Sunrise at Dead Horse Point, Utah USA

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
And for my 1000th post, a couple of photos taken in Dead Horse Point State Park, Utah, USA. It gets its name from a time in the 1800s when a large number of wild horses were corralled in to that upper level within the river bend in photo no. 1 and fenced in. After a short while an opening was made in the fence so that they could escape, but nobody stuck around to make sure that it happened. The horses failed to find their way out and all died due to lack of water.

This first one is Dead Horse Point itself, a Velvia 120 film scan, taken at sunrise. I got up at 3am to get here in good time, stumbling along in total darkness along the rocky track with a small Mini Maglite torch to reach the viewpoint. The next day I travelled along the dirt track seen below in my 4x4 from a point some 20 miles to the left as far as the river bend seen here. It was a superb drive and a great day out. There was another 5 miles or so of more track but I chickened out and turned back because of the steep narrow hairpin ascent to the main road at the other end.

p221505587.jpg

This one is another shot of Dead Horse Point Park, but this time taken from a Cessna 172 aeroplane, normal 5D digital. This area is just to the left of that in the first one, with the same river bend at the bottom, and the dirt track continuing back to my starting point. The vaguely triangular flat area just to the left of centre is the film location for the end scenes in Thelma and Louise, the final chase, and where they drive over the edge. Information acquired from the resident park ranger. So no, it wasn’t filmed in the Grand Canyon, and other sources stating otherwise are wrong.

p163135296.jpg

This park is alongside Canyonlands National Park, which itself is not far from Arches National Park. It's an area well worth visiting.

Lovely shots. I have been here and no picture can really do justice to the size of the place, it is, to coin a phrase, "awesome".

Well done for getting up at 3 am.

David

Amazing shots.

Thank you Mitch, Willid and arc. Put Utah (south) on your list of places to go.

Back