Sunset at Seascale

Name
Donna
Edit My Images
Yes
Sunsets to me are either Wow or Ok. :naughty: Here are four of mine, which category do you think they are in? :cautious:

TP_DSC5082-2.jpg

TP_DSC5067-2.jpg

TP_DSC5091-2.jpg

TP_DSC5086-2.jpg

Thanks for looking, C&C appreciated.

Hi Donna,

I like sunsets and have been trying to get some at Avebury but reckon I have been suffering with the same as you. Not enough clouds!

1. Is a very nice image with all the correct bits in it, but it just needs a bit more colour in the sky, which of course would have happened with more clouds!

2. Is just too central. Needs to be cropped with the sun off centre with again more colour.

3. Probably the best shot, but it would be good to see more definition in the person if you can bring it out.

4. See what you are trying to do, but cannot get too excited by this one.

Only my opinion of course.

Best regards

Chris

Hi Donna,

Do you have Lightroom? If so, for nos. 1 & 2, you could use the graduated filter to under expose the sky and hopefully give a little more colour/detail. I think this would make 2 good shots into great ones.
No. 3 is lovely and as has been said, shame the person is very dark.
No. 4 doesn't impress as much as the first 3.

Thanks for the comments guys. I know No.4 is the weakest, it was touch and go whether I posted it at all.

Hi Donna,

Do you have Lightroom? If so, for nos. 1 & 2, you could use the graduated filter to under expose the sky and hopefully give a little more colour/detail. I think this would make 2 good shots into great ones.
No. 3 is lovely and as has been said, shame the person is very dark.
No. 4 doesn't impress as much as the first 3.

Yes I have got LR but the LR results compared to these (Nikon Capture NX2) were pretty naff.

No. 3, for mee, too. A pity the person wasn't silhouetted against a brighter bit of sea or sand. But you can't have it all. the others I'm not so keen on - too much burned out sun.

No.3 is a wow and the others are ok

Kirk

Thanks for the comments guys. I know No.4 is the weakest, it was touch and go whether I posted it at all.

Yes I have got LR but the LR results compared to these (Nikon Capture NX2) were pretty naff.

I like 4 Donna, has a fair amount of layers to it which works well imo. Followed by 3 for me, reminds me of an American sunset, don't ask me why:LOL:

You do better than I ever do shooting into the sun(y)

just had a quick play with #2 , it looks well good when it is richened up :)

Hi Donna, the first 2 have great lead in lines and #3 is beautiful. (y) I loke the idea of popping the sun behind the marker too in #4 (y)
I think I would have popped on the 400mm and got a close up of the Sun and mountains if I had of been there looking at that light as it looks stunning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems like I'm in the minority (of one!), but I like no.1 best, just more of interest I reckon. Beautiful shot.

Weirdly no.3 which everyone else loves is my least favourite. Sorry.

Beautiful shots Donna, was round that area a few weeks ago , Seascale never looked so appealling :)

Wow so much interest! Many many thanks for all your replies and it still amazes me how different shots appeal to different people. It is only 20 mins from where I live so I will have to go back in the next couple of weeks while the sun is setting over the Isle of Man and take a longer lens next time.

You make Seascale look completely different! The 3rd looks like a holiday destination.
My Grandad lives there, so I'll have to pop down and see if I can get some sunset shots.
If it's ok, can I show the pics to him, he'll love them.

3 is a defo WOW ans #2 is pretty close simply because of the way the light plays on the wet beach. The others are pleasant. :)

Yes - 3 is WOW.

Hi Donna

all great shots what filters are you using ?

No1 lovely

No2 I think maybe waiting untill the sun was lower would improve this or stronger grad filter

no3 as has been said shame the walker/runner wasn't silhouetted against the sunlight

no4 great idea just the suns too bright for me on this one

Hi Donna,
First 3 are great and I wouldn't change anything.
No2 is my favourite - I think it would be wrong if the sun was moved off center.

No4 didn't work for me.

But each to his/her own that's why photography is an art form.

Last edited:
Number three for me, foreground, background, the figure silhouetted.
Did you crop something out though?

great set - and good discussions/comments - love how everybody gets something different from the pictures.
My personal favourite is 2 - love the shine and textures on the beach and overall colours you've captured.

Nice set Donna 1 & 3 work best for me - lovely tones there.

*scratches head* cannot see any pics ? most odd:bang:

Back