Sunrise in the Lake District suggestions

Edit My Images
Yes
Next Thursday/Friday I'm having a bit of a mad moment.

Getting up and setting off at 4am, collecting a friend and driving to the Mach loop to try and catch some planes.

Following that, take in some sites before getting to Crosby Beach to catch 'Another Place' at sunset.

Quick curry and the a drive up to the Lake District to get set up ready for sunrise/first light. Thereafter some random shots around the lakes before coming home.

I *might* try some star trails while I'm waiting.

I'm after some suggestions for where to go for the sunrise shot.

We may well have time to kill between Mach loop and Crosby beach. Any suggestions for places to go there would also be appreciated.

Also, shoot into the sunrise, shoot with sun behind or shoot at 45 degrees?

Personally I would separate the Mach Loop trip and the Lake District trip.

The Mach Loop is a full day, you don't want to leave the hillside too early and get car parked by a late, this time of year if on Cad West in the afternoon I personally would stay till 7pm. Then you need a local sunset, Cregennan Lakes or the view from near the Bwlch looking back towards Cadair Idris if it all gets colourful perhaps.

Then get in the Red Lion at Dinas Mawddwy for a cheap but filling meal, and drive up to Northern Snowdonia. Do your astro and be on location for an awesome sunrise somewhere. If nothing comes to fruition spend some time at Dinorwig quarry or head into the forests and do the Fairy Glen if waterfalls is more your thing.

Thanks for your reply Craig.

Staying in north Wales makes much more sense but I really wanted to do Crosby Beach at sunset and from that point I had time to kill anyway until sunrise so the trip up to the lakes took care of that!

Had an amazing time.

3am start to get to Wales. Stopped for a full welsh breakfast in Welshpool and then on to Bywlch.

Clambered up the mountainside across the boulders and over a fence only to be met by a group of fellow togs who had been there since 7am[emoji33]

Nothing at all happened till about 3pm (the published timetable said 11-12:30) and then a few jets came past. We left about 4pm as we were told the trip to Liverpool could take a long time in rush hour.

Drove to Liverpool, found 'Another Place on Crosby Beach. Had some time to kill before sunset so got s bite to eat. Returned for sunset to find the tide had gone out. Took some shots. It was a clear cloud free night so not spectacular but good enough.

Then went for a curry, drive to the Lakes, scouted out the selected spot (Grassmere) and slept in the car.

Returned at 4am to catch first light, only to be met by some fellow togs doing the same thing. What are the chances of that happening?

Sounds like a busy trip. I used to rush around like that but realised you're far more productive if you take your time in one area, otherwise it can be quite hard to relax and settle into your surroundings. Knowing the tide times are a must and yes you're very likely to meet other photographers at well known locations, especially at or close to weekends. I do really like your last picture, Grasmere is a lovely place

You are probably right. Given the luxury of time I would perhaps have caught some more jets. I don't think I would have achieved much more on Crosby beach and, of course, the opportunities in the Lakes are endless.

I had intended to catch a waterfall shot but in the end was too tired. Plus I objected to paying £5 to park in an empty car park at 6am!

I set out with a firm view of what I wanted and managed to get most of it.

My next trip will quite possibly be to a local Air Force base to try to catch the jets taking off.

Thanks for your kind comment on my grasmere photo. Will probably frame that

You are probably right. Given the luxury of time I would perhaps have caught some more jets. I don't think I would have achieved much more on Crosby beach and, of course, the opportunities in the Lakes are endless.

I had intended to catch a waterfall shot but in the end was too tired. Plus I objected to paying £5 to park in an empty car park at 6am!

I set out with a firm view of what I wanted and managed to get most of it.

My next trip will quite possibly be to a local Air Force base to try to catch the jets taking off.

Thanks for your kind comment on my grasmere photo. Will probably frame that

£5 for car parking .? At 6am ? Why ? Surely no one there at that time ?

#TrueStory

The car parks used to be national trust but are now privately run with infra red cameras reading your number plate on the way in. You then put your car registration into the machine otherwise you pay a fine.

Bloody joke at 6 am. Even worse was the fact I had to pay for stopping between 2am and 5am!

#TrueStory

The car parks used to be national trust but are now privately run with infra red cameras reading your number plate on the way in. You then put your car registration into the machine otherwise you pay a fine.

Bloody joke at 6 am. Even worse was the fact I had to pay for stopping between 2am and 5am!

The car parking can be frustrating, but there are lay bys nearby where you can park for free and they should be clear at that time of day. Good luck for your next trip!

Back