a DSLR due to arrive on Wednesday :D but these were taken with my point and shoot some time ago and I rather like them so I'm curious as to what people think of them and what could have been done differently to improve them. I have't done any post processing and wouldn't know where to start so comments on that would be welcome too.
They were taken on a boat so I'm sorry if the horizons aren't entirely straight!
Just looking for clues on where to start when the 400D arrives!

2584282271_9d221f14c1.jpg

2585111572_44e3857397.jpg

2585111354_54e836bac9.jpg

Hmm... Flickr seems to have both shrunk them and lightened them, any ideas on how to avoid this?

Thanks folks :) It's great to get such positive feedback - I have to say that I think I was lucky with the light and clouds, I'm very, very rarely up at dawn but maybe I'll have to try it more often when the new camera arrives!

Very nice shots - #2 for me it has a real painterly style!

3 very good images

They look lovely and pieceful, nice colours too.....almost makes me want to paint a large sharks fin in there....der, dum, der, dum, der, dum....:D

Simon

I like all 3 shots, love the mood in No.2 best. Im in the same boat as yourself (excuse the pun :LOL::LOL: ) as I recently upgraded from a p&s to a 40D. Best of luck with your 400D & keep them coming (y)

They are excellent shots that anyone would have been chuffed to take with a DSLR. What type of P & S did you take them with ?

Umm, it's an Olympus camedia C-370 - bought at Christmas 2004 IIRC. I messed around exposing with different proportions of sky and sea until I got an effect that I liked then re-composed the shot and took it.

I have to admit that after a day of having the 400D it's driving me totally nuts. I need to re-read the manual but I miss having the live view where I can actually see what the finished result will look like. I'm going to have to do a lot of bracketing exposures and adjusting things in photoshop. I have no doubt that it has the potential to produce much better photos than the point and shoot but whether I will have the patience to learn how to get them I'm less sure. Still, it is 1am and hopefully I will feel a bit more positive about it in the morning!

Thanks for the compliments everyone, I don't think I'll be putting up anything from the 400D for a while :)

They look lovely and pieceful, nice colours too.....almost makes me want to paint a large sharks fin in there....der, dum, der, dum, der, dum....:D

Simon

Oh, and no sharks but there were plenty of whales and dolphins (which is what I was out there looking for!) but they were photographed with the film SLR with a longer lens (and still mainly looked like smudges on the horizon!).

Excellent exposure for the second image, technically as close to perfect as you're going to get with current sensor tech (imo). jolly good.

I love the first, but I think you're right about the second two being a bit light.

Welcome to the world of DSLR. I hope you have an understanding partner/bank manager.

hey vey nice set there, Number 1 is my favourite, the colours are brilliant, especially the sun behind the clouds, look forward to seeing more from you when the DSLR comes

They're all great shots.

I find them incredibly calming. :baby:

Back